“Great service in a pretty location”

and 1 more site!
The Silken Strand Hotel
Ranked #12 of 17 Leek B&B and Inns
Manchester
“Great service in a pretty location”
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Lovely building and garden, best part was the tapas restaurant in the cellar, the food was delicious. Rooms were clean and comfy. The service was spot on and the owner was very hands on and personable.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Unfortunately the hotel, although well intended, didn't quite hit the mark. The place itself was warm, quirky and well put together, and the staff (when you could find them) were sweet and polite. The rooms were well proportioned, and nicely decorated. Unfortunately we found the emphasis to be too much on boutique, and not enough on hotel. It took us a while to even work out it WAS a hotel as there is only a banner outside, no permanent sign, with "the silken strand" in relatively small type.
From an almost £100 a night hotel I would expect the following as a minimum: toiletries to be provided, all the lights to work, all the taps to work, the hot/cold labels on the bath taps not to be missing, the plug sockets to work, the hot water to be hot, and the white wine to be cold. I wouldn't expect the window to the room situated above the smoking area to be single glazed so the smoke wafts in throughout the night.
An unfortunate combination of events meant our first night was severely disrupted by a gaggle of drunk wedding guests, and we had to breakfast at the local sainsbury's the next day as no staff could be found in the morning. Fortunately the hotel owner did all he could to make amends and relocated us on the second night - but even in this room there was a gap under the door large enough to get my hand through, and the cord on the kettle was too short to plug in so we had to boil it on the floor. Using a double socket that only one half of worked. And the light switch to the room was damaged.
It has the potential to be a great place, and our experience on the first night was clearly unusual. The owners obviously care a great deal, but it could do with a look at the detail of what makes a hotel in this price bracket good value. More staff would be a good start: there was never anyone to be found when you needed them, and a blitz of the rooms to fix everything that is not working. And please provide shampoo! At this price, I don't want to wash my hair with handwash!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank unluckyjack
Reviewed 19 April 2013

I recently booked an evening's dining for my 30th birthday and was not disappointed. They were so accomodating about all my requests and when I arrived, everything was exactly how I had asked for it to be. On top of that I was gobsmacked by how reasonable the cost was for somewhere so plush. My friends were so impressed and we all had a great time thanks to all of the staff. I would like to thank Terry, the director, for making it so easy and stress free to organise and Lauren, who waited on our table and was also kind enough to take so many pictures for us! It's so refreshing to see somewhere getting it so right. You guys are doing a great job. I'll definitely be making a return visit.

• Stayed April 2013
bham
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We were met with a very warm welcome by owner Terry and staff as we arrived into the boutique style hotel nestled away in the village of Leek. The decor is very stylish and chic in its appeal. The bedrooms are decorated beautifully with exposed brick walls as a feature plus a stunning roll top bath n the designer bathroom. The hotel hosts a secret cinema experience and although we didnt visit it there was a very happy family leaving the film after an enjoyable and personal experience.
The real gem of the hotel for me and my chap, a publican also, was the CELLAR restaurant in yes the cellar of the hotel. Wow it was amazing, the decor and arrangement were beautiful, perfect for an different intimate party and the Tapas food was extraordinary. My chap and I ordered 10 dishes of the finest spanish cuisine. The wine list is also selected carefully and the Sauvignon did not disappoint. In conclusion a very different hotel experience to what we would normally experience but a fabulous one at that. Thank you Terry and staff for making our stay a very pleasant. Check out Housey house shop just around the corner, a super little glittering aladdins cave..worth a visit. M and P

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Stafford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2013

Whilst I surfed the wowcher page, I came across a deal for a secret cinema deal with this hotel. It was ideal because, firstly it was cheap and my best friend lives in Leek so I thought, it would be great night out for us.

When we arrived, we were a little confused whether we were suppose to go into the bar or through into the hotel, we eventually decided to go into the bar where we were greeted by a lovely lady who asked us what cocktails we wanted, even offering some that weren't on the menu. I did want to ask if they had any virgin cocktails but re-framed, perhaps these should be advertised (or a little sentence at the bottom, can be made without alcohol).

I had the cosmopolitan and my friend had one made, which the lady even googled to make sure she could do it. I found this good customer service. Going the extra mile. I felt however my friend got twice as much cocktail as me and I finished mine very quickly. We were told to sit and we'd be called but as half 8 came, people started disappearing and we got a bit uncomfortable, wondering if we'd be forgotten (lol). The manager popped his head in and told us the movie was ready, we all followed him upstairs to find a beautiful comfortable room in which we would be viewing the movie (Magic Mike).

