“The Old Coaching House”
Review of Stone House Hotel

Stone House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We stayed at this former coaching house to break our journey from Devon to Cumbria.
It is very convenient to the M6 being between Jn 14 and Jn15. It is situated at a quiet spot on the outskirts of Stone, which in itself is an interesting town.
The welcome we had was very good. The room we had was at the end of a "rabbit warren" but immediately help was offered to get our baggage to the room. The room had its own little garden with table and chairs. The room was very comfortable, clean and provided with toiletries and coffee/ tea making facilities.
The breakfast was excellent. For evening meals,the restaurant was very good but a little pricey.
We did not use the pool or sports facilities. They looked good from the outside.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the front (32-38) are easy to access, but do face the car park. The rooms toward th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Thank you for your positive review as noted on TripAdvisor. We do appreciate your comments and feedback.
MikeH

Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Warm and friendly staff. Beautiful room although it could do with a referb in places but it doesn't detract from its appeal. Breakfast was excellent. Very good sausage and black pudding. The poached eggs were perfect. I was delivered a burnt croissant but when asked if I could have a non burnt one it was taken away immediately and replaced with an apology. Would have been better if it hadn't left the kitchen. A small mishap. Top tip, the chairs are too big in the bedroom. They take up too much space by the bed. A lovely stop over. Would definitely come again.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you very much for your very kind and positive comments. This is very much appreciated. Your suggestions, and comments have been noted.
MikeH

Reviewed 22 July 2014

we stayed here as a large party last weekend for our Sons graduation at Trentham Gardens. It was a hot day and night, which made the rooms very hot and you could not open the windows as safety catch on it, we asked about having a fan in the room but were told no as hotel policy was no fans due to health & safety yet later on that night we saw a member of the leisure team leaving work carrying a fan with him. The plumbing in the rooms is appalling - showers either boiling hot or freeing cold there is no medium, my dad turned on cold tap and burnt his finger on the 'hot' water coming out. We booked a table for lunch time in the restuarant - service was excellent the young lady who served us was polite, friendly and very good however the food let it down, mum and dad ordered the Lamb shank at £13 it came and the Lamb shank was all bone with a very small amount of meat around it. My Dad wanted cheese and biscuits to be told sorry there was nothing in the hotel, later that evening we heard someone else ask for the same to be told there was cheese but no biscuits. We came down to the bar in the evening and decided to have a bar snack - the tables in the bar were dirty and full of glasses we asked several times for them to be cleaned to no avail so cleaned them ourselves. I asked for a wine list to be told no sorry there was no wine list due to swapping over wine?? we ordered sandwiches mum and I wanted egg mayo and were told sorry hotel had no eggs??? which started a discussion as to what would happen at breakfast with no eggs, I have never heard of a hotel running out of eggs. As we were eating the door opened and the leisure guy came clattering through with a large wheelie bin - having worked in leisure I knew it was towels but to anyone else it looked liked rubbish, it made such a racket and there was no need for him to come through the bar as could have gone around outside it was just being lazy. Breakfast was first class and was cooked to order and very hot and tasty and yes there was eggs!! we did explain our concerns to recepition the lady who was very helpful said our complaint would be passed on to the duty manager and the manager and they would call me - I have as yet not received any call. For a bespoke hotel it was not a good stay - certain staff were fantastic but I will not be staying there again and definatly will not be recommending the hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms in the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent experience at the Stone House Hotel. Thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff at the Hotel, this is much appreciated.
I am extremely diapointed to have read your further comments and the points that you have raised, for which I sincerely apologise. I would gladly have sat down with you and discussed these at the time.
I note your comments and have discussed these with the relevant Heads of Departments responsibl;e for ensuring the smooth operational aspect of the Hotel. I personally see no reason why the majority of your comments could not be managed and rectified given the right guidance and further training.
Thank you for your appraisal and feedback, as it is through such that we can continually monitor, maintain and indeed improve the standard of service we offer. I sincerely hope that future customers will see the improvements as a result.
Mike H

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed here on the eve of our son's graduation. Our request for a treat for our son was dealt with by the staff who put a cake in the room for him. Thank you. The hotel was convenient for Trentham Gardens with ample parking spaces. The check in was smooth and the room ideal for our needs. We were encouraged to eat in the restaurant and were very satisfied with our meals. Breakfast was good if a little slow in being served. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room was in a quiet spot - room 46
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write of your comments on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased your son's Graduation went well, and that this was complimented by a relaxed over night stay here. We wish you all well for the future. Kind regards. MikeH

Reviewed 16 July 2014

We have just had a superb wedding for my son and his new wife at The Stone House. Cannot fault the attention to detail and pleasant friendly staff. Had plenty of good food, both at the wedding breakfast and the evening reception. Our family (even though most live within a few miles of the hotel) and friends took over a large proportion of the bedrooms and stayed. In the morning we all ate a good well presented hearty breakfasts. All our rooms were well presented, very clean and both the room and linen smelled fresh with very comfortable mattresses, we all slept well. Its a very pleasant and homely hotel with a feeling of being in the country. It has a magical garden area where we sat and enjoyed our pimms and the children expelled some of there pent up energy after the ceremony. It gave the photographer time to take some amazing photos. I would definitely. recommend The Stone House for a Family Wedding. We used our own vintage cars and were safe in the knowledge that the cars were covered by security cctv overnight. Good value for money.

Room Tip: We were in the new anex. It was pretty quiet there , but I would imagine in the main building with...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your very kind comments. We are so pleased the whole day went extremely well, and that all guests enjoyed there time here. What a lovely day it was. thank you and Kind regards. MikeH

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Checked in this hotel to get a rest for the night before a big exam. It was terrible, old outdated and filthy. There was a wedding party in the hotel that night which I was not made aware of before I checked in. I'm no party spoiler but the noise was terrible. On calling the receptionist and informing her she was rude and abrupt she informed me the wedding party was all over the hotel and the noise would be all night. So I checked out. The most amazing thing about it was I only got £15.00 refunded!!! It took the manager three weeks to reply to my complaint and completely avoided the idea of a refund. This is a hell hole stay well away

• Stayed: June 2014
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I do apologise that you feel the way you do, However this matter was already been discussed at the time and again several weeks ago. I am sorry you feel disgruntled, and I hope that by so writing you feel that you have vented your anger because you did not receive a full refund. Sometimes in life we do not always get what we want. However, we should gracefully accept and move on to the next stage in our lives. I do sincerely wish you well for the future. Kind regards. MikeH

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife organised a surprise birthday for my 60th. She was helped by Kimberley who was outstanding. We were allowed to use the restaurant area and gardens as we had a number of family and grandchildren. The staff could not have been better, they were fantastic. The food was excellent with an enormous and tasty buffet. We also had a tab at the bar which worked extremely well. All in all we could not fault the venue, it was brilliant. A big thank you to all the staff there, especially Kimberley!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank hortonkirbyboy
Mike H, General Manager at Stone House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write of your recent event here at the Stone House Hotel. We are extremely pleased that all went well for the 60th Birthday event, and that this was enjoyed by all. I shall pass on your comments to Kimberely - she is one of our stars!. Thank you and kind regards. MikeH

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Days Inn Stafford
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13
Travelodge Stoke on Trent Trentham
17 mi away
Hilton at St George's Park, Burton upon Trent

Been to Stone House Hotel? Share your experiences!