“A Lovely Weekend”

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Reviewed 3 September 2012

The hotel was very busy with a wedding, so we asked to be given a room away from the stairs as we thoughtit would be quieter. The hotel was very accommodating and nothing was too much trouble. A special mention for Louise on reception, she was so helpful, pleasant and proffessional.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor. I was pleased to read that the team were helpful and accommodating. I have passed your comments on to Louise who like the rest of the team will take great encouragement from them. I hope it will not be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

Interesting, reasonably-priced hotel in nice grounds.

Myself and two daughters stayed in a family room for one night.

Nice bar; Clean, good-sized rooms, professional friendly staff.

While this appears to be upmarket compared to the competition it appears that they are reasonably keen to get people through the door

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time and trouble for posting your review. I was pleased to read that you and your daughters enjoyed your stay with us and found the staff professional and helpful. I hope you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2012

My daughter and now son in law chose this place for their wedding, they had a civil ceremony followed by a superb meal and finally an evening reception with buffet. I have to say when booking a room for myself and my partner we wanted to stay for 2 nights and I got what I thought was a great deal only to find when I called to confirm the booking as I had not been sent confirmation as promised that I had been booked into a standard room and wanted executive, there was a lot of confusion over extra payment I needed to make to upgrade and I was passed from pillar to post and finally I got told there was nothing extra to pay and the room was booked! On arrival The day prior to thevwedding I was told I had to pay an extra £60.00 which annoyed the hell out of me. I did have a car full of wedding attire including the wedding dress and bridesmaids outfits, the room was up 2 flights of stairs and there was not lift, the receptionist offered me a hand on my 6th trip to the room from the car park! again I was not happy! OK whining over and all that put aside the place and staff were absolutely fantastic from this point on. My daughter was treated like royalty and wanted for nothing they were led every step of the way with care and attention to detail all guests were catered for leaving the bride & groom to enjoy their special day. I have to give a special mention to Tom the toastmaster what a fantastic guy he led proceedings from when the photographer arrived all the way through to late evening and did not miss a single detail. Thank you all for a fantastic day. PS I payed the extra I was asked for on the upgrade without question.

Room Tip: No lifts but the rooms are worth climbing the stairs for.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review. I can only apologise for the confusion over your room booking. I will look into this matter and ensure retraining is completed where necessary. I was delighted to read that your daughter and son in law had a fantastic day and were treated like royalty. I will pass your thanks on to all the team as they thrive on such good feedback and it encourages them to continue to give excellent service.
I hope will we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Thanks once again for the feedback.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

We got a good deal on the room as we booked early for once! We upgraded and got a superior room and glass of pimms so good start. The staff from reception / bar / breakfast all very pleasant and have a great attitude, customer service ethic - another great assest for any hotel.
The hotel is used as a wedding venue and there was one on the Saturday we arrived - therefore if the staff were going to be under pressure it was then but they seemed to be handling the wedding party and other guests well - it's just unfortunate that we felt that we were crashing the party slightly, especially as we arrived at the front of the hotel as the bride and groom were welcoming their other guests & were a bit confused as to how they knew us! - but the bride looked stunning and no-one seemed to mind. I'm just always a bit wary of hotels who hire out "public" areas and then expect other guests to mingle/make do - to me they should focus on one or the other ... there are a brave few hotels out there which do and it makes it a better experience for all.
I agree with other reviews - the room was very hot with the window open & there are a lot of stairs - but then this is an old building and it's part of the charm. It all seemed clean bar a very dubious stain on one of our lounging chairs - but decor very dated and generally all needed a bit of a lick of paint and bringing up to date - or at least out of the 80's - pine everywhere!
Not a fan of the breakfast - very greasy but it wasn't inedible & the coffee very bland, the service from the waiting staff all good.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your review on tripadvisor.
I was pleased to read that you found all the staff friendly and helpful and that the wedding did not impact on your stay.
Our new owners are currently reviewing our property and we will be planning some refurbishment over the coming months so please visit the Hotel in the future to see the ongoing changes.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

