“Quite stately, peaceful location - cheaper to book direct with hotel !”

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
“Quite stately, peaceful location - cheaper to book direct with hotel !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Impressive upon first arrival although the view from the rear of the building is better. We booked two rooms for the five of us adults and got an amazing offer including breakfasts by booking direct through the hotel - CHEAPER THAN THE DISCOUNT HOTEL SITES. The website gives an accurate depiction of the hotel decor - which is very dated and probably not to many people's taste in the public areas - however, the bedrooms are clean, spacious and functional.

Negative points: lack of large towels (too many hand towels and floor towels)
the T.V. only has channels 1,2,3, Dave and a news channel that are free to
watch - everything else you have to pay for

Positive points: spacious rooms, lovely views, everything works, decent hair-drier

Breakfast - £13.95 Menu price
Breakfast was described to me over the 'phone before arrival as "buffet style". This sadly only applied to the cold selection. There was plenty of fruit and cereal, a small selection of croissants but I was disappointed to find no offer of cold meats or cheese - which you would expect in a 4 star establishment. The hot breakfast choice you had to order from the menu. I don't know why they can't just put the standard items out on the buffet table. The sausages were very small and there was no choice other than "cumberland" and the mushrooms are definitely from a tin. I did query this with the waiter as they were pale in colour, tasteless and rubbery. I was assured they were fresh but I wasn't fooled - if they were not tinned they had definitely gone through some kind of unnecessary processing. The toast was a "do it yourself" job which is fine because you get it as you want it and it is hotter than when served.
Overall breakfast was good but I would not have been of the same opinion had we paid the full price. Also the hotel might want to re-think their choice of background music as a male Welsh choir is not everyone's cup of tea,

Leisure facilities - disappointing. The gym consists of a Xtrainer, a bike and either a treadmill or a rowing machine (can't quite remember which) and has been added as an afterthought. There is not even a pool table in the bar. So you will need to bring something with you if you don't just want to sit in the bar drinking or stay in your room watching T.V. I had brought along a game of "Family Fortunes" which kept us entertained long enough until we were ready to sleep.

We chose to stay at this hotel as it was midway between the National Space Centre in Leicester and Alton Towers - the destinations of our two-day trip. I would say it is more for older couples and business travellers due to the hotel's lack of facilities. However, if you do plan on visiting these two attractions, it is a good stop-off point as long as you remember to bring your own entertainment.

The staff were professional, smart and friendly and we found no cleaning issues.
Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Customer feedback is invaluable in our strive to improve our standards. I am pleased that you found the staff professional and friendly and had no cleaning issues. In our lounge, the Oak Room, we have a selection of games for children of all ages including a wii, I am sorry that the staff did not show your children where they were. We do not serve our hot breakfast on a buffet as we find that it is not kept as warm as it should be and serving individual orders means that the food is hot and fresh. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Hungarian first
Rochford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a wedding party and the building and grounds are perfect for such an event. The hotel is set in a village about 10 minutes drive from Burton Upon Trent.

The room was clean but very small. The bathroom particularly was tiny although well maintained. It was also very hot with no air conditioning which meant we had to have the window open to try and get some air. The function room was also very hot in the evening when it was full of wedding guests.

The reception staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food was good although the breakfast menu for cooked food had items on that they didn't have which confused our server when I was ordering individual items rather than a full English. It confused her to such an extent that I just got served the full English rather than what I ordered!

The bar is very expensive although I don't normally drink in hotel bars so this may be typical. There are some pubs nearby which we would have gone to had we not been with other people from the wedding party.

