“Lovely location, food good, but not great.”

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Reviewed 10 February 2014

A Venetian restaurateur once told me that he hates the English because they complain about their food after they've eaten and when he could do noting about it.

I enjoyed the meal I had here, however it wasn't perfect. The issues with the meal weren't large enough to make a complaint, and spoil it for the remainder of my party, but there were still issues. These issues included slightly crusty mashed potato, probably due to keeping the meal warm while preparing the meals for the rest of my party. The Chicken Wellington was tasty, but the pastry was short crust rather than puff, puff would of worked better (in my opinion). The meal's temperature was not consistent. None of it was cold, but some of it was too hot to eat, while other bits were warm; this did affect the enjoyment of the meal and makes me questioned how it was reheated. None of my party complained about their meals.

I want to emphasise that I enjoyed the meal, but I wish it was better.

The decoration of the hotel seemed authentic and in keeping with the age of the property although the plastic Mecure signs did detract, however this is standard fayre for a chain hotel.

The Manager of this hotel seems to reply to all of these messages, which is great attention to detail. Sorry I didn't highlight my problems to the waiter/host/receptionist/barman, however he seemed rushed off his feet and the meal was enjoyable enough at the time and I didn't want to spoil my party's meals.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Thank you for posting this review. I will pass on your comments to the Head Chef as it is invaluable as we strive to improve our standards for our guests. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park

Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is an older character property, converted into a modern hotel, so you get a bit of both worlds. It's fine for an overnight stay, but some aspects of general areas & rooms are a little tired. But it's efficient and clean, and there are some nice architectural features and views across the gardens. Dining room very nice, and a good hot breakfast cooked to order. Location-wise it's just a few miles outside Burton. There are two pubs within easy walking distance if you don't fancy hotel food & bar (Bricklayers & Unicorn).

Room Tip: Some rooms are on ground floor, which may be a plus for disabled travellers
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I hope we will get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

pleasant country location outside an attractive village, characterful old brewery family home, comfortable but not modern. excellent staff and service, rooms were large and comfortable if a little worn.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you found the staff and service excellent. I will ensure the team hear of your comments. I hope it won't be long before we get the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 25 January 2014

My family of 6 booked a meal Friday evening using our Taste Cards. We had previously been for Sunday lunch a couple of times. The food was brilliant and so well presented. We all said we have never had such good food especially the chips which were out of this world!!!!
The waiter (Friday Jan 24 th ) was also fantastic with a great sense of humour as well.
We will definitively be back.
Wendy Swann

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is much appreciated. I will ensure the team hear of the feedback as they take great encouragment from it. The homemade chips are a big favourite with many of our guests as so many places use frozen. I hope it won't be long before we welcome you back for either lunch or dinner. Thank you again for this feedback.

Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

On arriving at the hotel the first impression was wow! looks like a old building with lovely grounds (just a shame it was cold and wet and we didn't get to walk around). We checked in the lady was very welcoming and polite which is always a good first impressions just a shame the room wasn't didn't on opening the door, the room seem like a very standard hotel room which is fine if the price reflexed that! £130 for a room on the website, luckily we had got a cheaper deal through the wedding party. We had taken a bottle of bubbly to pop at new year so to keep it cool we filled the sink with cold water we were HORRIFIED to see the water a brown / orange colour, im just glad I had shower before at home. The size of the room was a little small but for what we wanted it for it did the job we literally just wanted some where to rest or drunken eyes till morning which this did. The bar was very expensive bit having been a few weddings this year it is at all venues so we expected that, I the bar staff were all brilliant and offer excellent service even tho they were working on nye, the main room were we had the wedding reception was stunning and again the waiters were quick around to move plates and polite. Breakfast this morning was average the price of the breakfast if you booked via the Internet was a extra £15 per person and I don't think it was that nice but as we got it included in our cheaper price it was so bad the staff wernt so polite or helpful in this morning but that could have something to do with it been new years day the cold buffet wasn't restocked at all whilst I was there and there was no milk left for cereal and no glasses for the juice. Our overall stay was great just Don't think we would go just spend a night away here...

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you enjoyed the Wedding Reception and found the staff polite & helpful. I am sorry to hear that htere was issues at breakfast. Our Food & Beverage Manager will be addressing this with the team on duty as this is not our usual standard.
Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We had a really nice time the staff were very helpful especially the maître d. The food was great the hotel is olde worldly but good. It is like a labyrinth with stairs everywhere so take care not to get lost. The web deals make this a well worthwhile venue.

Room Tip: Up grade to superior is worthwhile.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you baack in 2014.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We went for a Christmas party night and chose to stay overnight at the hotel which was very handy. The hotel itself is beautiful and in a beautiful location. Check in was fine and we were glad we had not pre-booked breakfast at £15pp as we were offered it for £6.95 pp at check in.

The room was good spacious, comfy bed with nice pillows. Coffee making facilities were in the room as were An iron and ironing board. The bathroom was dated .. A change of tiles alone would have updated the whole look of the bathroom.

The Christmas party night itself was good fun and the tables etc were elaborately decked. The casino tables were good fun too. Drinks were quite well priced..Not overly extortionate , as we had been previously led to believe.

The breakfast was nice with an array of cereals, yogurts, fruit , toast etc and a full English. Certainly not worth the £15 though

All in all it did the job....in very pleasant surroundings.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you enjoyed the Christmas party night. I will ensure the team here read your comments as they take great encouragement from such reviews. Have a great Christmas and New Year and I hope you will consider visiting us again in 2014.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
#1 of 1 in Branston
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!