“Can't grumble at the price”
Review of Plough & Harrow

Plough & Harrow
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Room was clean and reasonably comfortable. £35 for a single room. Not too far from motorways, however not in the most salubrious part of Tamworth either. Plenty of character, - old coaching inn?

I was expecting it to be really noisy as it was a Saturday night and the pub bar was blasting with 80s music. It was quite noisy but not as bad as I'd feared - the noise was pretty much over by the time I went to sleep. I was however woken up by another guest's alarm clock - the walls truly are paper thin. No shower gel etc in the shower and the plumbing is sani-flo so noisy.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here after a fun filled day at drayton manor. Great location. Room was tiny couldnt swing a cat. Shower was tiny with paint coming off at ceiling. Cobwebs everywhere needed a good spring clean. Damp patch on ceiling. Squeaky metal frame. Really noisy esp cos the walls are paper thin. When we booked the guy said we will give you a bigger room cos we had a toddler with us! This was laughable. Noisy from cocktail bar downstairs and beer garden outside. Pics on website jazzed up the rooms dont be fooled. U really do get what u pay for! They should of paid me to stay there!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank d888888888
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

From the outside this is an average looking pub, but inside the decor, staff friendly welcome and quality of food was excellent. Food choices very good, quality and value for money excellent. Would happily return to this establishment.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 1 April 2014

1. I had no remote control for the tv. When I asked at the bar I was fobbed off for literally hours. I was told several times that it should be there (I know that thank you). I was asked if it was on the bedside table (clearly not or we wouldn't be having this conversion). I was asked if it was in any of the drawers (no) are you sure? (yes, why don't you come and look for yourself?). Then, I was asked if I had pulled the bed out & checked under it! What the flip?! I'm staying in a hotel & being the told to move the bed to find something that should be right there! I moved the troughing bed and still no remote! But don't worry, I could hear next door's tv CRYSTAL CLEAR! Which brings me onto my next point.

2. OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! THE NOISE! TVs, conversations, traffic, the bar downstairs, toilets, showers, the snorer in the next room. It was all like it was coming through an amplifier.

3. The bar of hand soap was left over from the previous occupant. There was also remnants of weed in the drawer that I came across whilst searching for the remote. Not that I'm surprised, I take my hat off to anyone who can stay here without the use of narcotics.

4. The wifi doesn't work. Small gripe but an extra nail in the coffin none the less.

And finally the noise again. I would have had a better nights sleep in my car.

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank acbaki
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I stayed there for two nights while visiting friends and family on the way back to Ireland after buying a car. I needed a place to stay and wasn't worried about luxury trappings or anything else as this was just going to be a base - so I picked the cheapest place I could find and hoped for the best.

Wow! Did I get a surprise! The room was small, but well outfitted. A nice comfortable chair and a comfy single bed (I wasn't expecting miracles!) with a decent bathroom and shower.
The staff were amazing, as at one stage I went downstairs to see if I could turn down the heating - and they showed me the thermostat for the entire floor and dropped it from 24 degrees to 19.

Great staff, great room and a fantastic price. I'll be back!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed here for one night in February and was pleasantly surprised having read some horror stories.
It was admittedly basic but for the money I paid, very good.
Clean and comfortable, and I didn't encounter any noise from downstairs.
En suite bathroom, although was a sani flow type toilet which was noisy when flushing.
That said, food for evening meal and breakfast was absolutely excellent, staff friendly and helpful, parking right outside the place, and very well priced.
Would definitely recommend for a short stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Too upset to mention total disgrace! Would never visit this dump again, could hear till 3am the cocktail bar downstairs then the hoover for cleaning! Then the staff laughing and messing about, not to mention the breakfast omg! Greasy!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family