“The Cold Shoulder”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed 8 April 2013

A local band put on a fund raising event at The Crown Hotel to swell the coffers of the music festival held in the town. We invited some friends and looked forward to a good evening out.
The 'gig' was held in the function room of a hotel designed by Henry Holland - how could it fail? Spectacularly !
The room is at the top of two flights of stairs (no disabled access),it was cold (no heating and zero degrees C. outside),the toilets were back down the two flights of stairs and the adjacent bar was closed.
In order to get our drinks we had to descend the stairs,follow a corridor to the reception,circumnavigate said reception and enter the front (very public) bar. There we waited,being subjected to an overly loud wall mounted tv,until the person working on reception was free to serve . On occasion,said receptionist/bar person was assisted by a waitress from the restaurant who was looking for a way to pass the time.
This is a hotel. A place to eat,drink and sleep. I have previously commented on the restaurant and have never stayed the night but I can record my disdain at a hotel in Britain in the year 2013 serving creamflow/keg beer and offering nothing as an alternative. In fact the range of drinks available was very poor.
This hotel needs to be taken over by people who would recognise its heritage and modernise it sympathetically whilst retaining what is left of its original charm. People who have respect and regard for their clientele. People who have a clue !

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Golani49
There are newer reviews for The Crown Hotel

Reviewed 3 April 2013

The hotel is a lovely building that is in need of some TLC. The wood paneling in the lounge and the wood burner was a very warming sight. The only downside was the receptionist, she not very forthcoming with information and was abrupt.

The breakfast was okay toast was cold and once the jug of orange juice ran out it was not replenished.

Room Tip: Room 1 was over the top of a Mexican restaurant so make sure this room is not allocated to yourselve...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 February 2013

On the high street with the car park accessed from the rear off the one way system. You can eat in the bar or the large dining room, which seemed to reflect bygone days when this must have been the best place for miles around.
The rooms were modern, clean and very comfortable. My only disappointment being that I could not actually see out of my window.
Good pub food in the evening and a great British breakfast.

Reviewed 18 February 2013

I thought the Crown Hotel might be a good place to pass time before a business meeting - great picture on the Internet and right in the heart of Stone. They seem to specialise in weddings £2012 for 50 guests in 2012. Doesn't say what it costs in 2013 but for a honeymoon hotel I saw only one couple eating in a lonely fashion in the dining room. Busines done I thought it would be a good place to return to and call for a taxi. Now you'd think that a town centre hotel would have a service level agreement with a taxi firm and that it would take only a few minutes for one to arrive. You'd be wrong. I waited an hour even though I was going to spend about £20 getting to Stoke on Trent railway station. I was still cursing the Crown Hotel under my breath when I got back to Euston at 11 p.m. on a Friday night.

1  Thank JohnnyMagnificent
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I was stranded in Stone for the evening, and despite my concerns with the appearance of the Hotel from the outside, I must admit - what a wonderful nights stay I had! Really charming building with lots of character. Yes it is a tad dowdy now.. but it must have been a wonderful place once. Couldnt fault the staff, at all (what a relief after the day I had had!) I had a problem with hot water in the first room I was allocated but the lovely lady with red hair on reception soon sorted it out (sorry I didnt catch her name!) When reading the reviews on this site I think that the price and location must be remembered before complaining too strongly! will be returning, this time for pleasure as I would love to try out the Mexican too!

Room Tip: The room I had (6) in the old bit was lovely!
Reviewed 12 February 2013

Where to start . In truth this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The room which was in the lodge smelled fusty. The whole place is 5 years beyond tired. The bed was just like sleeping on upturned egg boxes, I counted every one of the springs I had laid on by the imprints in my back!
The shower was ( I imagine ) similar to being urinated on by a wasp. The rooms had been given a furnishing makeover but as the old saying goes you can't polish a @@@@. The bar was full of the local waifs and strays and to access the toilet there was a four digit security code administered by the barman. One of my pet hates was the multitude of poorly worded self created signage that seemed to adorn every corner of the hotel and warn you of things that you should or shouldn't do.

On check out the receptionist failed to ask about my stay as the look on my face surely gave her the feedback that she may have not wanted. Will not be staying again.

1  Thank a13kjy
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Just had two nights at the CrownHotel ,Stone
Very warm welcome , ate in the hotel Saturday night , really good meal very good value food and wine , nice atmosphere , staff were great , lovely breakfast
Room was clean and nicely decorated we were in main part of hotel ,refurbished room and very comfortable
All the staff we met were very helpful ,will come back in the summer

Room Tip: In main part not in the lodge, so could not report on rooms I the lodge
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Stone House Hotel
Best Western Stoke East
Best Western Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!