I enjoyed having a table and the chairs were REALLY comfortable. No glare on the TV and the sound was really good. We were served a double portion of nachos and a small portion of popcorn. I felt these came a little late in, perhaps could of come around 5 minutes earlier as we got very hungry. The food however was worth the weight, I prefer more popcorn for sharing but the nachos were wonderful, to make it perfect, how about adding some sour cream on the side? This however can be an optional extra?

I would of preferred also a drinks menu (with prices) to order drinks maybe half way through the film but we were offered some at the beginning.

The whole experience was wonderful. I would however have a staff member there waiting at the end of the movie, as it felt like we were just sneaking out, the staff member was at the bottom of the stairs.

All staff members, including the manager were excellent in customer service, really helpful and advised other nights before the movie started.

Breaking down my review.
I'd create a mother and baby/toddler friendly evening, I don't mean movies for children, but if my friend had been able to bring her 7 month old, she would of been able to stay the entire experience.
Bigger popcorn portion, drinks menus with prices.
Add ons for the nachos.
More communication with visitors, letting us know we hadn't been forgotten before asking us to come up to the room.
Will be suggesting it to other people though!

Oh, bigger sign outside, my partner couldn't find the hotel when he came to collect me ;)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Chamonix, France
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed here for a wedding at The Ashes Venue close-by. When we turned up at midday our rooms were not ready so had to get ready in the bar area. We had not realised an early check-in is before 2pm... which we needed to book in advance.

We have a little baby who needed to sleep at 8pm ish, but there was a birthday party in the main bar area unti late, with kids running all over the place down the corridors... so it was noisy and difficult to get baby to sleep.

Room (7) was spacious and nice clean large shower room. But no luxuries like shampoo. The tea and coffee was very basic and kettle needed to be on floor in order to be plugged in because cable didn't reach the table!! Hotel definitely lacked something "extra" for the price tag of £95 per night.

Staff excellent and made up for it. But wasn't good value for money, we should have searched for a BandB, but just went with the wedding recommended list.

Room Tip: Ask for early check-in if arriving before 2pm
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
The_Silken_Strand, Owner at The Silken Strand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
We are very sorry to hear that you had issues with your stay, but 2pm check in is standard at most hotels unless a request is made, our check out time is 11.am, this gives our staff only 3 hours to get all the rooms turned around for new guests, it was unfortunate that your room was the last one on the list, but the manager did actually divert the cleaning staff directly to your room as soon as you booked in so you were in your room way before 2pm. Soap, shampoo and body wash is available in all rooms, and I am surprised to hear that you say there was none. The manager was aware of children being noisy and did stop their antics, but part of a hotel's business is to hold parties and events, and indeed, we even host weddings, and most of the time noise is not an issue, but some noise at 8pm is mostly inevitable in a venue like ours, and we make sure party guests are moved into the cellar bar before 11pm so the bedrooms are not disturbed. I do not understand the 3 marks for cleanliness as this is one area that we check on personally and staff are reprimanded if they fall down on their duties. The cables on the kettles are an issue that we are trying to resolve, but regulations and old buildings do not always go together well. Keeping a 350 year old historic building in good repair is not cheap, and the pleasure most people derive from staying in such a well looked after building with good bedrooms, attentive staff, free movies every night of the week, is seen as that little bit extra you say is missing.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I went with three other friends for the secret cinema experience.

On arrival we were promptly met by the manager and bar staff. They were really friendly and attentive. The bar area was decorated in a boutique style which really suited the style of the building.

We ordered our cocktails and watched while the barmaid made them. The manager chatted with us while we waited. We say for a short time and enjoyed the intimate lounge area around the bar before being shown upstairs.

We went to the cinema area and the film began. The four of us were then served with nachos and popcorn. They were of a really good quality and freshly made. Really delicious.

After the film we went back to the bar area for coffees. Again the staff were really pleasant and reasonably prompt given the number of customers who were in the bar area at this time.

Overall, a great experience and excellent night out for the girls and me. However, the manager had mentioned other up and coming films which I think would be good for a date night with the husband!

I have read some reviews that mention dust and cleanliness issues. This was not the case during our visit. The whole venue was neat, tidy and dust free. Was great value for money and I will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Haberdashery
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leek
Premier Inn Leek Town Centre Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hartington
Bagshaw Hall
Bagshaw Hall
#3 of 6 in Bakewell

Been to The Silken Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!