“Nice Break but beware Romantic Weekends”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We arrived on Friday late afternoon, treating us for a romantic break from hectic London. The arrival was unpleasant as the team was flat out with late departures, arrivals, function guests etc. After 10 min wait for a luggage porter to show us to our room we gave up and reconnoitred ourselves. The idea of theming your rooms after botanical names is cute but unpractical - no logic for the non Alan Titchmarch minded guests, also, signage is not very much found. Given that you have a lot of - very friendly and accommodating housekeeping staff - you have to admit, that Pine Tree, Palm Tree, Pear Tree can be easily misinterpreted. No joy with Arrival.
The room was functional, well equipped, the most elaborate shower I have seen short of Las Vegas (themed and multi-led light settings). No mini-bar though - I don't like to have tea with warm milk in the morning but waiting for Room Service to deliver???? Needs improvement
The Fine Dining Restaurant - Latymer - was exceptional, the only question I have - why offering only 2 tasting menus, I rather prefer a smaller selection - selection is the keyword here. The sommelier is brilliant, charming, well versed and very competent in matching food and wine - worth the money and certainly the 2 Michelin stars!
Breakfast was brutal - buffet style and loud, it felt more like a mess-hall, same as the Spa...hence my title: the pool and recreation facilities are vast, a ton of treatment rooms ( our treatment was nice and the therapist pleasant, but nothing exceptional)- because this place is like a factory on weekends! Too many people running around, the out-door pool has 120 odd sunlounges - goodbye romantic togetherness...unless, you like this kind of brake ( like a cruise ship).
All in all a nice break, excellent food and welcoming staff members, but chose your time to relax and romance or party wisely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrReeder
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Thank you for your review. Our outside pool and bar has definitely been the main attraction with the sunny weather we have been having lately. Our quieter days do tend to be midweek. We hope to welcome you back at some point. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have visited PH before and was very impressed. Rather disappointingly, on our second visit we were drastically let down by the spa. My husband and I returned to PH for our anniversary (and on my recommendation). Positives and (more) negatives below:-

Positives:-
- Excellent room in the old building looking out across the grounds - beautiful large windows and well appointed;
- Professional front of house staff within the hotel itself;
- Good spa services - spa seemed quieter during this visit which was nice.

Negatives:-
- Room very warm and no air-con. If staying in the summer it would simply be too hot (fans provided but somehow this isn't very 5 star!);
- Noise from room next door late at night/early morning was significant. This seemed to be from the water pipes but was loud enough to wake you;
- TV in bathroom didn't work - okay not the biggest complaint but when you pay for 5 star accomodation it is always disappointing when there are faults. We did receive a complimentary glass of wine each as an apology which was appreciated;
- Service in spa - truly appauling! The spa itself is great (albeit it is frustrating that on both visits there have been at least 2/3 spa services out of order each time). The spa staff, however, really let it down. Ordered a cream tea as a surprise for my husband on our anniversary - the food was half an hour late and only arrived after I chased for it. The cream tea was meant to come with sparkling wine - I was initially told I could only have tea or coffee and not sparkling wine. After a row (which doesn't go hand in hand with a relaxing spa break) this was resolved. However, the front of house spa staff member who initially dealt with the complaint was particulary indifferent and customer service was at an all time low. Rather insaultingly, after receiving such appauling service, said staff member still felt it necessary to charge me for a glass of diet coke - thereby adding insult to injury;
- Cream tea itself - very poor. Have experienced cream teas at the Langham and other 5 star establishments. The cream tea at PH really wasn't comparable. Dry (and not warm) scones, mediocre cakes, very small serving of sandwiches and my pet hate...dry bread. Would definitely not recommend;
- Food in brasserie - very average. If I return, I will probably eat away from the hotel next time. Expensive for the quality of food.

Would I return? Maybe if the spa sorts itself out. It is disappointing for me to write this review because I was a huge fan of PH after my first visit and I did nothing but rave about the hotel and spa. However, this time, and on what should have been a wonderfully relaxing anniversary break, we were unforgiveably let down by PH.

Room Tip: Avoid the cream tea. Do your research about the rooms before booking - these vary significantly.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katia4444
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Recently stayed at the Pennyhill Hotel and Spa and it was absolutely lovely. From the fast checking in at Reception, to the beautifully appointed room. We dined in the Brasserie which was a fantastic meal perfect in every way. We had cocktails before and after the meal which were scrummy, the service was friendly and prompt. We were blessed with fantastic weather so spent two days out by the beautiful Pool area. I feel we were very lucky to have been dealt with by Laura who was fantastic and made our stay exceptional. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank elmerlisa

Thank you for your review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I don't know if we were just unlucky but we had a disappointing one night stay.

Yes, the spa is amazing, the building and grounds are pretty but it seems that's what they rely on.

Our room wasn't great with a chipped bath with a central shower above it with a rubber mat and a shower curtain - felt incredibly dated. Our room was noisy; we were on the ground floor and we could hear the people above us moving around, their mobile phones going off and even their early morning call. The air conditioning was a window and the room was very hot - would have expected a luxury hotel to have aircon. We felt the food was decent but again expensive and the mark-up on wine was extreme.

The buffet breakfast cost 40 pounds for two and was stone cold.

Also on check-in our room wasn't ready, not a problem...we went to the bar. When we did get to our room our luggage including laptops had been put into the room (ground floor remember) with the window left wide open. Nothing happened but seriously?

Very over-rated and living off the reputation of the spa. As a hotel the similarly priced Tylney Hall in Rotherwick and Foxhills in Ottershaw are much better in our opinion.

We won't be hurrying back.

Room Tip: Don't take a downstairs one unless you like hearing people tramp about above you.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maw0504
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Just returned from a mini break at Pennyhill and I cannot recommend this place highly enough! From the food, treatments and especially the service, we had one of the most fantastic, relaxing stays we've had anywhere! And a special thanks to Laura in guest relations for going above and beyond sorting out a couple of requests that made our stay that bit more extra special.

• Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for posting your lovely review. I am so pleased that the team made you feel welcome. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 20 July 2014

I was taken here by my daughter and granddaughters for a spa day and afternoon tea as a birthday treat.
What an experience - definitely makes you want to return.
Was a very hot day so spent most of it outside. Great ambiance,quiet ,shady areas and a very
good sized swimming pool. (Likewise indoors for inclement weather).
Served a very impressive tea( catered for various diet intolerances and dislikes!) - nothing seemed too much trouble.
Finished off with a spa treatment.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your spa day. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I had my wedding reception at Pennyhill Park back in 1986 and have visited many times since then with friends and family for overnight stays, spa visits, afternoon tea, and lunches and evening meals in the Brasserie and Latymer restaurants. Have also been to the outdoor theatre productions with picnic. We have never been disappointed with any aspect of the facilities, staff or dining experience, and always look forward to going.

The hotel and grounds are beautiful and the spa is stunning,

Most recently dined in the Latymer restaurant earlier this month and as always had wonderful meal and all round experience. All the staff are polite and have the right balance of being friendly and professional at all times,

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review following your most recent stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again. Kind regards Julian

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!