“Amazing Tranquil Place”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Amazing Tranquil Place”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We returned home yesterday evening after our 4th annual visit. We love Hoarcross Hall, yes it has had its problems over the years (but that has never detracted from a wonderful relaxing & peaceful stay) I am pleased to report that this year there are wonderful new beds & decor in the wet lounge area and many public areas are fresh & newly painted.

The food as always was excellent. The 3 course al a carte evening meal is wonderful quality & value (it costs a mere £30.00 for non residents) & having to eat gluten free is never an issue........ all items on the menu are marked either gluten free, vegetarian, nut or dairy free.....it is so nice not to be considered a nuisance when you go out to eat...and if there is nothing suitable on the menu, they would happily cook you something else. The evening dinner was so good we are hoping to talk the boss into having the Christmas do at Hoarcross this year & we are hoping to fit in another weekend in October !!

This visit we chose to have our first day lunch in the champagne bar (The bar attendant was delightful & the food delicious) ....as sometimes you can just eat too much if you pay the extra for the restaurant lunch on the first day. We do miss the poached salmon on the Oasis restaurant buffet at lunchtime though.....it was always a winner! The new management seem to be fine tuning & refining everything...cutting out duplications, many treatments for residents are now in the day spa and the old residential treatment reception area is now a nail bar. Residents now check in & wait for treatments at day spa reception....and it works really well.

As always all the staff in all areas were helpful, polite & friendly. Our only minor gripe was that the poor reception staff had a nightmare trying to check us & other residents out, the system wasn't working too well and kept crashing and declining cards. in all we wasted about 35 mins trying to pay. It was a bit stressful as we had treatments booked that we needed to get to! It would be much easier if each resident guest could be given their own personal account even if sharing a room. That way it wouldn't confuse the system or humans when people are trying to split bills & pay part cash, part card & part gift voucher etc.

All in all a fantastic weekend see you again soon !

Room Tip: Princess Alice 110 has a massive Jacuzzi bath in the main bathroom & also a seperate newly refu...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JudeG2005
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear JudeG 2005,

Thank you for your review, it’s great to see you want to come back as soon as you have left us.
So sorry about the wait at check out, we are in talks with our software company and do realise our guests need reference numbers each not per room, we are working on a solution to this and hope it will be on offer soon.

We are so pleased to hear you like the food so much, we have had a new head Chef Start with us, so new exciting things are coming from him very soon.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

A lovely spa hotel with beautiful settings, grand interior and decent rooms. We had a classic double, which was a reasonable size, clean and had nice aromatherapy bathroom amenities. Our room overlooked the Italian styled gardens.

The spa itself had plenty of areas to explore, including a salt water and chlorinated pools, foot massage pools, jacuzzis, saunas, steam room with eucalyptus, solarium, hot and cold water features including mists and douches, cold water plunge pool, heated ceramic beds, kniepp foot massage pools, water neck massage seats and a cave tranquility area. Complimentary robes and slippers were a nice touch.

The dinner was a distaster however but have reviewed separately under the restaurant.

Afternoon tea was the highlight for me, with prosecco or champagne, large variety of scones, cakes, desserts and finger sandwiches, plus unlimited teas hand picked after a small description given by a staff member to help select your prefered tea. The rare silver tip oriental tea was particularly nice. Well worth the £38 for two people.

Breakfast was excellent, including full English options, toasts, lots of fruits and cereals, some pastries and fresh juices.

However there were a few niggles preventing the 5 stars. Firstly the complimentary wifi was unpredictable. Phones and tablets wouldn't hold the signal if you moved or turned it off, meaning having to forget the network and re connect and enter passwords - very time consuming. Secondly the digital tv in the room had a few channels without sound, and the thirdly the bath in the classic room was quite small - if you are 6ft you won't be able to sit comfortably, and it's quite shallow as well.

The final niggle was with the bill at the end, as they forgot to take off the spa discount and charged us for 2 nights dining in their restaurant.

Overall a great weekend, and would probably return, but i am glad we didn't pay for their 2 night classic package online which included the in house dining options as we would have spent a lot more and been very disappointed. We booked via booking.com for BB.

If you have the afternoon tea you won't need lunch or a big dinner! If you fancy a different dining experience, there is a gastro pub half a mile down the road with a great menu.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Pughio83
Dear Pughio83,
Thank you for taking the time to write us review.

I am pleased you like our hotel and enjoyed some of the magnificent spa facilities, I agree the afternoon tea is a wonderful experience and very filling.

Unfortunately due to our location our Wifi signal is not something we can improve on, we have updated our rooters and will always continue to get this improved with any new technology that comes out.

