“Amazing Wedding Experience!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Burton on Trent
“Amazing Wedding Experience!”
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A big thank you to Nigel, Jenny, Tom (the MD) and all the staff for making our daughter Philippa's wedding day so utterly brilliant.

Everyone was so attentive, supportive and courteous, and the food was delicious.

Duncan & Rosemary Ferguson

1 Thank Duncan F
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a "fantastic" review of our hotel on tripadvisor following your daughter's recent wedding reception held here.

I am glad that her special day (and yours) was a great success and I will certainly forward your kind compliments to Nigel our Food & Beverage Manager, Jenny our Wedding Coordinator and all the team. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton - Upon - Trent Newton Park Hotel to experience our outstanding levels of hospitality.

Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Hungarian first
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Lovely location overlooking the river, beautiful grounds and the downstairs area of the hotel was lovely. We had a lovely meal at the restaurant and all the staff were very pleasant. My only negative was the rooms - they basically need a good freshen up, the decor is bland and uninviting although the cleanliness of the room was perfect you just can't get around the fact that it needs updating and as for the bathroom not my idea of a hotel bathroom more B & B! and as our last stay at a Mercure was Sheffield St Paul there is just no comparison. But aside from my negatives you couldn't fault their service just get the decorators in!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I have noted your constructive comments in relation to the bathroom design and decor of the bedroom and this I will share with our property department.

I was glad to note that all other aspects of your stay including the cleanliness, hotel fabric ,catering and hospitality extended by my team was of a high quality.

Customer feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

i stayed here with before a day trip to Alton Towers. It is a very grand looking with a simple but elegant reception. The twin room we stayed in (with a 3rd bed) was more than suitable for three. It was used as the communal room for the 9 people that came up, that was the size of the room. The room was also very clean. They place a single "popup" bed in the room but I couldn't see a difference between that bed and the others, it was also very comfortable even for someone who sleep on a double. The only issues that I have with the room was that the Bathroom was dated and once the shower was on... it was on... the only way to turn it off was to get a maintenance guy in. The breakfast was OK the bacon was above standard however they need better Hash bowns and beans and larger sausages. (better hash browns will do though). The room was £44+£10 (additional bed) which i think was very good value for the size and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I have passed your comments on to the team as such positive feedback will inspire them to continue to provide excellent service in the future.
I hope that it will not be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Burton upon Trent.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Laura Roe to Lee Cooke, the day was perfect right down to the smallest of details. Everything was so well organised the ceremony, the wedding breakfast and as the speaches were in progress the children were all entertained excellently by James who was fantastic with them. The evening reception and buffet were equally as well organised and the food both in the afternoon and the evening was excellent. The in house disco was great with music for all. I would recommend The Newton Park Hotel to any one looking for a wedding venue. Fantastic!!!!!

1 Thank sally r
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is very much appreciated. I have passed your comments on to the team as such positive feedback will inspire them to continue to provide great service. I have nominated James for a Star Award in recognition of his mention.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Burton upon Trent Newton Park Hotel in the near future.

Worksop
Reviewed 11 July 2012 via mobile

An oldie world looking hotel full of beams and wooden staircases etc. The room I was in had a large double bed a modern tv and free wifi. The big negative in this hotel for me was the bathroom. The bath was made for someone no bigger than 3ft and with a shower head that was hand held rather than from the wall and I could have peed faster than the water from it Terrible. I was staying here for a business conference and to be fair to the hotel the catering was pretty good during the conference and the staff were polite and friendly. Would I stay here again? Probably not.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Tim_Ramsden
, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 12 July 2012
Dear Tim_Ramsden,

I have noted your constructive comments in relation to the bathroom design and shower pressure and this I will share with our property department.

I was glad to note that all other aspects of your stay including the bedroom, hotel fabric ,catering and hospitality extended by my team was of a high quality.

Customer feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park Hotel which will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Buckinghamshire, UK.
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Booked as a surprise break visiting the Potteries and local steam train experience day. This mercure hotel exceeded expectations.Spacious room, excellent food, home style cooking, lovely grounds! We wished we had stayed more than one night as good value for money.
A nice walk to local village

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank swaddy_7
, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear Swaddy_7,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a very nice review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay here.
I am glad to note that we "exceeded your expectations" and that you awarded our hotel 5 stars.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park Hotel when you are next visiting the area.

Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here Fathers Day for the weekend when we attended a wedding, we were a big party and my booking was 3 rooms.

Overall hotel and grounds - The hotel and grounds were lovely and the kids loved running around outside and the wedding reception, food and the attentiveness of the toastmaster towards us and the 2 children was lovely.

Staff - All the staff were very friendly and on mentioning we didn’t have a travel cot, within the blink of an eye, one appeared in our room, the only downside was that we had a pushchair and associated child stuff and we weren’t offered the use of a lift and my sister was located on the 2nd floor, we only realised there was a lift on the Sunday so for the 2 days we had to carry the pushchair up and down the stairs.

Communal hallways and bedroom - Moving onto the general décor, downstairs was lovely with nice little snug areas to gather, some of the hallways leading to the bedrooms although clean were very tired looking and could do with a little modernisation, the bedrooms were of ample size even with a travel cot and provided us plenty of room.

My sisters room where she had her 2 children sleeping was located above the dancefloor so on the Friday evening this was very noisy when trying to sleep for the kids and her, however the Saturday night would have been the same but we were guests at the reception.

Might be worth the hotel considering this when assigning people into rooms and ask if they are attending any function and perhaps not locate them in a room if they are not attending.

The bathroom was very dark and the showers were not very good, intermittent water pressure seemed to be an issue.

Drinks – the drinks as with most hotels were very expensive and did prevent us from consuming our local quota of drinks during the evening reception. I lived in London so I am used to high prices but I always used to find that as you travelled north up the country that a round of drinks was a little cheaper although this was not the case at this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel if they have any function/disco's planned during your stay, if so, ask if you can...