“Fantastic overnights stay at a unique hotel with great countryside views.”

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic overnights stay at a unique hotel with great countryside views.”
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We booked this room through www.laterooms.com and got an excellent bargain - we paid the same price as our friends in the nearby Travelodge. Staff were friendly and helpful and the room was as 4-star as the rest of the hotel. Only problem was a dodgy shower but we got it working in the end. Breakfast was £8.50 if booked the night before and highly recommended. The hotel is full of old art and of oakwork decor and has a wonderful old-world atmosphere without being tired and worn. As a result of our experience we're definitely planning a return visit.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a view and we weren't disappointed so it's worth being specific whe...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 16 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor. It was a pleasure to read that you found the team here friendly and helpful. I have shared your review with them as I know they take great encouragement from such reviews. I am sorry you had difficulty with your shower.

I hope it will not be long before you make a return visit.

Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hungarian first
Frome, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

An interesting hotel in lovely grounds but my room was disappointing,especially the bath room or more accurately the shower room ..now I don't swing many cats especially in bath rooms but I would struggle to swing a mouse...the room next door had its door open and looked much bigger and nicer than mine so perhaps I was just being cheap ..... The bar staff were good and the food in the restaurant was very good although one of the waitresses was abrupt to say the least...I was spoilt the next night in a hotel du vin so maybe I am being unkind but fantastic staff will make you forget any imperfections !

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of the Hotel following your stay here. I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of your room and, in particular, the bathroom. As a grade 2 listed building, the rooms in the original building differ in size in some cases. The rooms in the Trent Wing which was added at a later date are more uniform in size. I was pleased to read that you thought the staff were fantastic and the food was very good. I have passed your comments on to the team who will no doubt take inspiration from this as we continually strive to exceed our customers' expectations in service.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We fell in love with the simplistic, elegant charm of Newton Park on a cold winters morning and it was even more beautiful in the sunshine on July 27th. The grounds were amazing and the guests enjoyed relaxing in them and the children loved running round and dancing in the maze. All of our guests commented on how remarkable they were.

The service we received was exceptional and definitely in excess of a 4 star facility. All of the staff were a credit. Jenny was thorough in every aspect and was caring in how she handled every element of organising the day, Nigel was very efficient all day and Wow to Tom the toast master. He is just a pleasure to deal with and made you feel that your wedding was his only priority all day. Everyone was brilliant and incredibly friendly, Louise on reception was very helpful.

The food was exceptional and amazing portions, no one was left hungry throughout the day! Nothing was too much trouble and we will always hold the hotel with affection and regard it as 'our something special'.

Kelly and Gav Armstrong

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kelly A
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a "fantastic" review of our hotel on tripadvisor following your recent wedding reception held here.

I am glad that yourspecial day was a great success and I will certainly forward your kind compliments to all the team with special mentions to Nigel, Tom and Louise. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton - Upon - Trent Newton Park Hotel to experience our outstanding levels of hospitality again in the near future.

Leicester
Reviewed 2 August 2012

The hotel is set overlooking the river in beautiful grounds. The staff are friendly and very helpful. However, the rooms are awful. They are outdated and very tatty and quite frankly dirty! The bathroom was very dirty, especially the sink and the bath. The carpet in the room was dirty and hadn't been vacuumed for a very long time! The walls were dirty and covered in marks. The room also smelled very fusty. When I checked in they put me into a ground floor room which meant that even though it was a hot night, I couldn't open the window. When I checked out I said that I would have been happier on the second floor and they seemed amazed at my comment. I thought that most hotels put single females into second floor rooms. My male colleagues were all on the upper floors! The breakfast was fine and the checkout was fast and friendly. The building is absolutely beautiful but unloved. It needs a massive investment before I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Burton Upon Trent Hotel, I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

With regards your allocation of a ground floor room, it is our standard to put female guests on the upper floors and, as a result of your comment, we have conducted training with all our front office team to stress the importance of this.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back Mercure Burton Upon Trent Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Travellers are raving about these Newton Solney hotels

Burton upon Trent
Reviewed 31 July 2012

The Newton Park was everything we could have hoped for in a wedding venue. The staff, from receptionists, to wedding co-ordinators, the toast master, to duty managers, Kitchen staff and Bar staff were great. The hotel was a great choice and from day one, communication and organisation made our wedding planning very easy. Room 121 is a fantastic room and breakfast is also great. The food on the day (3 course wedding breakfast and evening BBQ) offered great value and large portions. The wedding packages are affordable and very good value. Thank you very much.
Nathan and Esther Morland

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Nathan M
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 1 August 2012

I am glad that yourspecial day was a great success and I will certainly forward your kind compliments to all the team. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

Burton on Trent
Reviewed 23 July 2012

A big thank you to Nigel, Jenny, Tom (the MD) and all the staff for making our daughter Philippa's wedding day so utterly brilliant.

Everyone was so attentive, supportive and courteous, and the food was delicious.

Duncan & Rosemary Ferguson

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Duncan F
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a "fantastic" review of our hotel on tripadvisor following your daughter's recent wedding reception held here.

I am glad that her special day (and yours) was a great success and I will certainly forward your kind compliments to Nigel our Food & Beverage Manager, Jenny our Wedding Coordinator and all the team. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton - Upon - Trent Newton Park Hotel to experience our outstanding levels of hospitality.

Kind regards

The Unicorn Inn
The Unicorn Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton Solney
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East...
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#9 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!