“I really wanted to give this a 5 star review but a few things really let it down”

Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hoar Cross
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We arrived at Hoar Cross on Saturday lunch time, we were really excited that the hotel had our room ready a bit early so we could get checked in. At check in we asked to amend the rooms slightly in that two of the girls swapped with each other. At the time we did this we specifically asked whether it would be a problem at check out with the cards that you charge all purchases to being in the wrong rooms. The girl at reception was adamant she would swap it over and that it would be fine on check out. When we got to check out it was an absolute mess, loads of incorrect charges and loads of mistakes, it took one of us half an hour to sort out the bill which left a very sour taste in all of our mouths.

The spa itself is lovely, really extensive and brilliant therapists and treatments, I really feel that the hotel side lets it down, the grounds are beautiful but the rooms are not what you'd expect of a hotel of this standard, everything is a bit dated and needs a complete refurb. Dinner was a joke, the waiting staff didn't have a clue what they were doing, they tried to palm off a chicken ceasar as a completely different chicken dish. They brought the wrong meals for two of us and the service was shabby at best, the waiting staff didn't have a clue and were really rude.
Breakfast and lunch were downstairs in the spa the next day and were much better. All in all, go for a spa day and don't stay - you'll have a much better time

4 Thank mirembeLondon
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear MirembeLondon,

I am pleased your room was ready before the check in time, but sorry to hear of the problem with the final bill, we are working closely with our software company to try and get individual accounts for all of our guests in when sharing a room.

We now have a new food and beverage manager and lots of in house training is taking place, I do hope if you return you will notice a huge improvement, and feel sure you will enjoy every aspect of your dinning experience.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked a spa day to treat my sister and mum. The spa is in a lovely setting and the staff were very welcoming.

A minor niggle with our booking in terms of requesting female only therapists and my mum ended up with a male - although she said she wasn't as relaxed as she might have been it was a good massage. I'd make sure you are really clear about this on booking if it might be an issue for you.

The spa lunch was quite tasty, but nothing overly special. Service was a little stuffy & uptight.

I enjoyed my treatment, and there was lots of variety in terms of relaxation areas, water treatments, sauna, steam rooms all the stuff you would expect. In general, the facilities are good, we even had a cycle round outside which was nice. To some extent it may take away from the relaxation having to move around the spa so much to different areas I guess so if you prefer a more intimate setting I'd recommed somewhere like Fairlawns where its smaller but offers much of the same stuff (after all, how many different temps of water jet do you need?).

A major gripe with me was no free tea or coffee - although this seems a bit trivial, I think £2.95 for a cup of tea is pretty awful after you've paid high prices for a spa day. Once again, places like Fairlawns have unlimited free tea, coffee and cordial included in their days. A lot of people have mentioned this in their reviews but I can't see them changing the system, despite how much customer satisfaction it would add to the experience.

Overall, it was a nice day and a bit of an adventure, but we all left thinking that it wasn't really worth not going to your local spa as it wasn't that much more special and in fact it has a less personal feel. I was expecting lots of luxury for the price but was left feeling a little underwhelmed.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear Lemonysnickerty,

I am sorry to hear you felt underwhelmed with your spa visit. We do have so much more to offer than the one you recommend and of course we are twice the size, with two swimming pools and a different exercise class every hour of the day, we are also updating our gym soon to a brand new state of the art gymnasium, I hope you tried our wonderful new complimentary water beds in the snooze room, I have received so much positive feedback about them.

As we are such a big resort we always hope the friendly and helpful nature of our staff will still make you feel that same sensation as a smaller more intimate setting.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We have just returned from a stay at the Spa we have been going for the last ten years, we were so disappointed in the food which was awful, recycled vegetables and even had too pay extra to get veg with or evening meal!!! The rooms look shabby and the carpet on the ground floor was worn and dirty.
Positive points staff and Spa wonderful, but luxury its not, as a Hotel I would rate it 3 Star several fellow guests said they would not be returning what a shame it used to be such a wonderful experience, with so many Spa's out there you have to up your game Hoar Cross!!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the new area
2 Thank 4470rose
Dear 4470 Rose,
Thank you for your review.

