“Very dissapointing meal”

The Spread Eagle
Price range: US$9 - US$34
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Spread Eagle is a beautiful pub, set in the chocolate box village of Rolleston on Dove. The building is a piece of living history. Established in 1651 it is one of the oldest buildings in Rolleston. By coming to The Spread Eagle you'll be experiencing a piece of British history and culture as well being able to enjoy our delicious menu and wide selection of cask ales, lagers, ciders, spirits and wines. During the winter, the warmth from our open fires will keep you warm and create an atmosphere which can not be recreated, and in the summer you can sit in our fantastic beer garden. Enjoying a late afternoon drink or an Al fresco meal whilst listening to the river dove trickle by. During weeknights we have our evening set menu which is 2 courses for £11.95, From 5pm. Every Wednesday is also Pie Day at The Spread Eagle, each week we offer a selection of 6 tasty pies served with a medley of vegetables and your choice of potatoes or chips. On Saturday you can treat yourself with our brilliant Steak and Supper menu, a 3 course fillet steak meal for just £25. We also have a children's menu for the little ones in your party as well providing superb Sunday roasts, every Sunday. We're looking forward to seeing you, from everyone at The Spread Eagle.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We visited the Spread Eagle last night 14th June. as a party of six, we ordered as a starter tear and share garlic bread and one breads and oils, had to wait a while for this to be served, waitress asked if we would like some small plates, she then went to get six plates for us, when she came back she said sorry we only have 2 plates, we ordered various meals between us, had to wait a long while for our meal to be served, very disappointing when it did finally arrive, the burgers came with chips but no salad garnish, which we thought were quite expensive for what you got, thought presentation very poor, if the kitchen cannot provide meals that look presentable then l suggest you take less bookings so you don't have to wait over an hour for your meal, will not be visiting the Spread Eagle again and not recommend you again

2  Thank flo527
There are newer reviews for The Spread Eagle

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Back in the summer we ate here loads and was always lovely however we returned a few weeks ago and decided to have the rib eye steak - OMG was I disappointed when it came out. Literally the steak and a little pot of frozen deep fried chips oh and a slither of tomato,
I did question it and was told that is all it comes with,
The menu did state a mushroom which wasn't on but even if it was the price & 16.99 plus an extra £2 for sauce it would still be disappointing!

There menu defo needs revamping or the chef a lesson in presentation - surely adding garnish would not break the bank

1  Thank Jacey2002
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Decent food, but over priced for what you get. 10 of us on a table, 8 of which had roast dinners on the sunday menu. Only 4 parsnips between 8, and we then had to ask for more, which admittedly was given to us. A long time for dessert menu to be provided (around an hour) and just essentially under staffed for decent service. Veg took around 10 mins to come out so meat was cold and very expensive I thought! 2 Roast dinners, a beer and glass of wine, 2 deserts and bread came to £43! Decent location with nice feel to place. Wouldn't eat there again most probably.

1  Thank ki&mandy
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Nice pub nice setting good choice of menu, service a little slow but it was rammed and on a Saturday night

1  Thank TheBigDeeee
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I dropped into the Spread Eagle today (a quiet weekday lunchtime) with my wife for a beer and a bite to eat. When I got to the bar there was no one serving and just one member of restaurant staff with his back to me entering something on a computer. After a minute or so I asked if anyone was serving, and not even looking up from his computer he mumbled that he'd come over in a bit and just continued faffing around with the computer screen. I carried on waiting for a a bit longer before finally gaving up and walking away. I understand the way the Spread Eagle works is to keep staffing levels really tight to maximise profits for Vintage Inns (all perfectly understandable) and that the member of staff was probably busy changing an order or something for some other customers, but what really got on my nerves is that he felt it was perfectly OK to just ignore a customer and continue with some internal admin task without event the briefest greeting, eye contact, or apology for the delay. Just the back of his head and a mumbled reply! I stopped using the Spread Eagle a few years ago because it seemed I was getting low grade canteen food and service but at restaurant prices. From what I saw today nothing has changed and I won't be going back in a hurry. The Bull at Shenstone is also a Vintage Inn but seems to have much better customer service, so why can't they get it right in Rolleston too??