I am thrilled you feel you would be happy to return.
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Have been a returning customer at hoar cross hall for 10 Years, this time is definitely the worst and will not be returning again to spend my hard earned cash! We stayed in a lady Annabella suite which was dated with paint coming off and dirty floors. The food was awful at dinner and the staff were very unhelpful. I cannot believe how different and experience we have had. After asking to speak to a manger three times I realised he was not coming. I will vote with my feet and never return. Previously I have not believed the bad reviews on here but after experiencing problems myself I people have been very nice with them... Thanks hoar cross for making a relaxing stay unbearable!

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
18 Thank perry91
Dear Perry 91,

I was most concerned to read your review following your recent stay.

I am even sadder to hear this coming from a loyal and regular guest, please contact me directly and I will promise I will give your concerns and issues the attention they deserve.

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

Essex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I stayed at Hoar Cross in June 2014 for 1 night in the Royal Suite.

We checked in around 11am, here we were given all the information that we needed.
A map for the building, information on booking breakfasts, lunch, dinner, times for our spa treatments and given our robes and towels for use.
You could also get a tour but we decided not to as one of my friends had been here before.

We were then directed to the room for complementary tea and coffee.
As the room wasn't ready, we gave our luggage to the porter and took our day bag and went to the changing rooms to get our swimwear on. Changing rooms were clean and tidy.

I had a deep tissue massage, Danielle performed this massage on me and it was great. You had a choice on how much pressure you wanted and also I found that she was very informative and gave you advice once the massage was completed.

Our room was amazing (The Royal Suite). It had a lounge area which included dinning table, sofas and TV, 2 double bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms, private sauna, private treatment room, 3 balcony patios and private hot tube on the balcony.

Before dinner we went to the champagne bar and ordered our drinks. Whilst having our drinks we listened to the pianist.

Dinner was a 3 course meal, I had a prawn starter, belly of pork main and creme brulee for desert. These courses were delicious.

Breakfast is a buffet, you could have bacon, eggs, sausage etc or you could have a healthy option, cereal or fruit.

The hotel grounds are amazing and very beautiful, I would recommend a stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Prebook your lunch and dinner. If staying overnight take 1 night bag and 1 day bag, as you cannot...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mr_America,

Thank you for writing us this great review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay so much, the royal suite is wonderful and with its own private outside hot tub also makes a great honeymoon retreat or just a great place to chill out with good friends.

Thank you for the kind comments on our gardens I will pass these on to our hard working gardening team.

Nottingham
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed in the Royal Suite with 3 friends for 2 nights on a special offer - 2 for the price of one. Two of my friends have been going 2 or 3 times a year for 9 years so we thought this was a good enough recommendation.
The hotel is beautiful, as are the grounds and the suite was lovely and big with two double bed rooms both ensuite, a dining/living area and out door hot tub on one of the balconies. The complimentary toiletries, drinks etc were a nice touch - decent quality.

The first issue was that the room smelt (imagine someone has just been to the toilet) but we hoped this would dissipate with the windows opened (it did but only slightly and lingered throughout the two days). The next issue was that the hot tub was filthy with scum on the surface and a dirt ring round he waterline. The hotel was only able to clean it after 5pm for some reason but did offer us money off the bill and a glass of champagne each which was a nice gesture.

The lunch in the day spa restaurant was delicious with a good choice of food although this turned out to be the same menu as that in the restaurant in the evening, which was a shame.

The day spa is very clean and modern with clearly updated changing rooms; the same could not be said for the residents' changing room which was old and dirty in places - needs modernising.

The treatments were lovely and the staff are super, really friendly and knowledgable about the products used and techniques.

The Plantation Restaurant was a little disappointing with queues to be seated of half an hour or more and the food was not of the same standard as the day spa restaurant.
On the last day there was a strong smell of sewage around the spa - not what you want at a spa!
Our friends said that our 2 days were not representative of what the spa is usually like and it was clearly due to the fact that they were fully booked because of the offer and had not staffed up enough so I wouldn't go again when an offer like that is on. Having been to Eden Hall (it's sister day spa in Nottinghamshire) many times I would prefer to go there as they have it spot on there. Hoar Cross has the potential to be amazing but needs a little updating in the residents' area and a little more thought when fully booked.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Travelpony
Dear Travel Pony,

Thank you for writing us a review, I pleased you liked the royal suite and grounds.
I do apologise for the smell in your bathroom, I am happy to read you did bring this to someone’s attention and were compensated for this problem.

As we are so rural we do sometimes have a smell coming of the surrounding farmers fields if they have just been sprayed, I’m afraid we have no control in this regard.

