“Great Service”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Swadlincote, United Kingdom
“Great Service”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

I attended my cousins wedding at Newton Park yesterday, the attention from the staff was second to none, being a full time wheelchair user i was given preferential treatment. The wedding meal was delicious, as was the evening barbecue, my only grip was the price of drinks at the bar, a pint of pedigree was £4, which I thought was a bit over the top!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mark L
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased that the staff were attentive to you and your needs as a wheelchair user. I will pass on your compliments to the Chef and his team regarding the food and bbq. I am sorry you found the beer prices high but they are standard in a 4 star hotel. Thank you again for your invaluable feedback which the staff take great encouragement from.
Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hungarian first
zurich
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The Mercure Burton on Trent is set in some lovely grounds and from the outside it looks wow but the inside needs some maintenance and a bit of TLC as it’s an old building. The staffs are very friendly and helpful the food is of good quality and above normal hotel standards. The cooked breakfast is good value and the breakfast room is ideally located as it looks over the grounds.
The negative point is the heating that did not work at first but this was fixed and the shower has no pressure it felt like you had to dance in the shower to get wet. (I know it an old manor house but you can increase the pressure).
I would stay here again and I feel it was good value for money

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review. I was pleased to read that you found the staff very friendly and helpful and the food of good quality. I will pass your comments on to the team as they take encouragement from this. I am sorry you had issues with the heating and the shower pressure. I hope that it won't be too long before we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel. Thank you again for this review.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We had a really comfortable stay at this hotel, and received a free upgrade to a suite without asking for it. We dined in the hotel restaurant and enjoyed good food, served by the best member of staff it has been my experience to have wait on us. Nigel Fielding, I took note of his name specifically to credit him in this review. He made the whole dining experience a true five star occasion, with good humour wrapped in total professionalism. This alone made the whole dining experience thoroughly enjoyable. I will certainly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 23 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write this review, it is very much appreciated and I am pleased to read you will stay with us again. I will pass your comments on to the whole team and, in particular, Nigel.
I hope it won't be too long before we welcome you back to the Hotel.

Kirton in Lindsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Friendly, welcoming and efficient staff in a characterful 'country house style hotel'. The very nice reception rooms are wood panelled in the style of the property giving it a stylish and traditional feel. Excellent restaurant serving very well presented superb food (probably the best mussels in wine & cream I've had), with professional and friendly service from the waiter/restaurant manager.

Nice, well manicured gardens make a morning stroll a pleasure in this peaceful rural setting.

If I was ever back in the area, I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Newton Park again - and eat in it's restaurant! A great addition to the Accor group!

1 Thank pwdewick
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. The Head Chef and his team will be especially pleased to read your remarks about the mussels as this is a new addition to our menu. It gives me great pleasure to read that you found the team here friendly, welcoming and efficient as they pride themselves in their customer service and it gives them great encouragement to hear customers' comments.
I hope you do get the opportunity to return to the area and stay with us again in the near future.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

We attended the Newton Park as part of a wedding party. The occasion seemed to be very well managed and the organisation of the day seemed excellent (as a guest). For mass catering, the food was excellent. A well chosen menu, all provided by efficient staff to all guests quickly and the remaining hot (and not a soggy piece of veg in sight!). The reason for the average score was a number of smaller things that tarnished what seemed to be a very well-oiled machine.
Having worked in the catering trade for a number of years there were a few service mistakes during dinner that I would not have expected from a hotel restaurant of this class, although the master of ceremonies was outstanding. The room we had contained a double bed, but was clearly a room for a kingsize, so the fixed furniture looked very odd. The bar costs were hugely inflated (and we also got charged twice for some of the bar tabs on checkout). This hotel could be a well polished machine if the small items were cleaned up a little

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PhillipIngham
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that you found the food and organisation of the day excellent and the staff efficient. It is helpful for us to get a guest's perspective to help us improve our standards. I will pass your comments on to the team here as they will be greatly encouraged by your observations. I am sorry that you were charged twice for some bar tabs; unfortunately, we have a manual till system which means that human error can happen. Thank you again for your review and I hope you may visit us again for another occasion.
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2013

A very nice Country House hotel with eager-to-please staff. It would benefit from some decoration but it was clean, if at times a bit drab. The restaurant is excellent for choice, service and quality/presentation of food.
The bar was well stocked, though the bar staff were a little rusty on cocktails.
Reception I only saw at checking in and out and the staff were efficient, friendly and polite.
We had one small problem with a damaged kettle in the room but that was replaced with a new one promptly.
I'd recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to celebrate a special occasion - for me it was my birthday and the restaurant put a candle in my dessert and sang "Happy Birthday".

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review, it is much appreciated especially by the team here who strive to make every guests experience one to remember. I will pass your comments on and I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Your sincerely
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We have recently spent one night bed and breakfast with an evening meal for my birthday celebration. The location of the hotel is lovely with extensive grounds. Having mobility difficulties the first problem was in getting up the steps to the hotel. There are hand rails but the top step is difficult to manage even with the hand rail. Then there is a further higher step into the foyer with no ramp or grab handles. I was lucky I had my husband's assistance to help me up the step. We had booked a superior room but the room allocated was up some steps so we accepted a different room on the second floor with a four poster bed. Although not a large room the bed was comfortable and we had a good night's sleep. Everywhere was clean and the staff were very helpful. The meals were excellent with the food hot and cooked as requested. Plenty of choice for breakfast available although not always out on the buffet bar. A very enjoyable break and we shall probably stay again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write this review, it is much appreciated by the team here. I am pleased to read that you plan to stay again and that you found the staff very helpful and the food excellent. I have asked my Maintenance team to review the handrail situation at the front door to see if we can improve it in light of your comments; although we have an entrance with a ramp to the left of main entrance which you may find better for your next stay. Thank you again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
Dovecliff Hall Hotel
#3 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
The Unicorn Inn
The Unicorn Inn
#1 of 2 in Newton Solney
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East...
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#9 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!