“Definitely take the family”

The Dog and Partridge
Ranked #1 of 67 Restaurants in Uttoxeter
Cuisines: British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Dog and Partridge, Traditional Pub and Dining, in the delightful village of Marchington, Staffordshire. Fantastic food, drink and a superb relaxed atmosphere. The pub has a rich and colourful history dating back to the Georgian era, bursting with character and our friendly staff will always make you feel at home. There is a delicious selection of wines, spirits and beers including locally brewed real ales and fresh, delicious meals all made using the highest quality produce. We can take bookings for up to 50 people if attending local attractions like Uttoxeter Races and Alton Towers - please book in advance. Opening hours: Monday - Thursday: 12 noon - 3pm & then 6pm - 11pm Every Wednesday is Steak & Wine night offering Steak and a Glass of Wine from only £12.95 Fridays: 12noon - 3pm & then 5pm - Midnight Saturdays: Open all day from 12 noon - Midnight. Sundays: Open all day from 12pm with Sunday Lunch served until 4pm. Sunday Music Club from 5 pm. Please have a look at our delicious menu and give us a call to reserve a table. We also offer free Wifi!
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Decided to try somewhere new in the Uttoxeter area so went to the dog and Partridge. Party of 4 adults and 3 kids so booked early. Easy to find and a very pleasant country pub. Great service, welcomed immediately with excellent food for all. Just a shame I didn't have room for dessert! Definitely visit again and take the parents next time :-) xx

1  Thank Emily H
Paul N, Owner at The Dog and Partridge, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Thanks for your kind words Emily, glad you and your party enjoyed your visit and we hope you'll come back soon and recommend us to your friends and family

Reviewed 13 November 2013

This pub was recommended to me by a friend so my wife and I decided to have a day out in the country ( about an hours drive from Solihull) to have lunch there on 13/11/2013. The food was very good and we had an enjoyable day out in Marchington exploring the pretty old village.

Hi there

pleased you enjoyed your visit and thought our menu was good value for money.
And yes Marchington is a lovely village and played a huge part in our decision to move here 14 months ago.
Hopefully you will pop in again whenever you are in the area

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Thank you all at the Dog and Partridge in Marchington, Uttoxeter. It is the first time my husband and myself have been there and we had a lovely Sunday lunch. The food was superb and the choice was excellent. The staff we brilliant and friendly. Service was great. Food was fresh and not frozen, lots of veg. too. Desserts to die for as were the starters.

I am going to book for my 65th birthday due next month ( December ) hope my family can join us, our daughter and husband and our 3 year old grandson live in the village and our son in law goes to the Dog and Partridge most weeks for a meal and a pint.

Our son and daughter in law live in Berkshire and I hope they can come and enjoy good food and a lovely family meal..

We are looking forward to a lovely time and great food again.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for your great review Susan and yes it would be great if you can get the family together and visit us again in December.
I think we offer a pretty good Sunday Lunch if we say so ourselves and we hope more people will come along and try us out!!

thanks again

Reviewed 1 November 2013

I was looking for somewhere I'd not been to before for my birthday dinner for my sisters and my families. I found The Dog and Partridge reviews and made the reservation.

Firstly the location is excellent, tucked away in a quite village and the place has a real country pub decor and feel. We were well received and had a nice table at one end of the pub for our party of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids).

The menu is excellent and I can't think of many locally that compare. There is a broad choice including traditional English style fare but also plenty of seafood and vegetarian options. Choosing what to have took some time. The only criticism I would have is a lack of a dedicated children's menu, however the staff were happy to provide smaller portions from the menu for the kids.

In the end I had the soup of the day (Autumn vegetable), the Beef and Stilton pie and then the chocolate and caramel roulade. All were very good with the roulade particularly delicious. All dishes served to the group looked good and positive comments were made by all. In fact I struggle to recall seven as clean plates following a meal for some time. The food here is a definite 5 stars.

The only real disappointment was that the enthusiasm of the waitress did not match the standards of the food. Whilst polite she seemed a little disinterested (forgetting a coffee for our table and gravy for the adjoining one) and unfortunately the conversation in the car home was as much about her as the excellent food.

We all had a thoroughly enjoyable meal and I would definitely recommend to friends and plan to return ourselves. I've rated 4 stars overall but I do feel a little harsh in doing so but can't quite justify 5 stars overall..

Paul N, Owner at The Dog and Partridge, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

thank you for your kind comments about the food. i have taken on board your comments about the waitress, although Not knowing which night you dined with us and having different waitresses each evening it will be hard to pin point which member of staff served you! Generally the girls that work here are very upbeat and helpful, so our appology there.
Reference children's meals, the general consensus is the majority of families like the fact that we offer small portions on virtually everything we do and steer clear of the standard chicken nuggets fayre that children generally get stuck with, that is not to say we won't offer the usual items up if requested.
I hope you will visit us again in the future

Reviewed 31 October 2013

It was a prebooked evening with a guy talking about ghosts in the area and food. The chicken and leek was delicious and my husbands beef and Stilton pie was excellent too. Great evening, food was exceptional, great atmosphere and entertainment. Excellent value for money. And cant wait for the next do.

Glad you enjoyed the evening, it took a labour of love from my wife on the decorating front but I too was chuffed with the finished item.
Peter Elliot I have known for many years from my time in Derby running the older pubs in Derby where Ghost walks are held (Peter currently runs evening from The Exeter in derby once a month, well worth booking a night out) and he is very entertaining.
We are planning more events in the new year, I think we are penciling a murder mystery evening with Peter around March, Keep your eyes peeled on our website or alternatively join our mailing list for updates