“Excellent”

Castle Hotel
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Tamworth
“Excellent”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Attended a wedding at this hotel with my partner. Excellent customer service from all staff from checking in to checking out. We stayed in the main building in a double room, the room was well equipped and had everything we required, very clean and tidy. The meal at the wedding was excellent also. We had breakfast which again was great, buffet style full English and continental, I recommend this hotel highly, and would stay again when in the area.

1 Thank Pjl26
CastleHotelTamworth, Front Office Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and the wedding you were attending. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Tamworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I've stayed at this particular hotel on a few occasions as a contractor and feel this hotel is very clean and tidy. It is also very reasonably priced.
Breakfast is good and plenty to choose from.
All staff I found was very helpful an polite.
Would almost certainly stay again if I'm in the area

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank wezthomas
Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Tamworth.
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Well, gosh...where do I start. I booked this hotel through booking.com and online it looked the bees knees. Perfect location next to Tamworth Castle, parking on site and a great postcard picture.

We arrived on the Saturday afternoon and on arrival the room was not read,y so we had a drink in the hotel bar. Bar lovely and staff who work in there are pleasant.

After check-in we made our way to our room, which was across the road from the Castle Hotel. Walking up to the large house, that looked like it had been converted in to bedrooms was very impressive.

After opening the front door and walking in to the building there was a musty smell and walking up the stairs the carpet was...to say the least needed ripping up. Walked in to the bedroom and talk about back in time with polystyrene tiles on the ceiling and bathroom was old fashioned with grubby tiles on the wall.

I am pleased I only booked one night, there as I would have checked out next day. Staff at the hotel are very pleasant and helpful and the receptionist was very understanding when I complained about our room.

Room was clean and fresh linen, but would I stay here again? Not in the Annex building, but maybe one day, I might try a stay in the main hotel.

In the afternoon we had a walk around the Castle grounds and the park is outstanding, clean toilets and lawns well looked after. There was a large screen being erected and fencing being placed around the grounds for the Grease Festival that was starting at 21:00 hours that day and all the tickets had sold out. I met the manager and organiser of the festival and arranged with them for me to do a review. Unfortunately, time ticked away and I did not realise the time and didn't arrive until 15 minutes before the end. So, all I can say after speaking to a chap, who was dressed up as one of the Pink Ladies... his words..."We all had a fantastic time, everyone friendly, well organised and a credit to Tamworth for organising such a great Festival."

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Janet T
Thank you Janet for your review, though I have to say it has left us a little confused.

We are pleased that you found all our staff to be friendly and helpful, and that you enjoyed using the bar facilities whilst waiting for your room to be ready.

If I am honest I am unsure exactly what was wrong with your room as you state the ‘bathroom was old fashioned with grubby tiles on the wall’ but then go on to say the room was clean. We appreciate that the corridor carpets experience a high volume of traffic and as such are in need of replacing more frequently than anywhere else. We are aware that the Brewery House corridors are in need of refurbishment and assure you they are on our Maintenance Team’s list once we reach a quieter period
I feel I must point out that contrary to your review, we do not have on site parking and this is clearly stated on the Booking.com website.

The Receptionist who was on shift at the time of your departure remembers you mentioning that you did not believe the room was worth the price you had paid for it and your concerns regarding the ceiling tiles. . I can assure you the ceiling tiles are not polystyrene, but fire rated fibre composite tiles, which meet all current Health & Safety regulations, and I am aware that a concession was made on your bill to account for your dissatisfaction with your stay.

I am sorry your stay did not meet with your expectations however I would be interested in a more detailed description of the reasons behind this so that we can work on preventing any dissatisfaction in the future.
Scunthorpe
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We are staying here for a while and find the service very bad, the staff are patronising and sarcastic and they change your room or
Give it away at their own convenience. The room I had wasn't cleaned properly putting dirty towels back on the rails. The breakfast is very poor. I am here as it's near my job and cheap. Not a pleasant experience

2 Thank andy1489
CastleHotelTamworth, General Manager at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
We understand your frustration but are not sure your comments are entirely fair or representative of what you have actually experienced.
The air cooling company that you represent booked you into the hotel not very long before your stay, all 3 of you had been booked into a family room, I assume to save money. We resolved this by changing this to a single and a twin room.
We do not move you out of your room at our convenience we have been fully booked on several dates well before your reservation was made mostly by weddings that have been booked for a considerable period of time which was why you have not been able to stay with us on certain dates, whoever made your reservation was aware of when we were full.
We service rooms everyday but do not necessarily change towels, there is a notice in your bathroom that states if you want towels changing simply leave them in the bath. This is standard practice throughout our industry.
We provide bacon, eggs, sausage, tomato, mushrooms and potatoe with a selection of cereal, toast, tea and coffee for breakfast. This is provided via a buffet so customers like yourselves can take breakfast without delay.
Please may I ask you to consider this response for the remainder of your stay and I would ask that you also consider that it is not my staff who are to blame for you having to move when we are full.
Birmingham
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I held our wedding reception at Castle Hotel in the Tudor Suit. We can honestly say that the professionalism and service by all the hotel staff was amazing, nothing was too much trouble. Nikki talked us through everything we needed to know and was always quick at replying to any enquiries we had.

