“False advertising to the highest degree” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plough & Harrow

Plough & Harrow
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
cambridgeshire
“False advertising to the highest degree”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Having seen the beautiful rooms on the ploughs website I booked a single room. On arrival after being leaf from bar to bar by miserable bar staff I was made to pay for my room before they took me up to it. My room was above a cocktail bar. See my photographs of the room given compared to the room they advertised. Dirty greasy stain on wall where head board should be. Dirty stained rug. Bottom of bedroom door kicked in. Thinnest duvet in works. Manky old washed out towels. Walls so thin I could hear the man next doors phone conversation at midnight when he came home drunk from the pub below. The rooms have a masticator toilet which is the noisiest thing ever. What annoyed me most was the misrepresentation their website gives. I stayed there the night before a triathlon and wanted a good nights sleep. I never got one. I left at 6.30am the place was deserted so couldn't complain. I did however email my complaints which were ignored. Avoid this hovel like the plague

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank mumof3gorgeousboys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I had the unfortunate experience of staying here on a balmy night back in July, and feel that it is only correct that I warn others against doing so.

I had booked the 'accomodation',( and I use that term very loosely, it is a dire pub with a few rooms for unsuspecting customers) in a rush on my lunch break at work through a popular booking websire. In my haste to secure a nights lodgings for nearby Drayton Manor I didn't read any trip advisor reviews as I would do usually and how I rued my decision.......

We located the premises and drove into the pubs car park, and I should have trusted my instict because upon seeing the place I instantly said to my girlfriend that we should leave immediatley. She convinced me otherwise, and it turned out to be a huge mistake.

As we were driving into the car park, the entire conregation of the pubs clientele stopped thier drinking and proceeded to stare intently at us, craning their necks to get a good look. It was like the scene from the slaughtered lamb in an American werewolf in London, though this mob all looked like they were waiting for DNA results from Jeremy Kyle. Perhaps we were a novelty as our knuckles didn't scrape the floor when we walked?

The pub is in a bleak a setting as you could envisage, with a big housing estate backing onto it one side and a busy main road upon the other. The pictures used on their own website are very misleading.

We checked in and were suprised to find that we were charged the amount for the room straight away, which seems a most unusal practise.

We were taken to our room, my feeling of impending doom growing by the minute. I was expecting it to be bad, but it turned out to be far far worse.

All th rooms are in a building which is attached to the side of the pub/restaurant. We were led up the stairs to be greeted by the aroma of fat from the kitchen downstairs. Our room was at the far end of the corrdior, and the journey seemed to take a lifetime.

We were given the key, and we entered our place of rest for the night.

It was an absolute hovel.

The first thing I noticed was the stifling heat. The country was experiencing some very pleasant hot weather at the time and this had turned the room into something resembling a nuclear oven. The furniture was MFI's finest flatpack, so flimsy it looked like it might collapse at any moment. This included the bed, which swayed from side to side when we got on it.

The most curious thing about the place was the bathroom, which was a bizarre box and a another room within the already tiny room. It had an awful macerator type toilet, which was very noisy, and a shower unit which looked like it was designed for a small rodent, such was the lack of space.

We prepaed ourselves for the long night ahead, both extremley worried about our fates.....

We decided to watch the tv to try and pass some time, as we didn't want to venture out into the very forbidding local area. Who knows what would have become of us there?

However, the TV is attached to a bracket which is almost at the height of the ceiling, so unless you happen to pack a high powered telescope you will not be able to indulge in vieiwing it.

Suffice to say the tv also looks as if it were procured from a local antique shop. I would never usually watch the tv when away, but the dire surroundings had forced me into a corner. We strained our eyes for as long as we could manage, then I stumbled upon a bible in a drawer and looked for solace in that.

The longest night of my life ensued, in searing heat with no air conditioning. We somehow drifted off into a restless sleep, eagerly awaiting morning and the road out of our own personal hell.

Morning came and we made a quick exit. We had been asked if we wanted breakfast the previous night, but upon seeing the standard of the place I had refused that offer. The whole establishment just looks and feels dirty.

I paid around £38 for the room, and that was too much. If you are looking for somewhere to stay for Drayton Manor I implore you to look elsewhere. The cheap price may seem alluring but it is that price for a reason. It is awful. If you are going to Drayton Manor and everywhere else is booked, then drive home.

Do not waste your money on this sham of a place.

Disgusting

Room Tip: In another hotel far far away
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Richard G

Travellers are raving about these Tamworth hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Stayed at Plough & Harrow last Thursday and absolutely disgusted at state of room. The toilet bowl needed a good bleaching, hot tap came to bits in your hands, bathroom like a cupboard added to room, water pipes made a noise every time you flushed toilet or used taps, wallpaper peeling off, airconditioning unit but no remote for it, paper thin walls so can hear everything going on in other rooms, cheap crickety bed. Ask for a cup of tea at breakfast and that is what you get, they take the small teapot away and use for next table who ask for tea. Want poached or scrambled egg, hard luck, you have what you are given and not asked for your choice. This place is like Faulty Towers!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed similar after talking to other people staying, my advise is take a bottle of bleach...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kingysmum
Holsworthy, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Stayed one night on business - what a bad mistake! Should have read all the reviews before I booked it. Dreadful rooms (2 & 3) with prison-style metal beds and cheap, tired furniture. Damp marks on the wall - my colleage was next door in the family room - very damp and musty with towel rail hanging off the wall. My room was slightly better but decor was dire. My bed was really uncomfortable - could feel the springs through the cheap mattress, but the bed linen was clean. Shower was okay. Staff though were really nice, friendly and helpful - shame the rooms were so awful. Supplied with a kettle, tea bags, coffee and a couple of milks - no biscuits. Food was good - we ate in the tapas bar as it was slightly quieter that evening, and had nice fish. Next day breakfast was pretty disappointing - no juice, cereal etc. to be seen, just choices from a short menu served with white toast - but no side plate laid up until we asked. My colleague had poached egg on toast and it was just that, one egg on a slice of unbuttered white toast. My bacon, egg and sausage was okay but coffee and tea were served out of a machine - just one mug each of them. All served at a table seated side by side facing a big tv about two feet from us.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sarah P
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

After a fun day of rollercoaster riding at Drayton Manor with my 14 year old son I was pleased to have booked us in to a nearby hotel rather than face the drive home.

The Plough was welcoming and although the room was fairly basic (what i was expecting for the price) it was clean and confortable. We booked dinner in the bar although the Tapas and cocktail menu in the through bar looked tempting and opted for a steak each which was way above pub standard. dessert was a wonderfully presented trio of chocolate.

The staff were really friendly and even moved us outside the following morning for an alfresco breakfast so that we could enjoy the early morning sunshine.

For families with small children the inn is on a main road so quite noisey. The building is also very creaky and has paper thin walls due to its age. There is however a really good enclosed childrens play area in the garden so they should be suitably tired enough to sleep.

That aside I wouldn't hesitate to stay their again.

Room Tip: Request a room at the rear it may be less noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

This place has recently had a refurb looking stylish with table service for drinks as well as food. No more waiting at the bar! Loved it we also decided to eat and I had the lamb shank, wow ! My wife had the steak wow real homemade high quality food and great service. Looking forward to visiting again!!!

• Stayed March 2013
manchester ,england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

We stayed here to break up a journey down south.We are so glad we did,it was a delightful place we are glad we found.The staff,the bar,the room,the food...excellent! Will definitely be staying here again,best service ever,we loved it.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family