“Local Independant Pub”

Ranked #36 of 155 Restaurants in Tamworth
Price range: US$6 - US$21
Cuisines: British, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to The Red Lion Hopwas - A Family Friendly Tamworth PubWhen you are searching for delicious and affordable pub food in Tamworth, look no further than The Red Lion Hopwas. We are an independent pub based in Hopwas near Tamworth, with a huge canal side beer garden. We are proud to boast an excellent reputation in the region which had been built up over the years by offering excellent pub food and drink and a lively atmosphere for all.Tamworth Pub FoodThe Red Lion has a team of excellent chefs that prepare and cook fresh and tasty dishes that are available from 10am. Thanks to the excellent range of food and drink available, we are sure that we will have something to suit your tastes.Tamworth Beer GardenWe have one of the largest Tamworth beer gardens, boasting a canal-side view. We are the ideal pub to visit for a nice pint or meal on a warm summer evening. We are a family friendly pub and have a large children's play area to keep the kids entertained while you enjoy a quiet meal or drink with family or friends.Family Friendly Tamworth PubOur small family run pub has been established for over 10 years and we hold traditional values very highly. We hold regular theme events including steak and fish nights, as well as poker games and darts tournaments. We are open from 10am-11pm daily and we welcome all from throughout the region who wish to enjoy some fresh, home cooked pub food for a fair price for all.
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Local Independant Pub”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Tried here the night after visiting the Tame Otter. Whilst not the most modern decor inside the beer was good and food plentiful...which to be honest is what you want from a pub.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Jayne F

Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We called for lunch today while passing through on our boat and it was excellent. My husband had a sausage and onion baguette and I had a mature cheddar and spring onion baguette and both meals were excellent. The bread was very fresh and both were served with lots of potato wedges and salad. The wedges were very tasty and the salad was really good because it consisted of slices of pepper, watercress, tomato, onion, mixed lettuce and grated carrot. We could not believe the value of this meal for the quality and amount that you get and at £7.60 for two lunches we will definately be going back.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Phoenix3_11
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Lovely food”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

We ended up here for lunch after poor service over the road. The food was tasty and simple and the service friendly. I would happily eat here again.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank MegH298
Swadlincote
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good pub food and good beer”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My wife and I ate here on Easter Monday although we were a little apprehensive given some of the reviews. However I am happy to report that we found the food very good. Yes the menu is mainly standard pub fayre with some extras, but our meals were tasty, hot and well prepared. The chips were crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. And the staff were efficient and friendly. The well kept beer added to our enjoyment, especially as it came from breweries not normally found in the area. So a good village pub in an attractive canalside location.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Mike B
“Not impressed. 40th meal.”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I had a table booked at the red lion for around 3 weeks for my dads 40th meal. There was 12 of us attending so I was told by a member of staff to write a pre order and take it in. I did. Then when we arrived at 645...45 minutes before our meal, non of the tables were put together or laid, our banners and balloons hadn't been put out like they said they would and overall organisation was appalling.
I asked at the bar when we should ask for our preordered food and she told me she was not aware a pew order had been brought in!! So even the staff hasn't been notified! I was then told it was pointless writing one as they still needed to ask.
Our food then came out and was NOT cooked. 1 steak was RAW. 2 orders were wrong and my food came out 20 minutes after everybody else!
They did not ask how our meal was or if we would like deserts and they didn't even bother to bring the birthday cake out. I had to get it myself.
Completely ruined the night and the staff were clearly not interested in their job and were extremely rude!
I will not recommend anybody to eat here. And in my opinion with 3 years waitressing experience they need to train their staff properly or get some new staff!!

• Visited April 2014