We stayed for 2 nights with lots of other friends and family and everyone was impressed with their rooms and the hotel in general.

On the day of the wedding, Kian our Master of Ceremonies was fantastic. He made sure we were happy with every detail throughout the day and we can't thank him enough. All in all we would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone thinking of staying in Tamworth or planning a wedding. Outstanding service and value.

A BIG thank you from Mr and Mrs McMahon x

2 Thank LSSCM
CastleHotelTamworth, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Thank you for your lovely review and for the kind comments about the staff who looked after you. Its also great to read that your guests enjoyed their two nights with us. It was a pleasure to contribute to your special day.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed here for our nephews wedding for one night.
Plus points: the staff were helpful and friendly; the wedding breakfast was lovely and well organised; the room had a trouser press and iron/ironing board - that's it!
The carpet in the hallway leading to the room was shabby and dirty (not a good first impression) the room itself was clean and had a new carpet, however the sink in the bathroom had a crack in it, the shower head was scaled and the grout/seal had black mildew stains. The net curtain looked like it needed a good wash or replacing. The bed was the most uncomfortable we have ever slept in! £64 a night isn't that much but we could have stayed at a better hotel not far away for the same price, we only stayed here because it was convenient for the wedding. Based on our experience we wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
I am sorry we did not meet with your expectations, however I am pleased to read that the wedding went well and of course to read the review from the bride and groom submitted on 10 August.

With any wedding the guests all have different levels of expectation and in many cases guests of the bride and groom may sometimes be used to staying in far superior and more expensive accommodation. It is also the same in reverse and we are often told by bridal couples who choose us that they do not think it is fair to their guests to expect them to pay extortionate room rates in expensive hotels when inviting them to their wedding.

I am sorry that we did not meet with your expectations but can assure you that your hosts the bride and groom choose our hotel for good reason. When we show bridal couples around, they view all the facilities including our bedrooms prior to them deciding to entrust us with the arrangements for their special day.

Had we been made aware that you were not happy with the bed at the time, we may have been able to address this, regrettably we do not know who you are or which room you stayed in which would have been useful.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Just stayed at Castle Hotel for a Family wedding. Wouldn't give this hotel any stars. We r a family of five and were put in the brewery house over the road, this was a work-mans b&b. Room shabby tired and whole house needed gutting and very poor standard. Lowest crappiest hotel I've ever stayed in, would have moved but arrived 1 hour before wedding. If u have no standards or have lived as a tramp on the streets then this is a hotel for u.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank duane r
CastleHotelTamworth, Owner at Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
I am sorry that you have had cause to write such a damning review.

We do not portray ourselves as a luxury hotel our aim however is to provide good service with value for money, which is evident from our many satisfied and returning guests. Our room rates reflect our product and we work hard to provide excellent customer service. This is exactly what attracts many of our bridal couples to host their weddings with us.

Of course, with any wedding the guests all have different levels of expectation and in many cases guests of the bride and groom may sometimes be used to staying in far superior and more expensive accommodation. It is also the same in reverse and I am often told by bridal couples who choose us that they do not think it is fair to their guests to expect them to pay extortionate room rates in expensive hotels when inviting them to their wedding.

We were not informed of your dissatisfaction during your stay and were only aware of your comment that the room wasn't big enough for 5 people. I absolutely agree with this and don't know of many hotels with rooms that are comfortable for 5 people. Whilst I appreciate it would have been more expensive you could, had you wished have booked 2 rooms with an interconnecting door.

I appreciate arriving shortly before the wedding did not allow you time to make alternative arrangements but was surprised under the circumstances to see that you extended your stay to the night after the wedding to spend the day at Drayton Manor Theme Park. Had you made us aware of your dissatisfaction we would of been more than happy to assist in resolving this for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tamworth
Holiday Inn Express Tamworth
The Gungate
The Gungate
#9 of 11 in Tamworth
Holiday Inn Express Lichfield

Been to Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!