“Fantastic, Underappreciated”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed 14 November 2013

From checking in to checking out, it was a smooth process. The staff are brilliant and really make you feel welcome and at home. My partner and I were celebrating his birthday and we were very kindly upgraded to the four poster room (it is a creaky room) but an old building adds to the visage.
The pool and sauna we had to ourselves for a few hours which was lovely.
We also had dinner at the hotel and I have never felt so full, recommendations to the chef who was on his second night there. The gentlemen who served us deserve a thank you too, one was also on breakfast the next morning.
Breakfast was filling ( I was still stuffed from the night before)
I have not got one bad word to say.
Thank you to all the staff, you made our time away brilliant. And please don't listen to the bad reviews.
Sarah

Room Tip: Don't listen to the bad reviews.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Thank you for your very kind review of your recent stay at the Stone House Hotel. Your comments have been posted on the staff notice board, thank you.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

My partner and I had previously booked a room at a different hotel only to turn up and find it was closed down. We searched for nearby hotels and came across The Stone House Hotel. We arrived on the evening to be greeted by two lovely receptionists. We explained our situation and they sorted us a room straight away, Check in was quick and easy. On entering our room which was lovely and warm and very clean, we noticed a great sized bathroom and a gorgeous double bed. Having being saddened that we had to change hotels, this exceeded our expectations. We ate in the bar area and has breakfast in the restaurant. Our food over the two days was tasty, hot and presented well. We did have a slight issue in our room as the hot water had stopped working but it was resolved quickly. The only let down was very creaky floorboards on the particular floor we stayed on. We will be returning next June for another weekend away but we would love to stay in one of the garden rooms or even the bridal suite as we will be getting hitched 6 months later. Thank you to all the staff who were very friendly.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your kind review. I am extremely pleased that my team were able to assist you. Please call direct when you would like to stay here again, and hopefully we will be able to provide you with the room of your choice.
Mikeh

Reviewed 6 November 2013

What was meant to be a two night business trip turned out to be one night and 3 room changes. Arrived to find a very tired and dated hotel, how the site can call it elegantly restored I have no idea.
Checked into the first room on ground floor which was very sad looking and dull with a extremely damp smell, asked to be moved due to the smell and this was done. The second room looked better even with the torn sofa but at 21:30 in the evening I experienced the noise of what sounded like rats in the ceiling trying to scratch their way through. There was no way I was going to tolerate this so went to reception and a member of staff followed me to my room to listen to the noise. He agreed that this was not acceptable and changed rooms for the third time which unfortunately was only to a twin outdated room.
After a very ordinary breakfast I checked out a day early and was still charged the full rate even after my experience, terrible experience which I and my company will never use again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Please accept my sincere apologies that your stay with us was not to your expectations, nor indeed to that which we would aspire to. Far from it. I would gladly have listened to your concerns and comments before your departure.
However I can assure you that further to your experience a full investigation has taken place - which has revealed no further undue activity whatsoever. However we shall continue monitor the situation going forward.
I do appreciate guest feedback and where ever possible and within our means we shall continue to manage our standards to the best of our ability. I can only apologise that something out of our control, on this occasion further marred your stay with us.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

We arrived at 945pm and check in was easy and straight forward. It's over 2 floors so no lifts to get suitcases up. First thought was there was an overpowering smell from the hallway which got worse when we got into our room. We must've got used to it because after a couple of mins we didn't notice it anymore until we went out and back in again. The room itself was fine, the bed and pillows were great. Nice wee TV. The bathroom was a let down. The floor needed ripped up, and grouting redone. The toiled also had staining round it. I'm being picky but I'm only pointing it out as it's supposed to be 3 star. Perhaps once it was, but I reckon it's more 2 star now. The bar and restaraunt area were lovely. Breakfast awful, cheap cheap cheap as they can make it, but the evenings meals were lovely and not overpriced.
I wouldn't return as we were visiting Alton Towers and it was a nightmare to get to from here despite only being 15 miles away.

Room Tip: We had room 52
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your appraisal of your stay at the Staone House Hotel. Please accept my apologies that certain aspects were not to the standard that you expected, nor indeed to that which we aspire to. i appreciate that in certain areas the Hotel does appear tired, but in terms of presentation, customer service, cleanliness, and the quality of food I do believe we can and do provide the right level of service for our customers. I cetainly take on board your comments and will ensure those are actioned to the best of our ability and means.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

Stayed here two nights on business. The room was nice and a fair size. We used the pool which is small but adequate. The gym is also very small but useful. We had breakfast & dinner included in our rate. Breakfast was good quality with a nice choice of hot items. Dinner was a 3 course menu with choices for each course and a set price of £25 per head. We thought the food was good but quite overpriced compared to what you can get elsewhere. The lady on reception was very nice & friendly. The Manager was helpfull. The only problem we encountered was the attitude of one of the waiting staff in the evening. Overall a good stay but I would go out to eat in future.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review as posted on TripAdvisor. my apologies that one of my team members was less than accommodating and this aspect will be added to further staff training. Please also be advised that we have a NEW HEAD CHEF, and look forward to welcoming all to the restuarant to dine with us and experience his quality and presentation.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed with colleagues and wasn't too sure what to expect but it was really good Staff attentive Food above usual quality Breakfast served so it was a lovely start to the day Be warned they can over do the toast one of my colleagues was brought 5 slices in total with a cooked meal evening meal was well prepared and served really quickly

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind review as posted on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us.
Mike

Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have stayed here many times over the last 15 years the manager and staff are always very helpful, hotel is clean and very convenient well price and serves breakfast at the table not a stale buffet, nice bar menu as well as a good restaurant ,some rooms need updating but all adequate

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank barry n
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent stay at the Stone House Hotel. Your comments are much appreciated. Thank you
MikeH

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent
Days Inn Stafford
Days Inn Stafford
#3 of 5 in Stone
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent
Holiday Inn Express Stoke-on-Trent
Best Western Plus Stoke-On-Trent Moat House
Travelodge Stafford M6

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!