“Hidden Gem off the beaten Track”

and 1 more site!
The Shoulder of Mutton Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Rugeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Something of a rarity these days, the Shoulder of Mutton is a genuine village pub that hasn't been spoiled by being 'bistro-ised' or turned into a plastic 'two-for-one' chain. Set in a very quiet rural location, about 5 miles from Lichfield and Rugeley, you are still well within striking distance of Alton Towers should you really need a 'fix' of the hurly-burly,

My own room was up in the eaves but, despite that, was more than spacious enough for me, and there was plenty of headroom, even though I'm six-foot plus. The others rooms I peeked into (as you do) seemed all to be similarly spacious; which is not always what you get in a building like this, which has a bit of 'character'.

I only dined there on my last night. The menu was surprisingly varied and the lasagne I chose was top notch, with generous portions. It certainly looked and tasted 'fait maison' and - dare I say it - was better than my own home-made.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank David L

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Four of us travelled for a long fishing weekend stay with the fishing pools just around the corner and were not disappointed, the Pub is FANTASTIC !. The food is 1st class and even things that were not on the menu we just asked and the same evening it was there. Andrea and Chris are great with Andrea doing a fantastic breakfast and Chris(Jamie Oliver) cooking 1st class evening meals. The two of them gel well and are lovely all round hosts, we will be returning and a BIG THANK-YOU again, hope to see you both again soon, regards Martin, James, Colin & Mark.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Blythe theme room and it was fantastic
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank martin c
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Have been using the Shoulder for several years now. Just started with the wife and myself now it's the whole family, 16 and still growing. Problem we are facing is the size of the restaurant although Andrea assures me they are looking into it. The Sunday Menu ,3 course, is unbelievable value and very varied for all tastes. Everything is cooked fresh and with excellent service. It is very difficult to eat all that is served, the quantity and quality are first class. Recently held my 65th there and had excellent time. Good drop of "Pedi" to help along the way. Family get together again in May with another addition to numbers. Can't wait

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Miff968
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed over night here loved it great room . Evening meal excellent filling and great value staff very accommodating and friendly . Breakfast was excellent . Totally enjoyable experience and will defiantly will return

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We have just spent 4 days at Blythe Farm caravan site and just around the corner discovered the Shoulder Of Mutton Pub.

Extremely friendly village and we were made to feel most welcome. We had a fantastic meal there last night. Hubby had a huge sirloin with all the trimmings and I chose chicken wrapped in goats cheese and bacon with a mushroom sauce. The home-made big chips were to die for! We were so full, we couldn`t manage a sweet.

Hopefully we will be going again before long. Well done!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LynStaffordshire
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugeley
Premier Inn Rugeley Hotel
#2 of 2 in Abbots Bromley
Travelodge Rugeley
Travelodge Rugeley
#2 of 3 in Rugeley

Been to The Shoulder of Mutton Inn? Share your experiences!