“Amazing food!”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Ilchester, United Kingdom
“Amazing food!”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Our wedding anniversary. We decided to book here as we had read some excellent reviews, managed to get a table booked for 9:15pm on a Saturday and so so glad we booked as they had to turn people away at the door! So book well in advance!!

We had a little wait when we arrived as another couple had arrived before us and some people were settling their bills etc... We ordered some drinks and were shown in to the lounge where we were given menus to look over, was so difficult to choose as everything sounded so yummy! But very chilled out setting, relaxing!

We went for a shared starter of Nacho Mountain... be aware it is a mountain! Looked amazing and tasted amazing, only problem was that we wanted to eat it all, but had to leave some room for mains! ;)

Mains: Alambre Chilango & Coconut Chilli Chicken with Lemon Cashew nut Rice... These were fantastic, my husband's Alambre Chilango was perfect, absolutely spot on with spices! My Coconut Chilli Chicken was delicious, never had anything like it and unfortunately I was not able to eat very much (even though I wanted to) as we had eaten a few snack a few hours before and then the Nacho Mountain I just couldn't, the Lemon and Cashew nut rice was totally amazing, I wish I had asked to take the left overs with me!!

Dessert: Dime Bar Cheesecake... I squeezed it in well half of it, had to! And it was so very worth it, the base was quite salty but with the sweet creamy top it was perfect and I loved it!

I do have one negative comment though... Where we were seated was not very nice, a very small table for two next to the wall and in the corridor where everyone walks in and out - very breezy! And was a little annoying to see the next couple (Who actually arrived before us) shown to a large table for 4 which was empty when we were shown in! We did feel we were treated not as well as others...

Berkhamsted
“Honest and fresh Mexican”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great value meal. Wine was very reasonably priced and the ingredients were fresh. Portions were rather too large for us, but I doubt that would be a problem for most

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Beverley B
“Great food and service”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Great restaurant with good food and service. Need to go when it's busy as that's when you get the best atmosphere

• Visited November 2013
Leek, United Kingdom
“Early bird catches the steak”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We went last night for the early bird menu 6pm to 7pm,two course's for £13 or thee for £16. All adults had garlic mushrooms for starters. The lad had garlic bread. Four adult steaks cooked to perfection with wraps for the grandson. Super sweets you must try the homemade cheesecake or fudge cake. We had a great meal not rushed, good service and quality food.

1 Thank David S
“Every cloud..............!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A beautiful sunny evening encouraged us to go and eat out, normally we head into Leek but this night we headed for Cheddleton, The Red Lion was fully booked, and the newly refurbished Black Lion only served until 4pm, so we decided to give Castros a try for the first time.Situated besides the canal we managed to get a table outside, the restaurant inside was packed which is always a good sign.
We were very quickly given our menus and our drinks followed shortly after.
The starters looked great but we went straight to the main.2 Sirloins with all the trimmings.The food was EXCEPTIONAL!Steaks perfectly cooked and so very tender, fantastically tasting veg plus onion rings and mushrooms and a peppercorn sauce..........compliments to the Chef.Had to sample desserts, great ice cream, super syrup sponge with custard and ice cream.
Castros Restaurants offers quality food, reasonable priced in a great setting and I have to mention the staff who were very friendly and very efficient.We will definitely return very soon...........So Every cloud does have a silver lining.

1 Thank GaryStorer1962