Our refurbishment is now underway and the next big part is the check in desk for residential guests, this is followed by many other areas over the coming months.

I hope we can welcome you back again to see all the wonderful changes sometime in the future.
Midlands England
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Have already sent my feedback direct to the hotel. This is intended for reference for those doing their homework before deciding where to stay. I wish I had read an honest report before wasting so much money.
Stay started badly with no information on the spa/changing facilities/or restaurants available for lunch. Directed to a lounge for a complimentary coffee and from there I was on my own! No bathrobe/slippers or map. I eventually found a very nice lady who worked in the office downstairs willing to show me round and left me with a robe and towel. A note here ..always ... ask for two towels. If you find after being in the spa you towel is damp its a long embarrassing walk to the gym or day reception area for a dry replacement. That's assuming you will find these desks with the maze of corridors, doors and stairways.
The hotel is now joined to the day spa giving a choice of two pools and assorted saunas/steam relaxation areas. Just as well as once day guests arrive the place is very busy. The best part of having overnight accommodation is being able to make use of the facilities early morning and after 5.30pm. However it is the accommodation that gave me reason to complain.
The room had black mould around the windows, the wallpaper was worn and ripped in places. it was sold as a double but should have only been for single occupancy, yet I was charged a supplement. My view overlooked the bins! There was a creeping jungle around my window which made me look for insects .. no insects but ...behind the bed was a dirty tissue.
Having provided feedback and received a reply from customer relations I now know I only had to ask for a better room .. they were available just not offered to me!
The evening meal was poor. Wanting a light diet I opted for the fish but it came encased in fatty streaky bacon and was an unappetising grey colour from being stewed in a Mediterranean mix of veg. Leaving most of it I felt chocolate torte was going to be a treat. Wrong! If you can imagine chocolate flavoured butter then you are close. No coffee is served with the meal and lots of items come with a hefty supplement as do side dishes of veg. If you want chips then you are in luck they appear at all the meal times even breakfast ... triple cooked ... just in case one frying in oil is not enough. I know everyone on a spa break isn't necessarily looking for healthy options but you would at least assume they would feature on the menus. I had to ask for fruit at lunch time.
I had one massage at the end of the first day. The therapist collected me from the central lounge wearing no shoes probably to show off her shiny polished toes. This was unprofessional and didn't bode well for the treatment. The room was hot and claustrophobic, the music too loud and the massage poor. For the first time ever I found myself wishing it would end so I could escape to fresh air and get a drink of water. Thank goodness I had no further appointments scheduled.
I am told the hotel can do better ... the chef can do better ... they have better rooms .. better therapists ... pity I didn't get any of this as standard. If I go back and spend more money then I just might get a better experience. Give me a minute to ponder .. I'm £400 worse off after my two night stay ... hhhhmmmmm ..... no thank you. You have already given me a very poor experience why would I risk more of my hard earned salary to let you try again.
If you plan to stay and my advice is try somewhere else or at the very least go bed and breakfast tariff, there are a couple of very nice pubs close by ... but ... take note ... complain ... complain .. complain. I know its not relaxing ... I know you plan on not getting stressed but actually this company only gives you what you pay for when you do it seems.

Room Tip: Basically don't accept anything that's first offered . Avoid 214 unless you like looking at...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
6 Thank UKguests
Dear Uk guest,
Thank you for your review, we have had private correspondence and a sincere apology and offer has been made to you. However if I may just address a few of the points you have made, some of our therapist choose not to wear shoes so that when they are moving around the treatment room no noise is being made to help the relaxation process as some guests like to fall asleep during a treatment.

We always have several salads on offer every day in both our lunch time restaurants and we do side salads in both the bar and a la carte dinning room. Our chefs will always cook something of menu if a specific request is made too.

Once again I do apologise for the problem with your room, please always call down to reception if you are unhappy with any aspect of your room or stay whilst here, and our duty manager will always try to put any issues right immediately so that you enjoy your visit and leaving know we do care about your experience with us.

Stoke on Trent
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I love it at Hoar Cross Hall we always have a good time, and I would like to thank you toHoar Cross for looking at my comments regarding the last stay, and would like to say thank you very much for the offer of a free day spa.
I found that they dealt with the comments very quickly, we be going back and stopping over again.
Spa is wonderful,and the food is to good for words. The classes are very good, always worth doing.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Pam W,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.

I am pleased you were contacted with regard to your last stay and we have now turned things around and shown you how important you are to us, we take all feedback very seriously.

It is wonderful to hear you are happy to stay over night again, we will continue to strive towards the customer service and satisfaction to which all our guests deserve.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
Swinfen Hall Hotel
#2 of 7 in Lichfield
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!