“Better than Expected”

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Stone
Grimsby, United Kingdom
“Better than Expected”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

From reading reviews I was a little concerned after booking but location was perfect for us so took the chance. Yes the hotel is a little tired... they are in the process of updating this; but the room we had was clean and tidy with a comfortable bed. The only downside was how hot it was in the room (a little out of the hotels control... it was an extremely warm weekend) but there was already a fan in the room for our use (as well as hairdryer/iron and ironing board). The staff were extremely helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We didn't eat in the hotel or use the bar so we can not comment on this. I can say that this is not the best hotel I have stayed in but it also certainly isn't the worst. The price, location and staff more than make up for the fact they are still in the process of bringing the hotel upto its full potential. We visit Stone on a 3 mthly basis and will certainly be using the crown again

Room Tip: We stayed in the main hotel rather than the 'Lodge' and from what local people have told me...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the lodge, in a £40 room. Corridors and bedrooms smelt musty and damp. Room appeared clean and tidy. Toilet seat was loose. Broken window, obscuring view of brick wall! Received an electric shock from the hair dryer 12 months past it's pat test. Wallpaper bubbling and coming away from the walls.The remains of half a squashed wasp was found amongst the bedding, although it was at the foot end of the bed, so
Was excusable. Good location. Rooms vary somewhat, my own room wasn't too bad. However the couples we travelled with was somewhat depressing. We stopped for a drink in the hotel bar, baileys or Brandy were the only choice of spirits on offer. Staff very friendly and helpful. Recommended by another guest not to have breakfast here! We had a comfortable stay,
Perhaps for a lesser price and with some improvements made would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank fizzybuble86

Travellers are raving about these Stone hotels

Caylus, France
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Recently reopened. Public rooms beautifully restored with panelling. But so-called deluxe bedrooms are very disappointing. Bed, all springs and no padding. Bath and shower powered by extremely noisy pump. Stained cushion on bed. Supposed 3 start hotel, but no food...and I mean no food. No restaurant, no snacks...not even crisps behind the bar! Advertises a Mexican restaurant...afraid it is an ex-Mexican..it has ceased to be. On current evidence reopened too early and overpriced. Needs a pro in to turn it round..with a bit of money and direction, and with the really friendly and helpful staff already there, it could work. Oh, and it took over 20 minutes to check in, because they couldn't find my booking...and there is ony wi-fi in the bar/lounge....and the bar closed ar 9- that's pm, not am. And the coffee in the lounge was cheap instant.

Room Tip: On current form, don't
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank MrHard2Please
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I rear reviews before we went and cos it was the only hotel available for the night we wanted we had to go, but was I surprised the rooms had all been refurbished and very clean in my view it was well worth the money we paid (£65) would go back there again.
We did not stay for breakfast as we were leaving early.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leslie w
uk
Reviewed 30 June 2014

On June 10th I booked a double room at this hotel for the night of June 28th / 29th through agoda.com and paid £44 through PayPal. Got all the paper work and proof of payment and the Agoda Hotel Voucher to produce on arrival.
Arrived at the hotel about 7:30pm to be greeted by a young lad about to show a couple to their room, “I’ll just find out where your room is” he said to them, “its my first day, the hotels only been re-opened a week!” (Hear the alarm bells!) When he returned he took my paper work but couldn’t find the booking so said “I’ll get the manager while you park your car”

When my wife and I got to reception the manager informed us the booking had not been made as my payment had been declined, even though I queried how could this be as I had all the proper receipts from Paypal and Agoda but he wasn’t having any of it! He said he had phoned head office and Agoda and payment had definately been declined and there were no rooms available at the price I had booked! All he could do was offer me a suite at £140! And he could show us this. The room was awful, dated, a half used bottle of shower gel left in the bathroom with the lid off, dirty net curtains and mould on the window frames. The television was of the old style, a big as a tea chest with a £9.99 digi box hanging off it! When my wife said the room was unacceptable he reduced the price to £75 but this did not include breakfast! We said we would have to look elsewhere and in fairness to him he did look on websites for us. While he was doing this we phoned a friend of ours we were going to visit the next day and she managed to find someone to put us up, so we took our leave of the establishment, our last sight of it being the manager and his young assistant smoking on the front door step!

When I returned home I checked my PayPal account and the payment had definately gone through, I phoned Agoda and they were brilliant saying I should have had a room reserved for me, no one had contacted them and no payment had been declined. They gave me a full refund and a 10% discount voucher should I book through them again. If I do it certainly won’t be the Crown Hotel in Stone!

Room Tip: Don't bother!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank crinkley
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We too arrived to see the closed sign on window and after banging on the door and window we got no answer, and unfortunately we slept in the car because of the rod stewart concert and at 4 pm there were no rooms anyware imagine my delight at seeing my credit card had been charged £80 the day after our booking a month earlier faulty towers has got nothing on this place.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank David G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Booked 2 twin rooms a few weeks ago via Booking.com and obviously paid in full, total cost £120.00 (rooms only) Breakfast an extra £7.50 each paid up front if we wanted it, we declined.

When we arrived we were advised that there was only one twin room available and that they had put up a Z bed up (camp bed) in with a double bed in the other room. When we opened the door we were met with cramped conditions, unable to use the wardrobe, double bed in front of the doors, the z bed was in front of other draws that could have been used also and a 5 inch gap between the two beds to manoeuvre in.

Went back to reception to see if there would be a discount due to the fact that we did not expect to pay to sleep on a camp bed. No joy, in fact the woman on reception said we need to take it up with Booking.com, which I will. She said someone had phoned us to advise us of the problem with the room, a blatant lie, no phone call and no message left on my answering machine, they had a few weeks to inform us. I am sick and tired of getting ripped off by establishments such has this, once they have your money you can sod off.

The room that we were put in was in an annexe next door, and the room backed onto the car park and a main road which was quite noisy. This hotel is very tired and need of a total refurbishment, the staff need to get there fact's right, nothing to do with Booking.com on how the hotel is run. Needless to say we shall not be stopping at this hotel again, and I have passed this information onto family, friends and work colleagues.

Save your hard earned money and find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank chubster3756
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stone
Stone House Hotel
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
BEST WESTERN Stoke East
#7 of 12 in Stoke-on-Trent
Quality Hotel & Leisure Stoke on Trent

Been to The Crown Hotel? Share your experiences!