We are aware of the worn carpet and we will be address this very soon, the first major part of the refurbishment will be main reception that gets underway in September and the carpet soon after that.

We also have taken on a new head Chef who has big plans to change every aspect of the dinning experience, I do hope we can tempt you back after the refurbishment is complete?

Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

I booked a surprise 1 night stay for myself and my partners anniversary the last weekend of may, reading the hotels own description online you would think this would be a 'luxury' break, far from it. Upon arrival everything seemed fine, checked in fairly easy although the reception was crowded with people. On arriving to our room i realised that we were in a classic room, not the luxury room that i had paid extra for, when querying this at reception i was told that there were not any luxury rooms left as the hotel was at capacity, GREAT!! I then waited around half an hour for the manager who then upgraded us to a suite, this i am very grateful for.

The room although very spacious was in serious need of refurbishment, scratches all over the walls and the bathroom was something you would find in the 70's!! The queen size bed was 2 single mattresses pushed together with left a ridge in the middle, not ideal.

The spa facilities are great, a little crowded but what do you expect if the hotel is at capacity. A little hard to find your way around but you get used to it after a day. The evening meal was possible the worst part of our stay, expecting a fine dining experience this was anything but. Our starter came with toasted brioche which you would expect to be warm having been toasted, it was stone cold. I queried this with the waitress who advised me it should be cold, i asked her to double check with the chef who then advised her to apologise to us at it should of course be warm. The toast had clearly been pre-prepared to help with the demand on the kitchen out on it by filling the hotel to capacity. Again the fillet steak i received for my main course had been pre-cooked as the outside if it was pretty hard and dry. Same old story with my white chocolate dessert, it had been sat waiting on the side that long developed a skin and started changing colour from a lovely 'white' to a custardy yellow. We did receive a glass of champagne each as an apology but i would have much rather had a fine dining experience. Breakfast the next day was the best meal of the stay, pretty much anything you could want was available. The sunday lunch was dire, over cooked beef and the veg was clearly from a freezer bag!!

It was clear that the hotel was too full to provide it's guests with the level of luxury that was expected, i maybe wrong but this could be due it to now being advertised on discount break websites. I have to admit i did book this break though secret escapes where i paid a lower rate to that on the hotels website, if i had paid full price i would be overwhelmingly disappointed. The hotel's owners need to take step back, only have the number of customers in the hotel that the kitchen can handle. If the rooms were refurbished and the kitchen could provide a fine dining experience (if the hotel wasnt too full) i would happily return.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Ben H
Dear Ben H,

Thank you for writing us a review, our refurbishment has already started and we are very excited with the new things coming our way. Most of our beds are zip and link beds which means they can be used as doubles or twins which is very important to us as majority of our guests are ladies, so we do have the need for single beds almost every day, these are commonly used in most spa hotels. They do zip together to make a double and there is a cover over the zip for comfort.
I do apologise for any disappointment with regard to your evening meal and I am pleased to inform you we have a new head Chef with a wonderful reputation that has just joined our team, and plans to change almost every aspect of the dinning experience. However I assure you no steaks are ever pre cooked they are not started until the order goes through to the kitchen.
I am pleased you would be happy to return.

Customer Service Manager

Travellers are raving about these Hoar Cross hotels

Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

After booking an overnight stay (15th - 16th July) as a surprise for my boyfriends birthday, This was our first time visiting Hoar Cross and i can honestly say we will be returning!

The Reception staff were lovely and greeted us upon arrival, they explained everything we needed to no about our stay and were always happy to help with whatever questions we had to ask, we asked for a tour of the building and within a few minutes someone was down and ready to give us a tour. Everything was explained great and we even found out a few facts about the resort.
Our room was better than expected with a Jacuzzi bath and a lovely king size bed, not forgetting the free champagne. Our room also overlooked the gardens at the front of the building.

