“Disappointed!”
Review of The Crown Hotel

The Crown Hotel
Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, apart from 1 male the reception staff were miserable & rude. When I arrived at the hotel I passed what turned out to be the receptionist outside smoking, it was obvious I was a guest as had luggage with me, however I was stood waiting at the desk for ages until she turned up, clearly she took her time & finished her cigarette before bothering to attend to me! Very dry lady, made no attempt to welcome me or be polite. The room was clean but absolutely boiling hot which was awful during the night. The windows were not secure in the bathroom or the bedroom. The breakfast staff were lovely, cannot fault them & the breakfast was cooked well & tasted nice. I feel that for the rate I paid I would have expected more professionalism. What a same that as soon as I arrived I was disappointed. As a frequent visitor to the town I will not stay again or recommend. Cannot stand bad customer service.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Joannedec23

Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as part of a wowcher deal. Yes, the room could have been nicer but the staff have all been so friendly and the restaurant food is unbelievable for the price. 3 courses for £12.50 and it was as good as meals costing 3 times as much. Would highly recommend based on the staff, vibe and amazing restaurant

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We got this as a deal from Wowcher so considering we didn't pay much we can't really complain. This hotel is obviously struggling and in need of a refurb, as they're advertising this offer you would think they would focus on the little things that don't cost. Windows were filthy, bedroom mirror needed a clean, bed valance was stained, telephone dirty, tea cups and stand dirty.
Had to put up with a very loud extractor fan going off all through thenight every ten minutes.
Staff constantly smoking outside guest entrances - perhaps a discreet private area could be allocated as not a good advert!
The breakfast was ok but think we got there at the right time as the anemic cheap sausages came out after.
For what we paid I can't really grumble but if they're trying to drum up new business maybe use this review to improve.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 15 June 2013

We stayed for one night 10th june. Due to age of hotel you expect some faults but there are far too many to list. Many other reviews cover most issues . Very outdated and needs alot of tlc. The hotel has so much to offer if it was given the chance. Can not fault the staff or the food if it was not for them the review would of been terrible.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We didn't stay in the hotel but came to the restaurant for lunch with family. The food was great value for money and very tasty. I had a main (steak & mushroom pie with chips) and pudding (crumble and custard). Both servings were large and the food was just like it had been made at home, the meat in the pie was so tender it fell apart on the fork. We came on a busy Thursday but the service was quick and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed here for a night on a stop over to Bristol. The hotel is 5-10mins from M6 which is why we picked this location. We were very pleasantly surprised, the room was ample although in need of a lick of paint as was the main building. The dining room has many of the original features and the whole building has so much history going back to 1600s. The staff were very friendly and helpful, I had accidentally booked the wrong night and they rectified without a problem or any extra charges. We had dinner in the mexican restaurant which is newly opened within the hotel, mexican not being my first choice of dining I was not expecting much ! The food was fantastic, best mexican food I had ever tasted and I would make the trip to Stone again just for this.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2013

stayed at the crown 2 nights ,Hotel was pretty run down ,cracks n paint peeling n damp in a lot of places, room was ok , bathroom pretty shabby and could have done with a good clean,and paint, staff at breakfast were not welcoming or very interested , the girl on the reception when we arrived was very pleasant and welcoming (a credit to the hotel) upon leaving the deputy managaress was desperatly needing a crash course on customer service and how to speak to customers, that was after she tried to charge me full price for the night s when it was clearly marked down in front of her i had booked on a special offer and the price, she couldnt understand where her staff had got the price from so she started making figures up in her head which she was going to charge me, a quick simple maths lesson here for her (£70.00 for room, 2nd night half price £35.00) = £105.00 - she couldnt undestand how they came to this figure and was attempting to charge me £142.00, the £138.00 the figures didnt make any sense anyway , her manner left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
1 mi away
The Swan Hotel
#5 of 11 in Stafford
Premier Inn Stoke/Trentham Gardens Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Stafford M6 Jct. 13

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!