We had our whole wedding day here from the ceremony though to the evening reception.We had a amazing day, the staff could not do enough for us and nothing was to much trouble. Nigel Fielding is an amazing man he could not do enough for us, he was very funny and friendly person. We had our wedding ceremony in the conservatory over looking the gardens then we had our wedding breakfast and evening reception in the William morris suite. We stayed in a really lovely large room the night after the wedding which was included in the package. It had a lovely bathroom with a big bath.The food we had for wedding breakfast and evening buffet was lovely and tasty and filled everyone up.The staff at Newton Park set our room up the night before our wedding and the room looked perfect when we saw it. The day went without a hitch and the manager/co-ordinator (Nigel Fielding) did an amazing job. He looked after us all day and was always one step ahead. I love how he kept saying, the bride is the boss, what ever you want we will do. We never had to worry about a thing all day. Even got us umbrellas when we want to go and have photos take in the rain. He come and got us when they set room up from the ceremony to wedding breakfast to see if it was ok and he had done a amazing job and the same with the evening reception. He even got me drinks when I was to busy having photos take etc.The garden are beautiful at Newton Park so many lovely places to have photos during the wedding, they have got a lovely stained glass window at the top of stairs inside as you go up to the rooms. I would highly recommend this place to any one who is planning a wedding day all the staff are very friendly and very helpful with any information you want to know. They even clean our room for us at the end of the night and put it all into different room for us to collect the next day has we did a lot of our wedding ourselves.The package price for our wedding day was fantastic value for money, there isn't a venue we found (and we visited alot) which could of beaten Newton Park on value and service.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NicolaTopleyDrake
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write such a fantastic review following your Wedding with us.

I have ensured that the team have seen a copy of it as it gives them great encouragement to hear that they have helped make your day so special. I have passed your thanks on to them all and especially Nigel.

I hope it will not be long before we can welcome you back to the Mercure Newton Park Hotel.

Yours sincrerely

Reviewed 11 August 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel it lots staires! Room was lovely bed comfortable only problem was even with window wide open there was no draft and even with the small desk fan provided it made little difference staff are very pleasant and nothing a problem lovely grounds and only a few minutes from centre of burton, Maybe my luck of day as it was rather warm 30c+ outside will stay again but hope its cooler as its like an oven when hotel. Thanks guys for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2012
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write a review on our Hotel. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay despite the warm weather and would return.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 August 2012

We had our whole wedding day here, from the ceremony through to the evening reception. We had an absolutely fantastic day and would recommend it to anyone looking at having their wedding here.

The conservatory where we had the ceremony and the William morris suite where the meal and evening reception are held are beautiful looking rooms as are the gardens and looked lovely on our day.

We went the day before to drop off our decorations etc and found that they had already set up the room how we had asked for it (we didnt want to do the 'top table' thing and wanted everyone to sit together).

The staff on the day were fantastic and couldnt do enough for us. They even entertained the children during the meal and speeches. The day went without a hitch and the manager/co-ordinator (Nigel) did an amazing job. He looked after us all day and was always one step ahead. We never had to worry about a thing all day. He even fetched me a mat to stand on during the photos so my shoes didnt sink into the grass, sorted out my husbands tie for him on endless occasions and got plates of food and some cake for us before it all went! His attention to detail was fantastic and made us feel so special.

The food was lovely too They give you the opportunity to try out your chosen menu for free before the wedding. We had the cheapest package and the portions are very generous. We were able to offer our guests a choice too (for a small supplement) as we couldnt decide between the dishes as they were both so nice.

We stayed here overnight and our room was spacious and comfortable.

The only tiny critisism we had was that we didnt really want to include a drinks package with our meal, presuming that our guests would buy their own (as not everyone drinks or likes what is on the package) but we were told at the time of booking that the drinks package was necessary.

However,

We couldnt have asked for a better day, the staff were so professional and polite and the whole day went like clockwork thanks to them and the tireless efforts from Nigel (this man is fantastic).

We would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a venue for their wedding, we had a brilliant day and couldnt have asked for anything more. We would do it here again if we could!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura C
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post such a "fantastic" review of our hotel on tripadvisor following your recent wedding reception held here.

I am glad that your special day was a great success and that you would receommend us to other couples. I will certainly forward your kind compliments to all the team. I know that they will all take a great deal of encouragement and inspiration from your kind words.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Mercure Burton - Upon - Trent Newton Park Hotel to experience our outstanding levels of hospitality again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#2 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
4 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-Trent
Holiday Inn Express Burton-upon-...
#4 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Central Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent Cent...
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Hallmark Hotel Derby Mickleover Court

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!