“Very Disappointing”
Review of Drayton Manor Park

Drayton Manor Park
Ranked #2 of 36 things to do in Tamworth
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I book a family room way back in January and explained that we were travelling from Scotland with my young austic son and asked for priority check in rather than waiting til 3.00. This was agreed and a few days before heading I phoned again and was promised that our needs would be honoured with a note on our booking for when we arrived. We arrived and the staff were very defensive of their check in times and even with explaining that we had been travelling since 5 am we didn't get our room til after 1.00 pm after having to go through the same story.

After a long day the thought of having a bath was my way of relaxing to find the plug was faulty so not only did I have to shower so did my son who isn't used to showers.

The staff in Thomas Land were not friendly and clearly not child friendly either. The Fat Controller too was rude! He pointed out that is not his name! The service to eat both in the hotel and in the park was very slow so again not child friendly when you have a hungry young child.

I had planned to visit next year and drive through myself but after this visit I will not be going back.

The money paid for the overnight accommodation was not worth it.

5  Thank Jigjit

Reviewed 5 July 2014

this theme park is great for familys of all ages there are things to do for all ages there are plenty of places for you to picnic or cafeterias for you to eat in it is also good for dissabled people they have a mobility shop so you can book wheel chairs or motor scooters staff are really helpful

2  Thank Mary K
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We visited Drayton Manor as part of our holiday from Scotland. Our boys 5 and 2 loved it! Thomas land was great for them and they keep asking to go back. Drayton Manor it's self was busy with school trips but they weren't allowing the teenagers on the trips into Thomas land to keep it just younger children which I thought was great. The zoo was OK could of done with better sign posts and map to make sure you seen it all but kids liked it. One downfall was the prices! It was already expensive to get in although you get your tickets online much cheaper than on the gate but once in the park prices were ridiculous. The Thomas shop was so over priced it was unbelievable. There is various photo points but at £8 for a photo these soon add up. Food was extortionate thankfully we had a picnic but even juice and ice cream was expensive and the fun fair stalls were really expensive too. I think to make the place better for families it needs to either be cheaper entry prices or cheaper once in the park. The bigger rides looked good and everyone seemed to be having a good time. The toilets were clean. None of the staff looked particularly happy or were that friendly unless trying to sell you something. Overall the kids loved it and had a great day as their first theme park experience I would definitely recommend it.

2  Thank MelissaR2329
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Firstly the cost - we bought online a few days before and saved a lot on the normal gate price so £70 for the family I thought was ok as we have paid the same-ish for attractions that are nowhere near as good. Although I agree with some reviewers that the car park charge of £3 is a total rip off. It's not the cost - £3 for a days parking is not bad but the ticket price is enough to justify not charging for parking.

We arrived just after the rides open at 10.30 on a Friday and it was really busy. Some of the Thomas rides had quite long queues - although these could have been shorter by less faffing by the staff (or more staff) getting people on and off. Also some rides were half empty....I think because if a parent is on the ride it halves the capacity. They probably should have thought about this when designing the rides given their target audience. A parent is always going to want or need to accompany a child under 4, I would say.

Given the queuing first thing we took the train to the zoo, adventure playground area where it was quieter and then went back to the Thomas rides after lunch and the queues were more or less gone then for the rest of the afternoon :-) I guess you wouldn't get away with this in the school holidays.

The kids play area is really good and the zoo was fine...not massive but enough to hold the kids interest for a little while. They quite enjoyed the dino trail too and loved the train ride there and back. We ate in the cafe near the kids playground which was a mixed bag. The kids meal deal I thought was quite good: ham or cheese roll, quavers, cucumber and carrot sticks and 2 mini muffins (other choices available) but the adult food was a bit crap. Should have known this really....take a picnic, there's loads of spaces to sit and eat and it's only a short walk back to the car to collect or dump the picnic bag. We spent around £25 on rubbish food for which we could have had a really good picnic, which would have been much nicer for much less.

The rides are great in Thomas land with a mixture of stuff that would appeal to kids from 2 or 3 right up 8 or 9 I would say. Mine are 4 and 7 and they both loved it with the little one on the slower merry go round type rides and the 7 year old dragging us on the little rollercoaster and the older stuff. They also had their photo taken with Thomas which was extortionate at £8 but you have to expect this at these places.

We stayed until 3.30pm, we could have stayed much longer but an exhausted 4 year old called it a day. You can easily have a full day out here which I think makes it good value for the online price. Just don't forget that picnic.

6  Thank Lowey73
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We took our son to Thomas Land yesterday. Stayed in the Drayton Manor hotel the night before booked a Thomas themed Room. Our son loved it from the DVD"s that are part of the bedroom package to the Thomas Character breakfast where your child gets a certificate & has a Thomas Sing a long. Good day out but do think for the price of themed room £170 per night should get much for your money. My son loved it that's the main thing.

1  Thank Sprintgirl2014