“Okay hotel for the price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Kelso, United Kingdom
“Okay hotel for the price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

4 of us stayed on Sunday. The building requires some work as it suffers from many damp areas, the wall in the restaurant is covered in 'salts'. That aside staff were friendly, rooms were a good size, it was quiet and not expensive. A very small thing - we had sandwiches in the afternoon, bread was a bit dry and vegetable crisps they were served with we're so stale you could bend them!

• Stayed September 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 5 September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that you found the staff friendly and I will pass this onto the team. With regards the wall in the Restaurant, this is due to an issue we at the end of July and we are currently awaiting the plaster to dry before it is replaced. I am sorry that you found the vegetable crisps stale, I will address this with our Head Chef. Thank you once again for this review. I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Moira Banks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hungarian first
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed for 2 nights B&B with evening meal on our first night.
When we arrived we were greeted by helpful and friendly staff we got to our room it was the Derbyshire suite with a nice four poster bed and the room was clean no complaints.The evening meal choice was fine and the food was very good also both breakfasts we had ticked all the boxes.The hotel is in a great location and the grounds are lovely enjoyed a couple of drinks out in the garden in the late summer sun.
Would go back again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your break with us and would stay again. I will pass your feedback on to the team as they will take great encouragement from it. I hope it won't be long before we welcome you back to the Hotel.
Regards
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Firstly, I warn people to be careful when booking online. My wife booked online and something went wrong with the booking website when trying to book the room and a message popped up saying "don't worry, we haven't taken any money in this transaction". We tried again and payment was accepted and we didn't think much else of it.

We arrived at the hotel and the young lady in reception, questioned us about our room booking. It turned out that we had been charged twice. What happened next kind of dictated the mood of our 1st year anniversary, unfortunately.

The hotel could see it was a genuine mistake, but the lady in reception couldn't do anything about a refund because the hotel itself had not exchanged any money, the central office had via the website. This still wasn't considered an issue for us, until it wasn't made clear whether we would be able to get a refund at all!

We got a call to our room as they had rung the central offices, but apparently they still couldn't make any refund until the Monday (it was Friday afternoon) because they said no one was around to authorise it - we were booked there for 3 nights.

We decided to ring the central offices ourselves and after a lot of phone tennis, we finally got through to someone who knew about the situation and they explained that it was the hotel who had asked them to wait until Monday!?

Later that evening the manager spoke with us and explained that he would do everything he could to ensure our problem was resolved. But still, it wasn't a guarantee. This left us with a sour taste in our mouths for the whole time we were there and made us reluctant to spend any money in the bar or restaurant there. I felt a complete lack of transparency and as I said at the start, it put a downer on our entire stay there.

Finally, on Monday, a lovely lady in reception was very helpful and was much more positive about us being able to get the refund. It made a world of difference and 2 hours later she was able to put the refund through and we got our receipt and could go onto try and enjoy what was left of our short break.

About our stay, we had a couple of other issues too. The first room we were put in, didn't even have a shower, whilst it wasn't advertised as having one I was surprised since it was a Mercure. The second room was a lot better, but still not to the normal standard we are used with with this company.

The breakfast quality was average, with the biggest disappointment being no buffet style breakfast. What was on offer regarding cereals and fresh fruits, was very limited and you felt you couldn't take the last few items as you would be denying other guests from having some themselves. No toast was offered on the first night, but on the two other nights toast making facilities were present.

The biggest joke though, was when the breakfasts came on the second morning. On the first morning, when asked for sausages both me and my wife got 2 sausages each. The next day, my wife asked for 3 sausages...which she got...but I only had 1 sausage! We could have orchestrated that swap for ourselves, but we just figured it wasn't worth the hassle.

There was also a misunderstanding one evening when we did decide to eat there, my wife asked if she could have the 'skinny fries' from the bar menu in the restaurant. The lady serving us (same one from the morning) didn't look like she understood us but said that it would be ok. My wife was then served just normal oven chips. No fault of the chefs at all, just a misunderstanding and the gent who seemed to be in charge of the food room sorted it and got the chefs to make some skinny fries, much to my wife's delight.

There just seemed to be an inconsistency to the whole experience. Some staff were very below par and out of their depths, others were just great though. The bar-man was also very friendly and when asked if he could make cocktails he said he could, but freely admitted he didn't know how but if we found out the ingredients he would make it for us, which we really appreciated.

Our stay was definitely tarnished from the moment we checked in due to the double booking issue, but I have not let this affect my star rating. The place needs a kick up the back-side!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry to hear you had issues with the website taking your payment twice. Unfortunately as it is not the Hotel who take the payment, we cannot make a refund and have to get it corrected through our Central Reservations which is what happened. I am sorry that you were disappointed that we did not have a hot buffet breakfast, we find that our guests prefer to have a freshly prepared hot breakfast straight from the kitchen. Thank you for your feedback as this helps us to continually improve our standards.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

Located in the peaceful village of Newton Solney near Burton Upon Trent. Dated room as expected and understandably in this period of property however bathrooms are inexcusable and are crying out for refurbishment. Some of the best kept attractive gardens I've experienced in a hotel.The food was most adequate for our needs yet their is some clear improvement to be concerning the quality of the cooked breakfast (Don't order scrambled eggs)..Attentive service from friendly helpful staff.Would like to thank everyone who made my stay enjoyable Louise on reception who answered any query we had and was only happy to help ,and Connie on breakfast who nothing was to much trouble for ,making sure we had everything we wanted and needed even finding us with a copy of the history after a brief conversation,even on a busy breakfast.Credit to your hotel.Thankyou!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I was pleased to read that you found the team friendly & helpful, in particular Louise & Connie and I will ensure that they are recognised as a result of your feedback. I will also pass on your feedback regarding the scrambled egg to our Head Chef. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope you will visit us again in the near future.
Clitheroe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Impressive upon first arrival although the view from the rear of the building is better. We booked two rooms for the five of us adults and got an amazing offer including breakfasts by booking direct through the hotel - CHEAPER THAN THE DISCOUNT HOTEL SITES. The website gives an accurate depiction of the hotel decor - which is very dated and probably not to many people's taste in the public areas - however, the bedrooms are clean, spacious and functional.

Negative points: lack of large towels (too many hand towels and floor towels)
the T.V. only has channels 1,2,3, Dave and a news channel that are free to
watch - everything else you have to pay for

Positive points: spacious rooms, lovely views, everything works, decent hair-drier

Breakfast - £13.95 Menu price
Breakfast was described to me over the 'phone before arrival as "buffet style". This sadly only applied to the cold selection. There was plenty of fruit and cereal, a small selection of croissants but I was disappointed to find no offer of cold meats or cheese - which you would expect in a 4 star establishment. The hot breakfast choice you had to order from the menu. I don't know why they can't just put the standard items out on the buffet table. The sausages were very small and there was no choice other than "cumberland" and the mushrooms are definitely from a tin. I did query this with the waiter as they were pale in colour, tasteless and rubbery. I was assured they were fresh but I wasn't fooled - if they were not tinned they had definitely gone through some kind of unnecessary processing. The toast was a "do it yourself" job which is fine because you get it as you want it and it is hotter than when served.
Overall breakfast was good but I would not have been of the same opinion had we paid the full price. Also the hotel might want to re-think their choice of background music as a male Welsh choir is not everyone's cup of tea,

Leisure facilities - disappointing. The gym consists of a Xtrainer, a bike and either a treadmill or a rowing machine (can't quite remember which) and has been added as an afterthought. There is not even a pool table in the bar. So you will need to bring something with you if you don't just want to sit in the bar drinking or stay in your room watching T.V. I had brought along a game of "Family Fortunes" which kept us entertained long enough until we were ready to sleep.

We chose to stay at this hotel as it was midway between the National Space Centre in Leicester and Alton Towers - the destinations of our two-day trip. I would say it is more for older couples and business travellers due to the hotel's lack of facilities. However, if you do plan on visiting these two attractions, it is a good stop-off point as long as you remember to bring your own entertainment.

The staff were professional, smart and friendly and we found no cleaning issues.
Would stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. Customer feedback is invaluable in our strive to improve our standards. I am pleased that you found the staff professional and friendly and had no cleaning issues. In our lounge, the Oak Room, we have a selection of games for children of all ages including a wii, I am sorry that the staff did not show your children where they were. We do not serve our hot breakfast on a buffet as we find that it is not kept as warm as it should be and serving individual orders means that the food is hot and fresh. Thank you again for your constructive feedback.
Rochford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of a wedding party and the building and grounds are perfect for such an event. The hotel is set in a village about 10 minutes drive from Burton Upon Trent.

The room was clean but very small. The bathroom particularly was tiny although well maintained. It was also very hot with no air conditioning which meant we had to have the window open to try and get some air. The function room was also very hot in the evening when it was full of wedding guests.

The reception staff were all very friendly and helpful. The food was good although the breakfast menu for cooked food had items on that they didn't have which confused our server when I was ordering individual items rather than a full English. It confused her to such an extent that I just got served the full English rather than what I ordered!

The bar is very expensive although I don't normally drink in hotel bars so this may be typical. There are some pubs nearby which we would have gone to had we not been with other people from the wedding party.

Room Tip: The rooms do differ in size so if you need a larger room ask.