“The worst experience of my life”
Review of Plough & Harrow

Plough & Harrow
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
London, United Kingdom
“The worst experience of my life”
Reviewed 30 December 2012

Stay away from this place at all costs. Firstly its tiny, which I could deal with but we had drunken idiots stamping around, trying to get into our room most of the night. Worst of all at 12.30 the hotel manager let himself in to our room which was the final straw and we had to leave and find somewhere else at 1 in the morning. Our poor little girl was so scared.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Bovey Tracey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Sounds as though other people have had the unfortunate stay at the Plough and Harrow in Fazeley. Like so many others have said, you pay up front. I wonder why!!! It sounds as though room No.3 is a no go. We were shown to this room, and I was really looking forward to it, as in their website the rooms looked really countrified and clean. On opening the door, I was thrown back by the awful smell of cooking oil. They had left the window open, which unfortunately is right over the kitchen, and the extractor was belching out this horrendous smell which is engrained in the whole room. Shut the window and keep the smell in, or keep the window open to try and disperse it. Neither does any good. The don't think they know what bleach is, as inside the toilet was dark brown...most off putting. The taps dirty. Thought I would lie down and prop myself on pillows to view the television as it was so high up and small, but the pillows were so thin I gave up. Bedding was clean I must admit. There was noise until 02:00 in morning, with the clanging of utensils as they were cleaning up, and doors were constantly squeaking and banging. At 07:00 in morning we had gone. Couldnt stand anymore. Luckily we were going to see some friends and I was able to wash the smell of chip oil out of my hair. This should be made as a pub and pub only. Please avoid.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Tamworth hotels

Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

We booked the room thru a late booking website and were stung on the price!! They charge you £11 for breakfast but to buy alone is £4.50!!!
The rooms were freezing cold when we got there, I had a shower and the water was boiling hot!!!!!! The Tele was so small and far away from the bed!! I wouldn't of complained if it was £10 a night but over £50 is a joke!!!!! I'd rather pay £20 more and stay in a travel lodge!!
I would not recommend this to anyone!!!

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Check in is at the main bar, which is difficult when busy, but the staff were very polite.

Having been told the room was £40.00 for b&b we were then told we had to pay an extra £11 for the breakfast.

The room is smaller than a prison cell, no room to turn around and very dark with the blinds.

The room was also very cold and took hours to heat up with the poor electric heating system.

TV is the smallest I've ever seen and watching anything on it was very hard work.

Thankfully it didn't seem a very busy night in the main or cocktail bar so we were disturbed much by visitors. Although you can hear doors opening and closing throughout the night!

Having paid the £11 for two breakfasts we checked the menu in the morning where the actual price was £4.95. Albeit a couple of quid, this doesn't seem right.

The breakfast was nice in the main bar, again the staff were lovely. However the breakfast was the smallest 'fry up' on offer and we weren't asked what we wanted or any changes to it.

I won't be staying here again and I wouldn't recommend it too anyone else!

• Stayed September 2012
Stockton-on-Tees, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I found The Plough via a google search for somewhere close to Drayton Manor - so we could do a stopover on our way back from Cornwall. It is ideally placed for Drayton Manor, HOWEVER, book somewhere further away if you'd prefer to avoid EVERYTHING that has been previously mentioned.

I cannot say the place was dirty, as it was presented in a clean manner - we stayed in rooms 2 and 3 - however, it was rather shabby and room 3 still smells like the local chippy, on a bad day!

We were made to pay for our room on arrival, which rang alarm bells - rightly so. The breakfast isn't worth the money and we eventually got everything we ordered which was far worse than the meal we'd enjoyed the previous evening, which was more than pleasant.

I would avoid this 'hotel' too at all costs unless you're planning on a stag/hen night in the cocktail bar and need somewhere to rest your drunken head.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else......
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Stevenage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

Lets start with the good...was close to the reason why we went to Tamworth, Drayton Manor. The staff in the pub were friendly.
Now the bad...the hotel is near the bar, so if you want a quiet night, you're not going to get one. The room had big holes in the wall like they'd been a fight there at some point(after the first night they'd added some very poor pictures to cover up the biggest hole). The toilet didn't flush very well, and the shower wasn't warm unless you turn the power to dribbling.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Redcar, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Check in is at the bar which was quite full and awkward to get into when laden with cases! Room 3 noisy so we were moved without fuss to room 8. Rooms small, as are the tv's (my computer screen is bigger) and perched high up on the wall. Venetian blinds dusty,no bed side lamps or glasses in the bathroom.Although less noisy than the 1st room the noise heard from this room constantly bangin doors till 3 in the morning and what sounded like furniture removals.Not good when you have been travellling all day and a busy day ahead! Breakfast at 9 rooms vacated at 10!! Staff helpful and pleasant.Breakfast OK,tea watery actually thought there ws no tea bag in to start with.Sorry guys but there is no way I would stay here again.Oh and no one around to collect the key on departure!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple