“Drayton Manor Hotel”

Drayton Manor Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Arrived for an overnight stay at the hotel after a day visiting Drayton Manor Park & Zoo. Check-in was relatively straightforward, and my credit card was swiped so that any additional charges such as room service, dinner, etc. could be charged to the card.

Two room keys in the form of swipe cards were handed over and these were needed to use the lift and to open the doors to the stair wells, as well as entry to the room.

The room itself couldn’t be faulted. It was modern and quite spacious. The room we were in even had a single bed as well as the double. Tea and coffee facilities were provided as well as packets of biscuits, and there was also a small fridge hidden away in one of the cupboards. One of the drawers contained a hair dryer, whilst inside the wardrobe was an iron and ironing board and even a small safe to store valuable items. There was a telephone next to the bed which wasn't used, and I'm not sure of the charges had it been.

The bathroom was also spacious and was fitted out to a high standard, with plenty of towels and a heated towel rail.

We had booked dinner in the Parklands restaurant at 7.30pm, and I was disappointed to find that, although I had booked the meal 3 weeks in advance and had even paid £20 each towards the cost of our meal, they didn’t appear to have our booking listed. Luckily, the restaurant wasn’t fully booked so a table was quickly found for us. However, the table was near the entrance to the restaurant where they seem to seat all of the parents and children, so it wasn’t exactly the quietest meal we have ever had. The rear of the restaurant, which is also decorated more luxuriantly than the front section, was apparently full at the time we arrived. As we visited the hotel during the school holidays, I suppose it wasn’t exactly surprising, but it did take the shine off it somewhat. The food couldn’t be faulted. Although it was reasonably expensive, it was worth the cost and was thoroughly enjoyed.

Breakfast was taken the following morning in the same restaurant, but we were sat in the quieter rear area of the restaurant. Breakfast was a buffet style, with plenty of choice of cereals, fruit, yoghurts, toast, fruit juices and the hot cooked food. The tea and coffee was served directly to our table. As with the meal the night before, the breakfast was of good quality.

Check-out seemed to be very early at 10am, so breakfast seemed to be a bit rushed if you didn’t wake early enough. Breakfast was served though until 10.30am, so I suppose you could check out first, although it wouldn’t leave much time for breakfast. Check-out was simple as the room keys were handed back and my credit card would then have been charged for the room and additional items.

All-in-all, it was a nice enough stay, only marred slightly by the meal for which the restaurant didn’t have booked, and being seated in the noisy part of the restaurant. The hotel itself though was very nice and clean, having only opened 3 years ago, and I would definitely stay here again, only maybe not during the school holidays which was a bit of a mistake for a couple with no children in tow.

Room Tip: If you are a couple with no children who want a quieter stay, maybe book outside the school holidays...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you for your review which is very detailed for anyone looking to stay with us. I am sorry to hear your restaurant booking was not in our system despite you having booked in advance, but I am pleased to see we were still able to accommodate you and your family. I hope you visit us again one day soon.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,766)

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Some staff very helpful others dreadful. The Thomas room we had needed a good clean. Outside tables and seats filthy. Food was lovely, not the warmest. Worst thing for me was wee fruit flys in the restaurant. They were everywhere. The staff are bitten by them and complain. I spoke to a manager and he asked me if I wanted to sit outside. A shoulder shrug and off he went. Prices for dinner was reasonable but drinks very overpriced. Breakfast with the fat controller was good. My son loved it. Let's face it you go for the kids and theme park.

Room Tip: Thomas themed rooms overpriced but kids go mad for them.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

I was not aware of the fruit flies in our restaurant so if this was a problem during your stay I apologise profusely. I have been and checked all areas of our food and beverage departments this morning and there is no sign so I am sure if there were flies this problem has now been resolved. I am happy you had a nice experience at breakfast and I will circulate your feedback so all areas of the hotel can action points within their relevant departments.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Hotel - welcome on Tuesday 12th August at 1.30pm was zero, communication was poor, firstly staff advised us of children's entertainment on the incorrect floor. Secondly room service was non existent after telephoning as per the room menu for 45 minutes to eventually get dressed and go to reception only to be told you have to order in the restaurant, maybe you should update the room information! No park map given on arrival, car parking was confusing, signage poor and not very child friendly - don't even get me started on the park itself! posted review

2  Thank julieI2070AL

Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay with us. The telephone numbers provided for room service on our welcome letters are correct. If these were not answered I apologise and will speak with our Restaurant Manager to get this addressed immediately. We have 2 stands at each end of our reception desk containing theme park maps for guests to help themselves to at any time. I will speak with the individual who checked you into the hotel regarding the welcome you received also. Through your comments we are able to address these areas in the hope they will not happen again in future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Pros - hotel is slap bang next to Drayton Manor park so obviously it's great if you're visiting the park. The hotel is fairly new so it all looks shiny and clean still, although it is quite stark and has a business feel. Our room was good, two double beds for us and our four children, which were fairly comfy so no complaints there. Bathroom was nice and clean.

