“'So disappointing it hurts'”
Review of Moat House

Moat House
Ranked #80 of 168 Restaurants in Tamworth
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 April 2014

After a stop at a local theme park, I took the family out looking for a meal. The staff at the park potentially said 'The Moat House', I wish I never listened.

Despite the luxury of the building (this is what makes it even more a shame) what lies inside was really poor. Being a farming family we know decent, simple and home-cooked food and this restaurant does not supply this.

The mashed potato was Smash, the meat was dry and my kids must of took two bites from their meals. It really ruined what was a rare and enjoyable family day out for us. I'm not usually one to criticise but after reading all the other reviews on this site I was gobsmacked.

Even the couple next us agreed at the appalling meal. AVOID! AVOID! AVOID!

3  Thank 993Bill

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Can't praise this little gem of Tamworth enough, service was excellent and food was such good value for money, will go again and again and again

3  Thank Chloe W
Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

It's been a long time since I've been the Moat House and over recent years not heard good things but from friends and family all I've heard is good comments about place since it's been took over by Jill and her team so I thought I would give it a try over Christmas. I called up spoke to a lovely lady who was very helpful she booked our party in on quite short notice and when we got there the staff couldn't do enough for us. Food was beautiful and all arrived at the same time (which is always a bonus) it was a friendly atmosphere and all the staff gave off a good vibe (which again is rare in most places) I would highly recommend to anyone to pay them a visit, we have since been back for a Sunday carvery and it was perfect but they are extremely busy so I would say book first! Keep up the good work guys you have all turned that place around :) I will defiantly be returning and will recommend you to everyone

4  Thank Tamworth86
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Visited this place for dinner after visiting the winter wonderland at the snowdome with my husband and son. I used to visit many moons ago with my family.

The setting was beautiful as we drove up to the moat house my husband loved the building. It is a lot different from my last visit much improved and a lot brighter.

The food was delicious my hubby had a lasagne and I had gammon and my boy has the kiddi's meal.

The staff were wonderful, the barman couldn't do enough for us and the waitress a New Zealand girl was brilliant in finding us a table at such short notice over Xmas.

My husband loved it so much he wanted to spend new year there but the hotel rooms were all booked up.

Ignore the bad reports this place is great and the food and staff brilliant.

Well worth a visit.

3  Thank Ruth A
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and I celebrated our Golden Wedding at the Moat House Tamworth on December 7th 2013, and I must say we had a very enjoyable time. The staff were very pleasant and helpful .The function room looked lovely.I have read the negative reports about the ceiling .This is an historic building hundreds of years old ,what do they expect.We had an amazing night with70 family and friends with good food and a great atmosphere.Thank you Jill and her staff .