Room Tip: The rooms do differ in size so if you need a larger room ask.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you found the food good and the team friendly and helpful. As the Hotel is an 18th century Grade 2 listed manor house, we are unable to fit air conditioning and some of the rooms vary in size and have original features giving it character. Thank you again for your feedback, it is essential for us as we strive to improve our standards.
Kuwait City, Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

The staff at this hotel are excellent, Emma on Reception was great when I turned with a mountain bike and asked where I could keep it and the duty manager last night went out if his way to solve a noisy room problem. Unfortunately the hotel could be better. The shower is so weak you sometimes wonder if its actually on. The TV takes ages to actually get where you want it as they try and sell you movies and stuff every time you turn it on and many free view channels are missing. The menu is rather limited so I'll be eating elsewhere for much of the week. Rooms are adequate rather than great and are cluttered with unnecessary chairs I can't imagine anyone using so don't really see the point of them. All in all a decent hotel that could be great.

• Stayed August 2013
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Mr Whitelegg
Thank you for posting this review. I am pleased to hear that you have found the staff excellent and I will pass on your comments to them and, in particular, Emma. I have asked our Maintenance Engineer to have a look at your shower and TV channels. Our TV system is supplied by an external supplier and I will pass on your feedback to our Head Of IT to see if they can change how the system presents itself to guests. I am sorry you find the menu limited as we have had lots of positive feedback from our regular corporate guests who stay every week. It is due for it's next seasonal change in the Autumn. Thank you once again for your feedback.
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I suffer from ME so get very tired quickly and need to sit with my head and legs fully supported. The staff were great - they allowed me to put my feet up, supplied cushions, and later moved an armchair from the lounge to the disco/reception hall so I could still be present at the wedding reception. When struggling with my walking stick to carry a buffet plate the staff escorted me through a shortcut and then held my plate and carried it to my table. They couldn't have been kinder. Thank you for treating me like a person but recognising and accommodating my needs without making me feel like a nuisance. Wonderful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that the team here took care of you and I will pass your comments on to them as they will take great encouragement from them. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Rugeley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was at the Hotel for a friend's wedding. Lovely setting, lovely place, lovely well kept gardens. The wedding meal was superb. The lamb was delicious and plentiful! The master of ceremonies was confident and very good. Drinks service at the little bar by the exit to the garden was slow, needed two people serving. Lovely to wander around the peaceful gardens. I did not stay overnight. From what I experienced and saw, can well recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post this review.I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your friend's wedding and I will pass your comments onto the team as they take great encouragement from this.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Lovely setting shame about customer service. Internet access was so slow removed the option from rooms for lan cable and unable to connect late at night or early morning. Breakfast was a stressful experience. Staff very curt and very rushed not time to sit down at table before demanding what you wanted cooked. fruit served was Past its best and not edible, cooked breakfast was cold on a hot plate. Staff member had poor english and made to feel very uncomfortable. Would not stay again for money better service in premier inn. Reception apologised but did not offer compensation will certainly be following up duty manager. Not recommended

Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry to read that your experience at breakfast was not up to our usual standard. I have asked my Food & Beverage Manager to investigate this and retrain the team where necessary. Thank you again for the feedback as this enables us to continually improve our standards.

Travellers are raving about these Newton Solney hotels

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

We had very mixed feelings about this place. The venue is nice, but the service and value for money was poor - The manager working was also a joke! We were at a party with approx 30 others, the queue for the bar was shocking. Considering it was midweek and the venue not overly busy, we had to wait 30 minutes to get a drink at the bar. They felt that 1 bar staff was adequate on a hot day when everyone was clearly gasping. Food was OK, but for what we paid we felt that it wasnt good value. Could you please appoint more bar staff, people get very annoyed when they have to wait so long for a drink (especially when the manager shows no intrest when you ask him to put more staff on the bar).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank davebenson
hotelmanagerBurton, Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was disappointed to hear of your experiences with our bar, especially as you say the venue was not overly busy. We have taken onboard your comments concerning service issues and will take a look at staffing levels during these quieter periods.
Thank you once again for your feedback which is invaluable in helping us improve our service standards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#1 of 1 in Branston
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East Hotel
Premier Inn Burton On Trent East...
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#9 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!