“Terrible, disturbing and never again”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed 6 November 2013

What was meant to be a two night business trip turned out to be one night and 3 room changes. Arrived to find a very tired and dated hotel, how the site can call it elegantly restored I have no idea.
Checked into the first room on ground floor which was very sad looking and dull with a extremely damp smell, asked to be moved due to the smell and this was done. The second room looked better even with the torn sofa but at 21:30 in the evening I experienced the noise of what sounded like rats in the ceiling trying to scratch their way through. There was no way I was going to tolerate this so went to reception and a member of staff followed me to my room to listen to the noise. He agreed that this was not acceptable and changed rooms for the third time which unfortunately was only to a twin outdated room.
After a very ordinary breakfast I checked out a day early and was still charged the full rate even after my experience, terrible experience which I and my company will never use again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay with us was not to your expectations, nor indeed to that which we would aspire to. Far from it. I would gladly have listened to your concerns and comments before your departure.
However I can assure you that further to your experience a full investigation has taken place - which has revealed no further undue activity whatsoever. However we shall continue monitor the situation going forward.
I do appreciate guest feedback and where ever possible and within our means we shall continue to manage our standards to the best of our ability. I can only apologise that something out of our control, on this occasion further marred your stay with us.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We arrived at 945pm and check in was easy and straight forward. It's over 2 floors so no lifts to get suitcases up. First thought was there was an overpowering smell from the hallway which got worse when we got into our room. We must've got used to it because after a couple of mins we didn't notice it anymore until we went out and back in again. The room itself was fine, the bed and pillows were great. Nice wee TV. The bathroom was a let down. The floor needed ripped up, and grouting redone. The toiled also had staining round it. I'm being picky but I'm only pointing it out as it's supposed to be 3 star. Perhaps once it was, but I reckon it's more 2 star now. The bar and restaraunt area were lovely. Breakfast awful, cheap cheap cheap as they can make it, but the evenings meals were lovely and not overpriced.
I wouldn't return as we were visiting Alton Towers and it was a nightmare to get to from here despite only being 15 miles away.

Room Tip: We had room 52
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your appraisal of your stay at the Staone House Hotel. Please accept my apologies that certain aspects were not to the standard that you expected, nor indeed to that which we aspire to. i appreciate that in certain areas the Hotel does appear tired, but in terms of presentation, customer service, cleanliness, and the quality of food I do believe we can and do provide the right level of service for our customers. I cetainly take on board your comments and will ensure those are actioned to the best of our ability and means.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here two nights on business. The room was nice and a fair size. We used the pool which is small but adequate. The gym is also very small but useful. We had breakfast & dinner included in our rate. Breakfast was good quality with a nice choice of hot items. Dinner was a 3 course menu with choices for each course and a set price of £25 per head. We thought the food was good but quite overpriced compared to what you can get elsewhere. The lady on reception was very nice & friendly. The Manager was helpfull. The only problem we encountered was the attitude of one of the waiting staff in the evening. Overall a good stay but I would go out to eat in future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review as posted on TripAdvisor. my apologies that one of my team members was less than accommodating and this aspect will be added to further staff training. Please also be advised that we have a NEW HEAD CHEF, and look forward to welcoming all to the restuarant to dine with us and experience his quality and presentation.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed with colleagues and wasn't too sure what to expect but it was really good Staff attentive Food above usual quality Breakfast served so it was a lovely start to the day Be warned they can over do the toast one of my colleagues was brought 5 slices in total with a cooked meal evening meal was well prepared and served really quickly

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review as posted on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us.
Mike

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have stayed here many times over the last 15 years the manager and staff are always very helpful, hotel is clean and very convenient well price and serves breakfast at the table not a stale buffet, nice bar menu as well as a good restaurant ,some rooms need updating but all adequate

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank barry n
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent stay at the Stone House Hotel. Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Stayed whilst visiting friends in the area and found it a very pleasant and reasonably priced place to stay. Rooms were clean and tidy, staff were pleasant and helpful, breakfast was good and my only slight criticism was lack of sufficient bar staff when the bar area was busy.

Room Tip: Book as early as possible.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Steven S
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

Thank you for your kind and honest comments regarding your recent stay at the Stone House Hotel. Your comments regarding the Bar Staff attendance has been forwarded to my operations manager for further review and action.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

We used the hotel for an evening meal, we had paid for a voucher entitling us to a 2 course meal with a glass of wine.
The evening started well as we sat in the lounge for a pre dinner drink, the menu was presented and we asked for help as my husband is coeliac. He was very helpful and went to ask the chef. Choice made my husband asked about making a sauce/gravy to accompany the meal.....the man went away and came back with a jar of BIsto in his hand!! not quite what I expected in a supposed high class establishment.
Once the table was ready we were asked to go through to the dining room, not shown to the table but told " it's over there" again not what I expected.
The food was basic hotel food and I was glad we weren't paying the prices on the menu or I would have been very disappointed.
Overall, worth what we paid , but the staff do need a little more training in the art of guest relations,.Oh and dump the Bisto!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

I am extremely embarrassed that you were indeed shown a jar of Gluten Free Gravy - not indeed what anybody would wish to see or expect. All your comments have been noted and forwarded to my Operations Manager to ensure that further training and guidance is provided. i sincerely hope your next visit will ensure you of a decent dining experience.
kind regards
MikeH

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Best Western Stafford M6/J14 Tillington Hall Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
Holiday Inn Stoke on Trent M6
#4 of 5 in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!