“Wedding night comfort”
Review of Castle Hotel

Castle Hotel
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We got married and had our reception at the wonderful Castle Hotel on June 1st 2012. Let me first say that 99% of our stay was perfect, the wedding liason Nicky was excellent, as was Scott who acted as Master Of Ceremonies. Both put in many hours, as did the rest of the waiting staff to make our day run smoothly. There was just one bar man who was a little off with myself and I later discovered, also with some of our guests. Theres always one, apart from him everybody else worked long & hard and are a credit to the hotel.
Check in was quick and easy. Rooms are accessible, unless you have a disabled member of your party. There are no lifts as the hotel is several hundred years old. Stairs are shallow with good hand rails, but wheel chair access above ground floor could be tricky. As we are both able bodied, we had no issues and there were no reports from our several impaired guests of them having any major issues.
Be aware there is no car park, except the local town car park a couple of minutes down hill. Parking is free after 6 pm until 8 am, however the wardens start early, so don't lie in without getting a parking ticket ! Prices are cheap, less than 3 pounds. About 10 disabled parking spaces across the road from the front doors, very convenient for our disabled guests.
The rooms are all clean, however the hotel is undergoing a re-decoration process over a couple of years, having been taken over by new owners about 18 months ago. Nothing is particularly dirty but there are signs of wear & tear. To us, this added to the character or this historic hotel. Others might see this as a negative.
Food quality is good, the bar is well stocked and prices are quite reasonable. Morning breakfast is a very well stocked self service "fry up", with toast and cereals also available. This was very tasty and filling.
Overall, as a venue for a wedding reception, you would be very hard pushed to beat this. Prices are very good, service is excellent (apart from one bar man) and I would be more than happy to attend a function here again in the future.

Room Tip: There are rooms in the main hotel & 30 more at the annex over the other side of Lady Gate. Room...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keith P

Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I met at the Castle Hotel and wanted to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary here with a meal for close family and friends. The hotel suggested we would benefit from their amazing wedding package if we had a minimum of 30 guests. This included wine with the meal, bubbly for the toast, a toastmaster, a 2 tier cake, all table linen and napkins and a superior room for the 'happy couple' with breakfast.
What an amazing deal! the room looked beautiful, the meal was cooked to perfection, the staff were so courteous and helpful, there is nothing that we would change about this day, it was perfect. Many thanks to all staff especially Nikki who helped organise it and Scott who looked after us on the day.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sue B
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Stayed in this hotel for my dad's wedding last weekend, just wanted to quickly say how much i enjoyed it, the hotel is great, breakfast lovely and the wedding itself was faultless, couldn't of asked for a better day (including the lovely weather), we had a night out in vodka bar the night before the wedding and everyone (young to old) thoroughly enjoyed themselves! Staff were all brilliant too, especially in the vodka bar and the gent who did the master of ceremonies on the day, couldn't of asked for a better weekend. Thanks to all :)

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Went to a wedding last week at the castle hotel , very very poor on wheelchair access , the wedding was in Tudor rooms upstairs , we had to walk around building to enter through the vodka bar then had to get the help of 2 other guests to help lift wheelchair up steps to get into venue. There we no disable toilets and had to get down more steps to get to standard toilet. When asking if there was a ramp available the hotel worker said yes but it does not fit steps properly . Nothing wrong with the venue for able bodied people , but beware if your are in a wheelchair . The wedding was fantastic.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We decided to Marry at short notice (no shotguns, but with only 2 1/2 weeks planning).
We had already during our engagement viewed various venues (inc The Castle Hotel) & made loose plans,

From the very first phone call Nikki couldn't have helped or guided us more.
The price was good, the food was plentifull, the Master of Ceromonies couldn't have been more attentive (& I have never known a harder working guy- setting up the rooms at 1-2AM then being back at 12 to look after us).

It does get noisey with other weddings & the Vodka bar but the flip side is that we had a party with a great atmosphere & there's no one cramping your party calming you down.

The rooms/decor are dated but clean.

It's a great venue with great staff.

We could've planned for 2 years & paid twice as much and honestly not had half the day The Castle Hotel provided for us.

We'd not change a thing about our day, least of all the venue!!

Thanks to all the staff.

Room Tip: If I was a travelling businessman looking for a quiet room I'd prob look elsewhere. If I was loo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Shandy A
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My sister had her reception at this hotel. My family is in the wedding business and have never experienced anything like it. The event room was good and the staff helpful until the morning after the wedding when the whole wedding was over they announced that my prints had under paid by £1000. Well you can imagine our surprise as we thought the bill had been settled months ago. The staff said it was their fault as they had miscalculated, but we still had to pay. Well even after contacting solicitors the advice was my family could still loose the case and it was gonna cost us more than what they wanted from us. In the end we had to pay, but believe me we will not be reccomending them to our clients or anyone else. I had thought long and hard about putting this on here as I usually only review places I have had good or great service with, I don't like reading negative comments on somewhere as I don't think they can always be trusted, but I don't want anyone else to fall for their trap. If you hold your wedding here be very very careful.

Room Tip: No rooms are good
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lionbird1983
nikki2404, Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

This review is completely incorrect, if we were to do this we would have nothing but unhappy bridal couples. We take great pride in every aspect of our wedding planning which is reflected in our reputation from bridal couples. Anybody reading this review who is concerned is welcome to call and discuss this. This review is written by a third party, the bride and groom were aware of every individual charge before the wedding. Correspondence for this wedding and the final invoice will be made available to anybody that has read this review and is concerned.

Reviewed 8 May 2012

We had our wedding reception here easter weekend, and couldnt of wanted a better day. All the staff went out of their way to make it special and they certainly achieved it. To say that I am fussy and over the top is an understatement and I am very particular how everything is done but nothing was too much trouble. Price as mentioned in other reviews is amazing, we shopped around before choosing the reception venue and can honestly say that the total came in at least half to everywhere else we looked at but not at all did you feel like anything was being done on the cheap. Food was fantastic, staff were lovely, (Especially Nikki and Scott who had to put up with my demanding nature-im sorry and thank you) attention to detail was second to none. I could not recommend this venue enough to anyone planning their upcoming wedding. You couldnt ask to have a better wedding planner than Nikki or a master of ceremonies Scott. Once again thank you for making our day wonderful

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank thebridles

Thank you for your comments, they make our efforts very worth while and it was a pleasure to look after you.