“An expensive night out in an unfriendly hotel...”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
London
“An expensive night out in an unfriendly hotel...”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Maybe these places become too big and corporate. Spent an overnight here in July 2014.

Was a sunny day, so managed to sit out by the pool in the afternoon. Spa nice. Treatments extortionate ... So didn't bother... Staff cold and unfriendly... especially by the pool...

Upon arriving at the spa were told where we were not allowed to sit! VIP area only.... nice elite attitude.... Gym was nice... Pools were freezing....

Room was OK for money... Bed lovely though.... Shower also great... As you would expect...

Generally I think the place concentrates on Weddings and corporate events as well as day spas. I thought it was very impersonal... Was a wedding anniversary for us... usually when places know this they comp you a bottle of champagne or some chocolates... They didn't. Small details make all the difference....

Restaurant (bistro one) was average - expensive and average.... Nothing to rush back for... they had included a credit for £40 per head in booking price...although restaurant had no knowledge of this.... Wine and cocktails expensive...

So it was a completely unmemorable hotel experience - made great only by the friends we went with!... Personally I would never go back.... even though its only half an hour away!...

Check out was hilarious - was as if the receptionist had never heard of 'numbers'... making the simplest of maths tasks look ever so complex was very well executed! What should have taken 20 sends...didnt!! Again unfriendly and a fitting end to a place that have lost sight of the smaller details in favour of the corporate machine.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheUndercoverTourist
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Thank you for your review, whilst I was pleased that you enjoyed the room I was concerned about your other feedback. We do have a membership of the Spa and part of the membership offering is a private area for members only. I would be very pleased to speak to you at your convenience about all matters and ask you to contact me directly 01276 478 426.
Kind regards Julian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We were welcomed by very courteous staff. We stayed in the impressive main building in a room that was traditional and luxurious. Very Country Living. The Spa was fantastic. There was ongoing building work during our stay and the hotel notified us prior to arrival and it did not affect our stay. Looking forward to returning and seeing the completed work.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have stayed at Pennyhill on three separate occasions both times we have had a fantastic time. The rooms are sumptuous, with unsurpassable levels of comfort. The staff are bright and attentive,they do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The facilities are great and the treatments were first class. I would add though that we had good weather for our stay and with the bulk of the spa being outside, it might not be so great in poor weather. Lastly a word or two about the breakfast, it is immense. I have never in my life experienced such choice or quality. When we were staying, the England rugby team was there and they got to the buffet before me, I panicked at first wondering if they'd be any left, my concerns were unnecessary and I feasted beyond my contentment.

Norristown, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Visited a while ago. My wife and I stayed here in the week leading up to Easter. I also stayed here a few times on business. An absolutely lovely place to stay and relax. The spa is awesome! the rooms are nicely laid out. The location is convenient to two train stations. The Bagshot station is a short walk away. The staff was friendly. We did have an unfortunate incident with someone breaking into our room! We actually walked in on him thinking he was staff.

Room Tip: As mentioned, the Bagshot station is within walking distance to catch a train into London. There ar...
2 Thank D T
London
Reviewed 25 August 2014

This is a perfect hotel if you love spa breaks and has some of the best facilities around. There are numerous indoor and outdoor pools that make both summer and winter stays that little bit more relaxing. We stayed in a traditional room which was huge and had a four poster bed in the middle. This was a little different in terms of style than we would usually opt for, but it was a great stay. The highlight had to be eating at Marcus Waring's Latymer Restaurant. We had the 10 course tasting option and it was an incredible experience. I'd definitely recommend this place to other guests.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel is amazing: it's definitely a relaxing place to go, keeping in line with the spa theme. I don't normally ask for much from the staff when I stay at hotels however on every dealing I had with them they were very helpful and very friendly. I'd describe the customer service as excellent as a result. The bedrooms are huge and, although the place is themed a bit like a mediaeval castle, the rooms have modern amenities as a whole and very much look high quality. My room had a separate lounge and downstairs WC, as well as a huge bedroom upstairs with a huge upstairs en suite bathroom also: had a bath, 2 sinks, shower, loo, bidet and must have been approx 15 to 18 metres square. The bedroom must have been approx 20 metres square. The the downstairs was the same size as both rooms added up again. The room has an excellent ambience. The room has a TV upstairs and downstairs and a little tablet computer. Free WiFi as well in the whole hotel. The only negatives were that my room did not have air con though I understand that some rooms do have air con too: if booking in the summer I would recommend making sure your room does have air con. In this day and age I think really all the rooms should have air con though I did have a ceiling fan. The other annoying thing was that the taps in my room were very small: I.e. the taps were tiny so that the water only just fell into the very corner of the large sinks. I hate when public buildings have this because it means you can't wash your hands without touching the sink bowl, and frankly it smacks of pinny pinching (ie buying a small £10 tap rather than a larger £20-30 tap) which is a Shame as in most other respects this is a very opulent hotel. Also the water flow in the rooms taps was quite slow which is a Shame cos it takes ages to wash your hands. Other than that though, this place was excellent.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We had been looking forward to our stay at Pennyhill Park but were so disappointed. The place reminded us of a Butlin's holiday camp... The outdoor Jacuzzis were heaving and lots of people were wandering around in dressing gowns. The bar area was huge with awful decor and no atmosphere. To add to this our bathroom was in dire need of refurbishment with an odd smell and black mould in the shower. The only saving grace was the bed was very comfortable and the room very quiet. The reason for our stay was to eat at the Latymer restaurant which was amazing but we couldn't wait to leave the next morning. Needless to say we shall not return.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Timetraveller86
Thank you for your review, I was so sorry to learn of your comments and have discussed them with the team. The Spa is over 45,000 square feet of interior space with a significant out door area too with eight different pools; there are many areas to find quieter spots. Naturally there will be guests wearing robes as they have been enjoying the Spa.
Inside the hotel we have the Ascot Bar which is a spacious room and have many guests that very much enjoy the ambiance. We also have the Drawing Room which is far more intimate and again serves drinks and such and feel that this area may have been more to your liking.
The Larch room has since had a total refresh of the bathroom.
I hope that you will contact me personally for any assistance in the future.
Kind regards Julian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!