“Nice stayover for Drayton Manors stayover”

Drayton Manor Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Nice stayover for Drayton Manors stayover”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Pleasant stay for family trip to Thomas Land. Room was adequate and well presented. Unfortunately our toddlers sofa bed for the night was very uncomfortable with springs jutting out from most of the mattress, so he ended up in the double with us for a squashed nights sleep, not ideal. We had a fridge in the room but it wasn't at fridge temp to be useful. The staff were very good and helpful. We would probably stay again if the sofa bed mattress could be improved.

Room Tip: We chose stay and play option with reduced ticket price option for 2nd day, so it was worth staying...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank DanielleSweeney01
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
You will be pleased to hear that our sofabed mattresses have been replaced this very week so should be a lot better if you return in future which I sincerely hope you do. I am happy to see for the most part you had an enjoyable time at our hotel. Thank you for your feedback.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed with my Dad and my son for one night on Sat 28th June ( in one of the thomas themed bedrooms ). The hotel I found very family friendly and lots for my son to see and do ( he is 3 years old ) Room was pricey for one night but my son just loved it and the hotel is ideal for visiting the theme park. Really enjoyed our stay and would love to return again.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank lesleyanne d
I am happy you and your 3 year old enjoyed his time with us. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.
Devon
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here the last weekend in June with our four year old Grandchild, from entering the hotel we were amazed at the cleanliness and the lengths they have gone to to make the hotel family friendly. The mini carousel in the foyer reminded us we were about to have a fun weekend at Drayton Manor although the reception staff must be sick to the hind teeth of hearing the same repetitive tune all day long but the staff couldn't do enough to help, my mobility problems meant I needed a disabled shower room and they moved us rooms without any quibble, the gentleman who dealt with our request was immaculately turned out and helped us with numerous requests from booking our evening meal at THE GRILL across the road which I can thoroughly recommend by the way to helping us sort out the wifi. The rooms are comfortable and great facilities, warning it can be noisy given its a hotel really geared for young families, this isnt the place to come if you want peace and quiet and no noisy kids! The play area at the rear was brilliant and catered for every age, The breakfast was a great choice, Cereal and hot food available although I didnt notice the menu on the table where I could have got my granddaughter her beloved boiled eggys, had I known I would have done that but handy to know they also serve porridge and a choice of eggs. We would definitely stay there again, excellent value for money we feel. Thank you Drayton Manor hotel for giving us an amazing weekend, we look forward to future bookings with you.

3 Thank thenewlyweds2008_8
Thank you for your kind review. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. The wi-fi can sometimes be very tricky to work out so I am glad I was able to help on that front. I will pass your comments regarding the grill inn to the manager over there. I am sure she will be as happy as I am. I do hope to see you and your family back again in the near future.
Dublin Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend while we took our toddlers to ThomasLand. Unfortunately we were given a very bad first impression when our room wasn't ready at check in time. We had to wait twenty minutes before queueing for the 3rd time to find out if we could check in yet. I wouldnt have minded so much but my my kids were soaked to death having been caught in the rain at the theme park and we had to wait there in wet clothes. The least a hotel can do in this situation would be to offer guests to wait in the lounge with a complimentary drink.

The hotel was very busy the whole weekend & we were constantly having to queue for reception, there didn't seem to be enough staff. The kids pull out bed in the family room was dreadful, like laying directly on springs & far too many sharp edges & iron bars for small kids! Food was fine if a little overpriced. Housekeeping were good & prompt. Location is obviously the main reason people stay here for visiting the park. Overall its an average hotel, not a 4 star by any means.

1 Thank mrburges
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
I am concerned to see the reception desk did not seem as well staffed as you would have liked. This is an area I have tried to improve since starting my role to speed up the service given to our guests. I am sorry to see you also had to wait to get access to your bedroom. Again it is very rare our guests can not get in at 3pm. I will address these areas with my team. Should you stay again in future please give the hotel a call in advance and I will do all I can to get you an early check-in time. Thank you for your review.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed for one night here in a Triple Single room with my two childen back in November 2013. In order that they don't sue me, I am NOT saying that the beds were under-sized, however you might want to take a tape measure and check this should you stay in such a room yourself. The hotel advertises itself as Four Star, and according to the criteria for a Four Star establishment as laid down by Quality in Tourism, the awarding body, unless specifically advertised as being a child bed only, single beds MUST be a minimum of 3 feet wide. Small singles (2 ft 6 inches wide) are not acceptable, and were they to give you one of these they would be in breach of contract.

In general the facilities of the hotel were basic but adequate (although no pool or other leisure facilities that I would normally associate with a four star hotel), however I was extremely dissatisfied with the beds in my room, and even more dissatisfied with the way in which my complaint was handled the following morning, which I would characterise as rude, obstructive and dishonest. I would certainly not consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mike B
Philip B, Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for your review.

May I sincerely apologize for the uncomfortable night sleep that you encountered during your stay here last November..

As previously discussed when you contacted us directly, the four star criteria stipulates that the size for a single bed is 190 x 90 cm. Our single beds are 200 x 90 cm Hypnos beds.

Following your complaint we were contacted directly by "quality in tourism" who were satisfied with the standard of our beds. They also informed me that you would be contacted to be made aware that the case had been closed.

If I can be of any more assistance please don't hesitate to contact me directly using the contact details given previously.

Kind regards,

Philip Brampton
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our main purpose of staying was because we wanted to visit the theme park so it was the closest and most convenient choice there. The hotel provided us with the theme park tickets so that we could go straight to the park before the scheduled check-in time. The hotel itself was average, room was a bit dated and less spacious than expected (we booked a family room). We wanted to book the Thomas room but it was not available. There were cheaper choices elsewhere but due to its convenient access to the theme park I would still recommend it. If you are not visiting the theme park then I don't see anything special about it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Our hotel is located conveniently adjacent to the park which makes us a good choice for anyone who wants to visit Drayton Manor. Our standard rooms are kept more conservative as we also have business guests who use the hotel. Our Thomas rooms do offer a bit more space, and if they are all booked we do also have our Presidential rooms which a lot bigger than our normal rooms. If booking again in future please look at these options and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay.
Edenbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I travelled here to go to Thomas land with my mother and two children (1.5yrs & 3.5yrs). The location was fantastic for theme park access, it took two minutes to walk there.
We decided to go the whole hog and book a thomas themed room and the character breakfast.
The room was great and the children were suitably excited and loved the free Thomas welcome pack.
However the Character breakfast was a total let down. Sticky plastic, worn out table cloths, not enough staff, empty buffet food trays, which meant we all had to eat our breakfast seperatly. To top it off the disappointment of our children when they were told that they would not be meeting the fat controller (which the whole thing was based on) instead they had someone dress up in a crap dragon costume, which has nothing to do with Thomas.
So over all a slightly disappointing stay.

1 Thank Clairel0uisesmith
I am sorry you feel the character breakfast has let down your stay. We can never guarantee the FC will be at our character breakfast. I am however pleased to see you enjoyed other areas of your stay. Thank you for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamworth
Holiday Inn Express Tamworth
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
Holiday Inn Express Lichfield

Been to Drayton Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!