“disability friendly”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“disability friendly”
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I suffer from ME so get very tired quickly and need to sit with my head and legs fully supported. The staff were great - they allowed me to put my feet up, supplied cushions, and later moved an armchair from the lounge to the disco/reception hall so I could still be present at the wedding reception. When struggling with my walking stick to carry a buffet plate the staff escorted me through a shortcut and then held my plate and carried it to my table. They couldn't have been kinder. Thank you for treating me like a person but recognising and accommodating my needs without making me feel like a nuisance. Wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that the team here took care of you and I will pass your comments on to them as they will take great encouragement from them. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Hungarian first
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was at the Hotel for a friend's wedding. Lovely setting, lovely place, lovely well kept gardens. The wedding meal was superb. The lamb was delicious and plentiful! The master of ceremonies was confident and very good. Drinks service at the little bar by the exit to the garden was slow, needed two people serving. Lovely to wander around the peaceful gardens. I did not stay overnight. From what I experienced and saw, can well recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review.I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your friend's wedding and I will pass your comments onto the team as they take great encouragement from this.
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting shame about customer service. Internet access was so slow removed the option from rooms for lan cable and unable to connect late at night or early morning. Breakfast was a stressful experience. Staff very curt and very rushed not time to sit down at table before demanding what you wanted cooked. fruit served was Past its best and not edible, cooked breakfast was cold on a hot plate. Staff member had poor english and made to feel very uncomfortable. Would not stay again for money better service in premier inn. Reception apologised but did not offer compensation will certainly be following up duty manager. Not recommended

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry to read that your experience at breakfast was not up to our usual standard. I have asked my Food & Beverage Manager to investigate this and retrain the team where necessary. Thank you again for the feedback as this enables us to continually improve our standards.

Travellers are raving about these Newton Solney hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had very mixed feelings about this place. The venue is nice, but the service and value for money was poor - The manager working was also a joke! We were at a party with approx 30 others, the queue for the bar was shocking. Considering it was midweek and the venue not overly busy, we had to wait 30 minutes to get a drink at the bar. They felt that 1 bar staff was adequate on a hot day when everyone was clearly gasping. Food was OK, but for what we paid we felt that it wasnt good value. Could you please appoint more bar staff, people get very annoyed when they have to wait so long for a drink (especially when the manager shows no intrest when you ask him to put more staff on the bar).

1 Thank davebenson
hotelmanagerBurton, Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was disappointed to hear of your experiences with our bar, especially as you say the venue was not overly busy. We have taken onboard your comments concerning service issues and will take a look at staffing levels during these quieter periods.
Thank you once again for your feedback which is invaluable in helping us improve our service standards.

Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

I had an enjoyable stay here overall last Tuesday. Pleasant building and grounds. Restaurant food and service was good, only downside to the stay was service in the bar. The two young men behind the bar seemed unable to work out if they were more bothered about me and other guests, or their own conversation: 5 minutes of this in a hotel I can generally tolerate, this seemed to go on all evening. Apart from that, breakfast was top class and I congratulate the management on an enjoyable stay and I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed July 2013
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found the building and grounds so pleasant. I was also pleased to hear you found the restaurant food and service good and I will take the liberty of passing on your comments to the team, who will take great encouragement from such comments. Please rest assured that the two members of staff mentioned have been received 'corrective' training.
I hope this incident did not deter your stay too much and that we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Having recently stayed at the Letchwoth Hall Mercure, it was interesting to stay at this sister hotel. The building is a nice regency building, but nothing is done to enhance its features. It lacks atmosphere and at the height of a good summer the gardens had aneglected feel to them. The room was comfortable and clean, but overhot on the hottest day of the year. We dined in the hotel the first night, the food was ok but lacked any wow factor and was quite pricey for what was a bit middle of the road. Two of the staff, Emma on reception when we arrived and Richard in charge of dining on the first night and generally around were exceptional . The rest were ok but breakfast on the second day was disappointing...although the hotel was less than half full, there was no fresh fruit available40 mins before the end of service, and the buffet lacked bread, yoghurt milk on request. This was in part down to the staff member who gave a clear impression he would rather be elsewhere and in fact started to clear the buffet away 20 mins before the end of service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are apparently always hot
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff H
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that you found Emma on Reception and Richard in the Restaurant exceptional, they will take great encouragement from your comments. As a Grade 2 listed building we are unable to fit AC, which would make the rooms more comfortable on hot days, however, upon request we are always happy to supply fans to rooms. We have taken onboard from comments regarding service issues, without which we cannot improve.
Saffron Walden
Reviewed 24 July 2013

A very nice hotel with very helpful staff especially Louise on reception who could not do enough for us. The rooms in the new part of the hotel are larger and more comfortable than the old part. The gardens are beautiful and the breakfast delicious and freshly cooked for you. The village is lovely so do have a stroll to the river whilst you are there and the locals in the village pub were great fun.

Room Tip: Choose the new part of the hotel - Room 203 has a four poster bed
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I was pleased to read that you found the staff very helpful especially Louise and I will pass your comments onto all the team. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
#1 of 1 in Branston
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!