Cons - on our first evening we wanted dinner. We tried to go to the carousel bar, but when we found it we were barked at and told it was closed. We went up to main restaurant where prices are steep, and enquired about a child's menu. They don't have one, children eat from a buffet and it's £9.99. Which is great unless your three year old eats half a sausage and two chips and then decides they're stuffed!! We opted to go to KFC up to road rather than pay £50 before drinks for a meal in the hotel.

Breakfast was tasty, but on helping ourselves to sausages I cut into them and they were pink inside, so we avoided those. We did alert staff who said they were sorry but they were batch cooked so it was unavoidable!!!!!!

My husband uses a wheelchair, which posed problems when trying to access the park from the hotel. Our options were to go to the left of the car park and up a bumpy ramp, which we tried but couldn't get the wheelchair up it. The pedestrian crossing was accessible via two sets of steps which obviously was not possible. In the end we opted to use the vehicle exit from the car park, but this meant we had to cross the fast traffic moving into the park, which with a wheelchair and two children was a bit hairy! I did ask staff there was a better way we had missed, but were told that no the only way was the way we had gone. I feel this is very unsafe and would be easily remedied by putting a ramp instead of steps.

Housekeeping was ok during our stay but on arrival there were open alcohol bottles left in our room from previous guests - glad we found them before our children did.

Internet is NoT free whatever they tell you at reception - you have to enter your email for wifi and you get 30 mins free, after that it's £10 per day.

I would stay here again for the convenience of being so close to the park but there's definitely things they could do better.

• Stayed: August 2014
4  Thank carlafranks

You have raised some good points for us to look at in regards to wheelchair access. I will raise these with our senior management team in the hope we could have a ramp fitted, maybe in our closed season later this year. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations but I thank you for your feedback through which we can improve for the future.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a theme park hotel before but wasnt impressed staying here. Got to the hotel after a long day in the theme park. Our room had a cot init and we were 2 ad & 2 ch ages 11 & 6. Only had 3 cups in the room and 3 towels. We obviously had the wrong room. The rooms were clean but not 4* standard. Quite small for a family room. Very crammed. Also our bed was so uncomfortable. The restaurant in the morning was hectic. Long queues to get breakfast. Running out of hot food but not replacing them quick enough. Twice my daughter wanted a fried egg but twice they didnt have any. Also wanted to play crazy golf before we left and they only had 1 ball available. This was early and no one else was playing. Just felt this hotel had no organisation. The only benefit is its location...right by the entrance.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Lisa C

I can only guess given your comments you must have visited us at an extremely busy time. It certainly seems in regards to your room issues that we may have had to move a few around that day. We are happy to bring extra amenities to all of our guests if and when they need them. The service we offer is usually of a much higher standard. I hope you can appreciate this and give us chance to change your opinion in future. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here with my wife and two children for one night and paid a reasonable amount considering this is the hotel that serves the theme park.

Check in was quick and efficient, were sorted within 5 minutes and there were plenty of staff manning the reception. The room itself was decent, nice size double bed with pull out bed for the children. Even with the two double beds, there was still room for a travel cot without it being in the way. The room seemed to be clean, although I didn't really check to be honest.

The bathroom was great with a good shower, all modern. TV was great with many channels for free. The Wi-Fi was also pretty good, but you must ask at reception for a username and password.

Due to the children being very tired, we decided to order room service instead of going to the restaurant. Prices were reasonable for a hotel and meals were delivered within 30 minutes and the food was to a good standard. There was some confusion as the child's meal appeared to be free initially when given the bill, but when checking out the following morning, there was a charge for the child's meal with no explanation so be aware. Also, the staff delivering the meal expected for the food to be paid for there and then in cash however I was not made aware of this up front and has no cash so was able to contact reception and give them my bank card details for payment.

Breakfast was actually pretty good, despite what has been stated on here already, although I did find that the cups were not always clean, but they were happy to replace them. The food was great, the coffee was good and all this was included in the price. Do take note of the advised timings to visit the restaurant as we were there from 0830 to 0900 and it was extremely busy as we were leaving!

Adequate parking is provided (and is free!) as there is an additional overflow car park not too far away from the hotel, but turn up early if you want to park out in front of the hotel.

All in all it was a great stay, great value for money considering some theme parks charge hundreds per nights, I would recommend to all. The only criticism I would have is that there aren't enough themed rooms as we could only get the standard room. Book early to avoid disappointment!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

We are looking into extending our Thomas room capacity for the future as these room are in high demand. Hopefully next time you stay you can make use of one of these rooms. I am happy to see you enjoyed your stay, albeit with a billing issue at the end - I hope this was rectified at check-out. I hope to welcome you and your family back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

We had a fantasic stay at drayton manor hotel. The room was lovely, the staff were very helpfull, the meal at the grill was great and reasonably priced and breakfast was lovely too. Defo going back next year.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Elaine K
Drayton Manor H, Front Office Manager at Drayton Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2014

I am happy to see you had a good time at our hotel and Grill Inn restaurant. I hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamworth
Holiday Inn Express Tamworth
#6 of 11 in Tamworth
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston

Been to Drayton Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!