“New Years Eve Gala Buffet 2011”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Booked for New Year back in July 2011. At time of booking was explained that the evening would consist of sit down meal with Buffet Main, plus live Entertainment and Disco. The rooms are tired and dated with the Bathroom paint peeling and blistered. Overall though the rooms where comfy. On arrival at the Gala the room was decorated ok not out of this world as with some functions we have been to in the past but ok. The food was excellent and enjoyed by all in the party, then everything went down hill from there. The live entertainment was dreadfull one man and his sound system singing swing and sixties. This may be ok if your of a certain age but as the evening consisted of a mixture of ages this was unacceptable. He created no atmosphere to the point when people are choosing to leave the function and sit in the bar untill he had finished. At this point we found out that the same guy was booked for the previous year and people left the function untill he had finished then also. I approached the manager who listened to my complaint as family had travelled over 300 mile and we paid near £200 per couple to listen to a second rate pub singer who wouldn't cost the rates that where being charged for the evening. The manager apologised for the fact that the evening hadn't matched our expectations. But to our horror on returning to the function the manager was sat with the singer enjoying his evening and then the entertainer then got back up to do another session. He sang right up to 11.50pm then a disco took over to see in the new year, the only problem was that the dj missed the new year no countdown or chimes just a "oh by the way its new year". This was in a way comical as everyone froze in disbelief as this was the main reason why we were there, the dj then played old disco classics and repeated some of the songs he played only 10mins before this finally cleared the dance floor.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
OHIML, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2012

I have been very concerned to read of your comments and would again offer my genuine apologies that the evening was not to your expectations. I can assure you that I have taken your comments on board, as I did on the evening we spoke. Please be assured that we do take all guest feedback seriously and ensure that appropriate action is taken. To this end your comments have been forwarded to the entertainment company who assisted us that evening.
In appreciation of your comments may I note that this particular act has been very popular with our guests in previous years and had great rapport with the DJ on the night. Following our conversation on the night it was my intention to redistribute the time slots of the act so that a greater time period was available for the DJ. I further communicated this with the act and also asked the DJ to intervene. It was noted during the second slot that many guests were dancing on the dance floor, and this I believe allowed for his time extension.
I can assure you that each year we endeavour to put forward a gala evening that has great atmosphere, good food, and entertainment and all at great value. Your kind comments regarding the food were greatly appreciated.

Reviewed 15 November 2011

The first thing I will say is that the main photo used to promote this hotel is nothing like the real thing. It looks like a nice country house. Its a big hotel in a business park. The picture must be of the back in the garden. A bit misleading! Staff were very helpful (apart from the pool attendent who looked like he'd rather be at home on the x box). The room was fault less. But a tip- ask for garden view. We were over looking the car park. We booked the dinner bed and brreakfast option. I think if you pay seperately 3 course dinner is about £22.95 per head. I would still not be happy to pay £18.00 per head. Some courses were ok. My partners starter was fine. I had what turned out to be about 4 mushrooms on a slice of garlic bread from a baguette. The mains were fine, which is what saved the meal. Puddings were not good. Stodgy crumble and the tiniest slice of strudel which could be eaten in 2 mouthfulls. It was called something like puff pastry slice with cherrys. And they brought carton cream. Yuk! Breakfast was ok, a bit rushed and juices weren't filled often enough. At breakfast and dinner there was no one to greet us at the entrance so it was a bit of an awkward walk around to ask for a table. The leisure area was strange. We only used the swimming pool which was small in a conservatory like structure. 2 people could swim lengths next to each other but no more. The changing rooms were cold, horrible plastic mats, talc and hair everywhere, especially in the shower cubicle. No locks on the lockers. All in all it was ok, if a few improvements were made it would be better. i wouldn't go back as it is or recommend to a friend. would be ok for one night.

Room Tip: ask for garden view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lucky_claire
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We had to go up stairs, around a corner, down stairs, around another corner and down yet more stairs and then through a second door just to get to our room.

This is rather inappropriate for somebody who is less able bodied.

Also we tried to get a meal in the early afternoon, but the restaurant was taken up by a wedding party, so we were only offered a sandwich from the bar.

As we had travelled for over 15 hours in total, this was not good service on the hotels part.

Not worth £60 per night.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I booked this hotel as part of business trip with overseas guests of my company; the first impressions are good. Our reception was marred by a overbooking situation - but I have to say this was resolved amicably. Whilst I agree with other reviewers the hotel does need investment to raise the standards, some aspects of the rooms are tired and perhaps a little more diligent cleaning in the bathrooms would achieve this with no additional costs. (They were not dirty bathrooms just lacking TLC) We only had breakfast which was hot, served quickly and tasty.
The location is good, and car park adequate with disabled bays close to reception. The gym is very small and a pool is provided. The building has some great period features, but with those comes the age of the property and inherent problems they bring.

I have raised my concerns with the GM of the hotel, he responded in a positive tone and suggested I should have contacted him during my stay ( Due to work commitments I could not do this)
If you decide to stay here; consider what is good value and speak to Mike Hewitt if you have concerns. I wish this hotel well and hope the team there pull together and raise their game with some TLC of a great British Country House.

Room Tip: If the hotel is not full, ask to see a couple and choose one that suits you.
2  Thank John J
Reviewed 22 October 2011

rooms very poor hotel looks good when you pull up and go in but then it goes down hill fast if you can get in the car park and meals are a big rip off £10 for a small burger

Room Tip: don't stay
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I would seriously question as to how old the images on their website are as they bear no resemblance to what the hotel looks like in reality.

Carpets full of holes which are covered in some heavy black tape, many of the floor boards are also very weak so that you feel you could almost put your foot through the floor (I am 10 stone - God only knows what would happen if a large person stood on the same flooring!) Cleaners have the awful habit of throwing the dirty laundry on the carpet outside the rooms so that you have to do the slalom run between them en route down the corridor - difficult when you are trying to wheel a large suitcase.

The original section of the house has potential as there are some nice old features but this is a hotel which has seen no investment in years. They know you have a captive audience as there is a lack of hotels in the area but there is no justification as to the poor condition of the hotel.

Wine served in bar is vile, cheap and nasty.

Receptionist on arrival and the lady in the evening were both good, but manager was like the scarlet pimpernel i.e. nowhere to be seen.

Room Tip: Book elsewhere if possible!
Reviewed 26 September 2011

We stayed here in a large family group of 11, although our rooms were maybe a little tired they were clean and servicable. We ate off the bar menu and the restaurant staff very kindly let us sit in the dinning room the food was of a good standard. The winner for us was the swimming pool again it was very clean. Overall we would stay again maybe just for one or two nights as a stopover.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Days Inn Stafford
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Travelodge Stafford M6
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!