“Beautiful location - needs investment” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Leicester
“Beautiful location - needs investment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2012

The hotel is set overlooking the river in beautiful grounds. The staff are friendly and very helpful. However, the rooms are awful. They are outdated and very tatty and quite frankly dirty! The bathroom was very dirty, especially the sink and the bath. The carpet in the room was dirty and hadn't been vacuumed for a very long time! The walls were dirty and covered in marks. The room also smelled very fusty. When I checked in they put me into a ground floor room which meant that even though it was a hot night, I couldn't open the window. When I checked out I said that I would have been happier on the second floor and they seemed amazed at my comment. I thought that most hotels put single females into second floor rooms. My male colleagues were all on the upper floors! The breakfast was fine and the checkout was fast and friendly. The building is absolutely beautiful but unloved. It needs a massive investment before I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Burton Upon Trent Hotel, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

With regards your allocation of a ground floor room, it is our standard to put female guests on the upper floors and, as a result of your comment, we have conducted training with all our front office team to stress the importance of this.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Mercure Burton Upon Trent Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hungarian first
Burton upon Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Newton Park was everything we could have hoped for in a wedding venue. The staff, from receptionists, to wedding co-ordinators, the toast master, to duty managers, Kitchen staff and Bar staff were great. The hotel was a great choice and from day one, communication and organisation made our wedding planning very easy. Room 121 is a fantastic room and breakfast is also great. The food on the day (3 course wedding breakfast and evening BBQ) offered great value and large portions. The wedding packages are affordable and very good value. Thank you very much.
Nathan and Esther Morland

1 Thank Nathan M
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a "fantastic" review of our hotel on tripadvisor following your recent wedding reception held here.

I am glad that yourspecial day was a great success and I will certainly forward your kind compliments to all the team. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton - Upon - Trent Newton Park Hotel to experience our outstanding levels of hospitality again in the near future.

Burton on Trent
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

A big thank you to Nigel, Jenny, Tom (the MD) and all the staff for making our daughter Philippa's wedding day so utterly brilliant.

Everyone was so attentive, supportive and courteous, and the food was delicious.

Duncan & Rosemary Ferguson

1 Thank Duncan F
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a "fantastic" review of our hotel on tripadvisor following your daughter's recent wedding reception held here.

I am glad that her special day (and yours) was a great success and I will certainly forward your kind compliments to Nigel our Food & Beverage Manager, Jenny our Wedding Coordinator and all the team. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton - Upon - Trent Newton Park Hotel to experience our outstanding levels of hospitality.

Kind regards

Lincolnshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

Lovely location overlooking the river, beautiful grounds and the downstairs area of the hotel was lovely. We had a lovely meal at the restaurant and all the staff were very pleasant. My only negative was the rooms - they basically need a good freshen up, the decor is bland and uninviting although the cleanliness of the room was perfect you just can't get around the fact that it needs updating and as for the bathroom not my idea of a hotel bathroom more B & B! and as our last stay at a Mercure was Sheffield St Paul there is just no comparison. But aside from my negatives you couldn't fault their service just get the decorators in!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 24 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.

I have noted your constructive comments in relation to the bathroom design and decor of the bedroom and this I will share with our property department.

I was glad to note that all other aspects of your stay including the cleanliness, hotel fabric ,catering and hospitality extended by my team was of a high quality.

Customer feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park Hotel.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

i stayed here with before a day trip to Alton Towers. It is a very grand looking with a simple but elegant reception. The twin room we stayed in (with a 3rd bed) was more than suitable for three. It was used as the communal room for the 9 people that came up, that was the size of the room. The room was also very clean. They place a single "popup" bed in the room but I couldn't see a difference between that bed and the others, it was also very comfortable even for someone who sleep on a double. The only issues that I have with the room was that the Bathroom was dated and once the shower was on... it was on... the only way to turn it off was to get a maintenance guy in. The breakfast was OK the bacon was above standard however they need better Hash bowns and beans and larger sausages. (better hash browns will do though). The room was £44+£10 (additional bed) which i think was very good value for the size and cleanliness.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 23 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I have passed your comments on to the team as such positive feedback will inspire them to continue to provide excellent service in the future.
I hope that it will not be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Burton upon Trent.

Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

Laura Roe to Lee Cooke, the day was perfect right down to the smallest of details. Everything was so well organised the ceremony, the wedding breakfast and as the speaches were in progress the children were all entertained excellently by James who was fantastic with them. The evening reception and buffet were equally as well organised and the food both in the afternoon and the evening was excellent. The in house disco was great with music for all. I would recommend The Newton Park Hotel to any one looking for a wedding venue. Fantastic!!!!!

1 Thank sally r
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is very much appreciated. I have passed your comments on to the team as such positive feedback will inspire them to continue to provide great service. I have nominated James for a Star Award in recognition of his mention.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Burton upon Trent Newton Park Hotel in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#7 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East...
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!