“A gem of a place for the price - great charm and character!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Plough & Harrow

Plough & Harrow
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Limerick, Ireland
“A gem of a place for the price - great charm and character!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed there for two nights while visiting friends and family on the way back to Ireland after buying a car. I needed a place to stay and wasn't worried about luxury trappings or anything else as this was just going to be a base - so I picked the cheapest place I could find and hoped for the best.

Wow! Did I get a surprise! The room was small, but well outfitted. A nice comfortable chair and a comfy single bed (I wasn't expecting miracles!) with a decent bathroom and shower.
The staff were amazing, as at one stage I went downstairs to see if I could turn down the heating - and they showed me the thermostat for the entire floor and dropped it from 24 degrees to 19.

Great staff, great room and a fantastic price. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Gateshead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for one night in February and was pleasantly surprised having read some horror stories.
It was admittedly basic but for the money I paid, very good.
Clean and comfortable, and I didn't encounter any noise from downstairs.
En suite bathroom, although was a sani flow type toilet which was noisy when flushing.
That said, food for evening meal and breakfast was absolutely excellent, staff friendly and helpful, parking right outside the place, and very well priced.
Would definitely recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Lichfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2014

Too upset to mention total disgrace! Would never visit this dump again, could hear till 3am the cocktail bar downstairs then the hoover for cleaning! Then the staff laughing and messing about, not to mention the breakfast omg! Greasy!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Louise M

Travellers are raving about these Tamworth hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have been there several times with family and friends,amazing food and service,staff highly trained in hospitality and service,food always fresh ,wondering why they are not going for Michelin star,wine decanting,excellent atmosphere,can"t wait to go back

Room Tip: highly recomended
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lauren S
Malvern, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Stopped at the Plough and Harrow after an exhausting day at Drayton manor. I have booked the room a week in advance. At the door I was greeted by a friendly member of staff who was trying to determine my needs. I told her I had a room booked for the night and I was promptly checked in. The room was small but clean and warm ( what would I expect for the price £34.90 with breakfast included). Went down for a meal and oh surprise there was a spanish tapas and coktail bar. The olives I ordered to start with were to die for and the tenderloin steak for main was just as good. Had a brownie for desert and I could say, it was the best I've ever had. All of it washed down with their superb cocktails ( best caiprinha around). The staff was extremely attentive and helpful. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic, so I happily headed home. I want to take the opportunity to thank the staff for the excellent evening. The place is a gem. Highly recommend it to everybody headed this way.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank happyfeet345
Cannock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The price you pay for the room as the titles says is great value for money. When checking in the staff were very polite and tentative. Once shown to the room i was very happy with how clean the room was which is a must for any guest. After dropping my luggage off at the room i asked one of the staff members about where is good to eat in the local area and the staff member suggested eating at Passion which is the restaurant at the Plough and Harrow in which i obliged to do so. I must say that the Passion restaurant looked fantastic and modern and the restaurant staff again were very polite and also as this being a tapas restaurant i wasn't to sure want to order and the waiter was very helpful finding me the dishes best suited to me. The meal was one of the best meals Ive had for a long time and suggest everyone to have food there, mouthwatering is an understatement also i recommend people to try the infusion board which was to die for . After the meal i went back to my room and had a fantastic nights sleep.
to conclude the staff were great , the room was value for money and food was incredible

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

I say I'm unsure as for the price its ok. Yes the room is small and yes some things could be cleaner. But overall not to bad. The noisy bathroom was a bit of a problem it's a saniflow thing so even the shower is very noisy. I did find it a bit odd having to pay for my full stay on check in but looking back I was checking out at 4am so guess it sorted that problem out. But I did try all three of the local chinese restaurant/take aways near by and was very happy with them.

Room Tip: Turn left follow the road to the roundabout and the cantonese on the corner is very good. and with...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo