“Neil f ”

Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Newton Solney
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Beautiful hotel and gardens lovely to see a building of this period as far as the food faultless as for the staff very professional a credit to your g.m. Will look to vist again very soon thank all your team .i did take the time to read other reviews but and found some negative response but all I can say is you will never please everybody trust me I was on a mission to find faults but could not if you are the type of person who loves a hotel with history and original features this is the place for you

Stayed: August 2014
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. The team will be pleased to hear your comments as they take great encouragement from hearing such reviews. I hope it won't be long before we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Kind Regards

There are newer reviews for Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park

Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family & I checked in several hours ago. Whilst our room is clean & tidy, it is also very basic. There is no mini fridge in the room, which means all medicines have to be left in the fridge at reception. The rooms are VERY hot with little ventilation. There is a mini fan in the room & the staff informed me "this is all they have", which is absolutely useless. How hard would it be to buy some portable fans to keep your guests happy? The tap lagers were all warm & they don't know how to mix cocktails, even though they are on the menu...let's hope things get better!! If I was travelling alone I would have checked out by now & gone elsewhere!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mila E
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for posting this review. I am sorry you were disappointed on arrival. As the hotel is an 18th century grade 2 listed building we are unable to have air conditioning and provide fans like most people have at home to help. I believe when you checked out you thanked the team for your stay so I am pleased we were able to turn around your first impression.
Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Me and boyfriend decided it would be nice to go away for our 5 year anniversary, this looked a beautiful hotel set in a lovely location, I was most impressed when we pulled up, check in was quick and easy, we walked up several flights of stairs to a room in the very top corner of the hotel only to find that the room was an absoulte mess and there was still tea left over from the guests before and dirty wet towels everywhere!! Good start to our stay. We had to make our way all the way back down to the reception to be sent straight back up to the room next to it! When we got in all I thought was I paid £80 for THIS!! It was really disappointing! However we decided to go down to the bar and have a few drinks, the gardens are beautiful and I felt so peaceful and relaxed sitting out there. We later decided we would eat in the restaurant so we went upstairs for a shower and to get changed, surprise suprise the shower didn't even work, you had to sit down the bath as if you lifted the shower head up the water cut out, eventually we got to the restaurant which was lovely, we had a smoked haddock fish cake to start, now being a chef myself i am very critical but the chef on starters obviously didn't have any skill as the spinach has it's own personal puddle of water, the fish cake was just potato as it had been bought in and the poached egg was rock hard, however the main course was absolutely beautiful, it was very well presented and tasted lovely, I could not fault it 10/10.
The bed was very comfy and clean. The next day we got up early to go to breakfast, we walked in the restaurant to greeted by the rudest women I have ever met! She was running around the restaurant shouting at the guests and getting annoyed at you if you asked for a drink! When we asked for a breakfast menu she threw one down on the table and walked away! We finally ordered eggs benedict, when it came out it looked okay but when I cut into it, the muffin wasn't even toasted, the bacon was nearly raw and the poached egg was rock hard again, I should haven't learnt my lesson from the night before, the only nice thing was the hollandaise sauce and that was because it was out of a packet! So we decided to look at the buffet, it was bare there was no fruit left and only a few pastries! And this was at 8.00 they still had an hour to go! We decided it was best for us to leave at that point! It is such a shame as this hotel is beautiful and if they refurbished this standard rooms so the furniture didn't break on you when you open a drawer and the basic facilities worked and the staff were friendly towards you and not just plain rude I would defiantly stay again!

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Elliemay94
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry you were checked into a room which was not serviced from a previous guest. This was due to an error on our computer system which meant that our housekeeping team had the incorrect information so missed the room. I have passed your comments on regarding the food & the breakfast waitress to our Food & Beverage Manager to investigated and deal with as this is not our usual standard. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Arrived at the hotel to rude reception no offer of help with bags to the room or clear direction to the room up 3 flights of stairs. Got to the room key wouldn't work had to call rude man on reception finally got into the room to find it was dirty bed unmade from previous guest. Moved to room next door bathroom dirty with hairs in the bath and rubbish in the bin. Shower didn't work no advertised facilities. Staff unsympathetic. Stayed in nicer unrated hotels.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Carrielouise80

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am sorry that you were checked into a room which was unserviced from a previous guest. This was due to a problem with the computer system that meant the housekeeping team had the incorrect information to work to. The room which were then moved to was a bath only room which was explained and the offer to move to another room with a walk in shower was declined by yourself. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night ahead of a business meeting just outside Burton. The hotel's in a picturesque spot and the village had a couple of nice-looking pubs, although we didn't get chance to sample these. Otherwise the location is probably not that useful; our morning drive through Burton was slow and plagued with traffic.

We stayed in the hotel bar for the evening which does a good range of food at typical hotel prices (£12-15 for a main) and serves a good pint of Bass. Staff on check-in and serving us in the bar were friendly and helpful. There's free wifi but it was difficult to pick up in the breakfast restaurant.

Breakfast was a different experience - it's table service for the cooked options and for some reason it took ages to make a few poached eggs. The surly waitress wasn't particularly helpful either and it wasn't as if they were rushed off their feet. All I can say is leave yourself plenty of time.

The room was nice enough, decor was a little tired around the edges but this reflects the grand old house you're staying in. My bathroom was an odd galley-style arrangement, which took some manoeuvring at times...

Overall a pleasant stay but I wouldn't go overboard - I've stayed at better Mercures.

• Stayed: June 2014
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased you found the team friendly & helpful at Reception & in the bar. I will pass on your comments regarding breakfast to our Food & Beverage Manager to investigate. Thank you again for you feedback. I hope you will stay again if in the area for business.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

We had our wedding here on Saturday 7th June 2014, including overnight stays for us and most of our guests. The hotel is in a peaceful location with plenty of room to move about in the many rooms and gardens, which made it an excellent venue for our wedding ceremony, wedding breakfast and evening reception. The food was great throughout and the staff courteous and dedicated - nothing was to much trouble. We would highly recommend this venue for your wedding or any other special occasion - and most of our guests also said so. Our guests said their rooms were clean and comfortable and they enjoyed staying in them.
All of this, helped contribute to our fantastic day. So a big thank you to all the lovely staff, we really appreciate it. Best wishes from Mr and Mrs Gordon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Thank you John & Lynn for taking the time to post this great review. We are all really pleased to hear that you had a great day and we hope you will pop in and see us soon. Enjoy married life. Kind Regards

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed at the Newton Park overnight after a wedding in mid May. We last stayed there nearly 32 years ago on the night of our own wedding so the event was very nostalgic!
Our room was lovely. It was very clean and extremely comfortable. The bed was pristine. Bright white linen and very good pillows. It was so peaceful. No traffic noise, just birds in the beautifully manicured grounds. There was everything you need in the room as expected in a Mercure Hotel.
The breakfast was excellent. Continental with cereals, juices, fruits, breads and preserves and/or a full English cooked to order - served in a lovely sunny period room with views of the garden.
There is a nice bar and lounge area and the staircase is a focal element just through from reception with many original features throughout. There is plentiful parking and the hotel is an excellent base for many local attractions. All in all thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
hotelmanagerBurton, General Manager at Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post this review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your comments on to the team here. I hope you won't wait another 32 years before visiting us again. Thank you again for your review. Kind Regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton Solney
#1 of 1 in Branston
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge
#8 of 11 in Burton upon Trent

Been to Mercure Burton Upon Trent Newton Park? Share your experiences!