As we are fussy eaters, we were a bit worried about the meals, the 3 course la carte dinner, breakfast and lunch were lovely and filling, there was also so much choice which we liked.

Our expectations for the spa had been well met, it was so relaxing and peaceful, we didnt want to leave. it was also very clean and the water was at the right temperature.

We have only been back one day and are already looking into coming again over night very soon! Hoar Cross Hall is AMAZING!!!! :)

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hoar Cross Hall S, Guest Relations Manager at Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear RhianneH,

Well what can I say this is a lovely review, I can really tell you have had a great stay with us here at hoar cross hall.

We also have rooms with private hot tubs and sauna’s so hopefully something for everyone.

I am delighted you wish to return, we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Dudley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

The stayed here for one night on a package which included overnight accommodation, an evening meal and two days access to the spa facilities. The hotel was lovely with lots of communal areas. Despite the fact that the spa was quite busy, when using the spa facilities it never seemed that there were too many people there. The spa is very well equipped and the thermal spa is excellent and seems to have been recently updated. The bedrooms were lovely, although the bathroom could do with some modernisation. We had lunch and an evening meal in the hotel, both of which were excellent. The food and drinks both seemed reasonably priced. When we arrived the reception staff told us where to access the changing rooms, but as this was our first time visiting we would have benefited from a map or a more detailed explanation! We had a great deal on our break, however at normal prices the stay does work out a bit expensive.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Kathryn D,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

As you used some of the spa facilities I hope you found the new complimentary heated water beds, I have had great feedback about them, especially using them after a treatment to just stay chilled out for that little bit longer.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We returned home yesterday evening after our 4th annual visit. We love Hoarcross Hall, yes it has had its problems over the years (but that has never detracted from a wonderful relaxing & peaceful stay) I am pleased to report that this year there are wonderful new beds & decor in the wet lounge area and many public areas are fresh & newly painted.

The food as always was excellent. The 3 course al a carte evening meal is wonderful quality & value (it costs a mere £30.00 for non residents) & having to eat gluten free is never an issue........ all items on the menu are marked either gluten free, vegetarian, nut or dairy free.....it is so nice not to be considered a nuisance when you go out to eat...and if there is nothing suitable on the menu, they would happily cook you something else. The evening dinner was so good we are hoping to talk the boss into having the Christmas do at Hoarcross this year & we are hoping to fit in another weekend in October !!

This visit we chose to have our first day lunch in the champagne bar (The bar attendant was delightful & the food delicious) ....as sometimes you can just eat too much if you pay the extra for the restaurant lunch on the first day. We do miss the poached salmon on the Oasis restaurant buffet at lunchtime though.....it was always a winner! The new management seem to be fine tuning & refining everything...cutting out duplications, many treatments for residents are now in the day spa and the old residential treatment reception area is now a nail bar. Residents now check in & wait for treatments at day spa reception....and it works really well.

As always all the staff in all areas were helpful, polite & friendly. Our only minor gripe was that the poor reception staff had a nightmare trying to check us & other residents out, the system wasn't working too well and kept crashing and declining cards. in all we wasted about 35 mins trying to pay. It was a bit stressful as we had treatments booked that we needed to get to! It would be much easier if each resident guest could be given their own personal account even if sharing a room. That way it wouldn't confuse the system or humans when people are trying to split bills & pay part cash, part card & part gift voucher etc.

All in all a fantastic weekend see you again soon !

Room Tip: Princess Alice 110 has a massive Jacuzzi bath in the main bathroom & also a seperate newly refu...
1 Thank JudeG2005
Dear JudeG 2005,

Thank you for your review, it’s great to see you want to come back as soon as you have left us.
So sorry about the wait at check out, we are in talks with our software company and do realise our guests need reference numbers each not per room, we are working on a solution to this and hope it will be on offer soon.

We are so pleased to hear you like the food so much, we have had a new head Chef Start with us, so new exciting things are coming from him very soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoar Cross
Three Horseshoes Country Inn & Spa
Weston Hall
Weston Hall
#1 of 11 in Stafford

Been to Hoar Cross Hall Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!