“Little gem in town.”

Ranked #2 of 6 Tamworth B&B and Inns
Pembroke, United Kingdom
“Little gem in town.”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We spent the weekend there, had a very nice room on the ground floor as requested. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. Ate dinner there one night in the excellent restaurant. I would certainly recommend both the hotel and the restaurant.

Room Tip: Go for a ground floor room as all rooms are accessed from a central courtyard and stairs could be di...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Bologna, Italy
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Positive:
- Very kind staff.
- Bathroom in perfect condition.
- Very competitive price.
- Awesome restaurant.

My room was facing the road, so it was a little bit noisy. I can say also very small.
Internet connection not so fast and towels not extremely cleaned.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Christopher G, Public Relations Manager at The Peel Aldergate Hotel - Guest Accommodation, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of The Peel Aldergate with other TripAdvisor users.

Thank you for the positive comments about our staff, the "awesome" restaurant, the bathroom and the room price. We try hard to give every guest that stays with us the best experience possible, and I am pleased we succeeded in these areas.

I am sorry to read that you did not get a good nights sleep, seemingly because the room you stayed in faces the road. Five of our nineteen bedrooms do face the main road (as we are a town centre hotel). We have done everything possible to insulate the rooms from outside noise, but would perhaps suggest very light sleepers ask for rooms away from the road. Having said this, it is rare that we get complains about road noise, and have a few long stay and regular guests who actually request to stay in those rooms as they like them.

We have been trying for a while to get our WiFi service perfect. It's slightly more challenging than you may think as the technology is not yet perfect. Being an old collection of historic grade two listed buildings, with some very thick stone walls, we have experienced some problems, and I'm sorry this affected your stay. I am pleased to tell you that we are investing in a brand new hardwired internet WiFi system as part of our current refurbishment, which will be installed within the next month. So hopefully our WiFi will be up to the expected standards. We recognise that these days a good internet connection is as important as a hot shower to many guests.

I am sorry to hear that you felt your towels were not clean enough. I can assure you that we always change towels after guests leave and all towels are washed at a high temperature. It is possible that there could have been a stain, and that although clean the towel may have looked unclean. We only use white towels so that 99% of the time any stains are noticed and towels re-cleaned, but perhaps on this occasion the chamber maid missed it. I are sorry if this was the case.

I believe you were staying in a single room. I'm sorry that you felt the room a little too small. All of our rooms are certified by the Visit England tourist board as being of a 4 star guest accommodation standard, and being an old hotel each room is unique.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback.

We hope to welcome you back to the Peel Aldergate again in the future.

Kind regards

Christopher Gill
Mael Pestivien
Reviewed 4 April 2014

This is a really convenient hotel, close to all the major road links and Drayton Manor. The accommodation is comfortable and clean, the members of staff are very friendly and extremely helpful.
Tamworth itself has a lot of history, especially relating to the Saxon Kings and Queens, the Castle and its lovely grounds are well worth a visit.
I will certainly use this place next time I’m in the area.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, like me, there are some ground floor rooms with direct access from th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gazabal
Lewes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed at the Peel Aldergate in January with our baby and dog in tow and the staff were very accommodating and helpful. Our room was great with a comfy bed, soft sweet smelling sheets and toiletries and powerful shower. We had dinner and breakfast at Christopher's restaurant which was on the small side but I believe there are plans to expand. The food offered was good and reasonably priced. Overall just what we needed and we plan to return!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank KazzalinaM
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Booked last minute direct with hotel as I wanted to break a long business trip & weather was foul ! Car park very limited as a late arrival late and difficult to manouevre (OK you check the spelling!). Bedroom for a solo traveller very basic and a bit of a walk back out into car park and up 3 flights of stairs - attic room! But clean and warm. Evening meal surprisingly good with an excellent steak & an acceptable house wine. Bar area limited as it doubles with/for the restaurant. Breakfast fair value and included. Very convenient for Tamworth town centre - easy walk to all attractions and castle and to train station. The main church St Editha is very ancient, large & well worth a visit. Overall reasonable value for money for a solo business traveller - might want/expect more if travelling as a couple for leisure.

Room Tip: Ask what floor room will be on and if it is inside or outside access from reception.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Stayed 1 night

My room was clean and comfy good bathroom TV drinks facility Wifi was a little patchy at times but free. Evening meal excellent I had the perfect steak and chef even went to the trouble of making onion rings for me Breakfast was very good too. The staff were polite and helpful and I'd stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sean R
england
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Excellent hotel - ideally located for working in the area. The hotel could not have been easier to find and the on-site parking was very good. Stayed on two separate occasions now and have the third stay booked. All the staff are very friendly - especially Mandy, the rooms I have stayed in (7 and 12 so far) have been of a good size and the breakfast is well-presented and plentiful. I have eaten in Christopher's Restaurant twice in the evening and the food was exceptional both times. This hotel is a real find. The only reason I've not given 5/5 is the water pressure is too low for a decent shower.

Summary: lovely town, lovely hotel.

Room Tip: Not had a bad one yet!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business