“Brilliant Stay - ignore the bad reviews!!!”
Review of Hotel Rudyard

Hotel Rudyard
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Leek
Reviewed 9 September 2010

After reading some of the reviews on here I must admit I was a little worid, but it was the best weekend away that I've had in along time!
The hotel is set in the beautiful quaint village of Rudyard very close to the lakeside. Me and my partner stopped at the hotel for 2nights to get away from busy city life. On arrival the staff were all very welcoming and within no time at all we were checked in and relaxing with a drink i the bar area. The room was lovely good views of the garden area, comfy bed, tea and coffee making facilities and well equipt bathroom, everything we needed for a comfortable stay. We ate in the restaurant the first night and had our main meal from the carvery. I had beef and it was absolutely beautiful along with homade yorkshire puddings and a selection of nine vegetables! My patner had a selection of the three meats and enjoyed his meal equally. The second night we had our meal in the bar area and chose off the extensive bar menu. Very well priced and huge portions! During the daytimes we did various walks around the village and lake.
All in all we had a fantastic stay and we will definitely book to stay here again!
Many thanks to all the staff at the Rudyard Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 September 2010

Firstly i must say about all of the negative comments on here regarding the Hotel Rudyard.....what a load of RUBBISH!!!
My partner and i stay several times a year and have being doing for 14 years in total and have never had a bad experience.
The carvery is superb and we have never encounted tough meat or dry veg.
As for sloppy cauliflour cheese do ask yourself what cauliflour cheese is!!!!
The staff are always warming and friendly and always make us feel welcome and the rooms are clean and comfortable.
It is a shame that people only put bad cmments on here,dont be put off as this place is wonderful and i hope others will join me with positive comments which do the hotel justice.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2010

A friend of mine rang me today about these reviews, and i have to say "what a load of rubbish". We had our wedding at the hotel in June of this year, what a fantastic day, the staff are friendly and helpful in everyway. As for the rooms all our guest's commented on what a plesent stay they had with not a single comment about anything.

Our wedding was everything we had wished for, the room looked fantastic the food was excellent and the staff looked after ourselves and our guests from start to finish. I would recommend anyone looking for a wedding venue to go along and see for yourselfs.

We still visit the hotel from time to time as our parents live local and visit the carvery for sunday lunch all the time, its one of the best in the area.

Thanks again ron and staff for making our day special.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Visited the lake, which is a great day out, then decided to have Sunday lunch out and as this hotel is located nearby, thought ideal (8 of us in total). I did not stay in this hotel, had a meal only, which was enough to know not to ever stay here! Please stay well clear. Carvery: sauces dried up; packet mint sauce; overcooked veg and 'sloppy' cauliflower; fatty and tough meat and tastless yorkshire puddings. Also very dirty; but should have known in advance this place was shoddy when I asked for the table to be wiped over please and was answered with 'I'll try'. Pointless complaining as disinterested and inexperienced staff; but if I had not paid in advance I would certainly not have paid (total rip-off) - if ever a place needed an Hotel Inspector!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank CarolineStokeonTrent
Reviewed 9 August 2010

LOVELY SETTING - POOR SERVICE - TIRED LOOKING HOTEL
**DO NOT ACCEPT ROOM NUMBER 6 - OVERSPILL ROOM**
I stayed at the hotel as my friend was getting married there. She, naturally was in one of the bridal suites (Room 8) - nothing fancy, but a lovely view from the window.

The Hotel...
Hotel Rudyard is located within a beautiful setting and is peaceful - it is easy to see why people would want to get married in that location. However, the hotel itself is in need of some investment, love and serious attention. Upon first entering the hotel I was met by an overwhelming smell of cleaning products - clearly bleach based. The furniture and set up is very tired....

The Staff...
There was no presence of staff around and I had to knock on the kitchen door to get someone to come and take a food order and made enquiries about checking in - it was unclear who was in charge. The staff, to say they was a wedding being held, were not, in my opinion, appropriately dressed, or groomed in a manner suitable for such an occasion. They were wearing jeans (black) and some of the young ladies could have benefitted from a comb through their hair.

The Room...
I had been assigned Room 14 for the night of the wedding, however on checking in I was given a different room number and asked to pay on the spot. I didn't have my purse on me, so agreed to pay later. I noted in the register that we had been moved from 14 to 6 as a result of the occupants in 14 staying another night.

The room, upon entering, was shocking...a featureless, overpriced, overspill room! I was appauled at what I had paid for.... The room smelled musty, the floor was dirty, the valence on the bed was ill-fitting and was covered in dried mud at the foot of the bed...we also noted that there was dried chewing-gum stuck to it to. The window for the room was opaque and tiny - had there been a fire in the hall way, there would have been no way we'd have been able to get out. There was a mass of cables outside the window which could be seen when the window was open (it was a warm day) and we could see that they were being kept together by cable ties. Having had a peep through the small window opening, we could see that people had been having cheeky cigarettes out of the window and there was a discarded mug on the roof below.

The room was barely big enough for a bed and included a sink because the shower room was just that - a toilet and shower. The latch on the door (a yale lock) would not retract into the housing - so we were stuck in out room desperately pulling on the handle until eventually it slipped out of the lock..... Does this room qualify for health and safety?
I had to ask for another toilet roll as we were only provided with half of one...I was directed towards the unlocked store room and told to help myself !!!! This room also contained chemicals for cleaning - not ideal if there were children about.

The Outcome...
I was fully prepared to complain about the room - however there were no staff about to complain to the next day. I'd have thought that the 'reception' area would have been manned up until the check-out time, but clearly not. Again, there seemed to be acitvity in the kitchen, but a series of hard knocks on the door did little to alert thr occupanys of my presence.
We left angry and disappointed that we have paid a hefty price (£80) for a sub-standard room.

If you are thinking of staying at this hotel, please check your room and be satisfied with it before you pay anything. **Pictures to Follow**

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Vicwar
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Place smelt of fried food, absolutely repellant in some parts of the hotel. Dirty in some places. Our rooms were double booked, so offered other rooms. These proved to be dirty and not cleaned, so were rejected. ( I am not a complainer, but they had unwashed coffee cups, obviously dirty sheets etc etc). Eventually given bridal suite, room 8 I think. This was a pleasant room, although a bit tacky. The grounds are lovely, obviously better gardeners than cleaners! Saw a funny thing at the bar, chap asked for 2 pints of Carlsberg, which the barman poured. He was on the second one and the flow started to slow. I was watching from the side. He kept holding the glass under the Carlsberg nozzle, despite the fact that there was nothing coming out (clearly the barrel had run out). The customer then glanced away and the barman whipped it under the Kronenbourg tap and finished the pour!!! He served the two glasses with a flourish. Then the barman did not have enough change, so he accepted a short amount for the beers. All very Fawlty Towers. Breakfast menu is a hoot, approx 5 variations of eggs, beans, sausages, bacon and toast. Food is ok, breakfast staff friendly. If you get the wrong room at this hotel you will be very disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank Vontrapp2
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We arrived at what is a beautiful hotel in beautiful countryside but unfortunately it was downhill all the way from there. We had a 15 minute wait to check in as all the staff were busy serving in the bar. We were eventually let into our room which was adequate, albeit in need of a good clean. The real fun came the next morning when we went to use the jacuzzi bath. We had already been informed that the jacuzzi element of the bath did not work but we didn't mind about that. My husband ran the bath and began enjoying a relaxing soak when he noticed brown/black slime and flakes coming our of the jacuzzi nozzles. It really was as horrible as it sounds and needless to say I went without a bath that day! We then went downstairs for breakfast which was reminiscent of the worst imaginable school food. There were about 5 couples in the dining room and when the staff were not present they were turning to each other to comment how bad the food was. This in turn led to horror stories from guests staying in other rooms.
The worst part of our stay however was the customer service, or lack of, that we received after our visit. On returning home we wrote to the manager to complain. After being ignored we wrote 4 more times and have never heard a word.
I would not recommend a stay here to anybody and the manager's lack of response speaks volumes about how much they care about their guests.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Faulk_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leek
Best Western Buxton Lee Wood Hotel
The Alexandra Court Hotel
The Alexandra Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Congleton
The Izaak Walton Hotel

Been to Hotel Rudyard? Share your experiences!