“Heaven on earth”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We recently visited Pennyhill Park, I had visited before about 5 years ago but had forgotten just how amazing this spa hotel was. On driving up the tree lined driveway we were met with a feeling of complete tranquility. The grounds are immaculate. Check in was quick, smooth and easy - the receptionist was very friendly and smiley. We were shown to our room by a very informative and friendly bellboy which was a lovely suite, beautifully decorated with a lovely few of the grounds and outdoor pool with a tv in each room including the bathroom which my husband was very happy with as he could watch sports even in the bath!

As we were celebrating my husbands birthday we were greeted in the room with a lovely personalised chocolate cake and a handwritten greeting card, I thought this was a nice and thoughtful touch and continued the feeling of a small hotel feel even though it is actually quite large hotel.

All areas of the hotel including our suite, the communal areas, restaurants, bar etc were beautifully decorated and again just like the grounds immaculate.

We visited the spa on both days and wow, everything about this place was amazing from the numerous pools, to the outside area, herbal sauna, ice cave and much more. There were lovely touches such a free apples and waters and the changing rooms were great with hair dryers and ghd's, endless supply of towels, robes and slipper with staff always on hand to help.

My husband thoroughly enjoyed his massage, saying it was one of the best he had ever had. The sensory room was a great find, 5 waterbeds and just candles in a cosy room was a brilliant place for an afternoon nap.

We took dinner in the Brasserie which was very enjoyable and they were very accommodating even though we were 25 minutes late. Dinner was served at a nice pace and not rushed with helpful and friendly staff - our waitress was fantastic - I cant recollect her name but she was a young girl with brown hair, she was extremely informative and helpful when we were making our selections. The food was a grill affair, starters we took a terrine and a feta salad special - delicious. The main course however was the star of the show - beef fillet with bbq jacobs ladder and sweet potato fries, gorgeous and just the right size. we managed to squeeze in puddings of a chocolate panacotta and a creme brulee, again well presented and tasted great. Good wine selections and we were able to finish our wine in the ascot bar which was lovely as they had a pianist.

We thoroughly enjoyed every minute of our stay and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the facilities and restaurants we have. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 26 August 2014

We've just returned from a 2 night stay over the August bank holiday weekend. We booked through Secret Escapes and took advantage of an amazing 50% off (approx.) the hotel's standard room rates with breakfast and a £40 per person allocation towards dinner in the brasserie on our 2nd night. Best deal ever!

Firstly, our experience dealing with reservations was first class. We emailed ahead of arrival with a request for a modern room with air conditioning as we understood that not all rooms have air conditioning and some are more 'traditional' than others. Our request was quickly confirmed together with confirmation of a reservation being made in the restaurant on our behalf. I was pleasantly impressed by the experience before even arriving!

On arrival check-in was smooth and the concierge was very professional and friendly. The room (being a traditional junior suite) wasn't as modern as we would have hoped even though we were told that it was one of the more modern ones. We asked about an upgrade and were shown "Violet" which is a deluxe junior suite. I would highly recommend this room as it has recently been refurbished. Although it has no view over the grounds or spa, it has excellent facilities including a double bath with an aquavision tv. We paid an extra £40 per night for the upgrade and were very satisfied having done so.

If someone from the hotel is reading I would recommend that you :- (1) put a bin in the room - where are we meant to put rubbish? (2) make sure the TV and sound system are plugged in and working before guests arrive - I had to do this myself (3) consider changing the lighting so guests can control the lighting from upstairs, because you have to turn some of the lights off to see the TV in the bath properly, which are only controlled from downstairs; and (4) replace some of the numerous bulbs that are burnt out in the chandeliers and wall lights.

The Spa is fantastic as other reviewers have also confirmed, but we noticed the following shortfalls since our last visit (3 or 4 years ago).

The staff need to focus more on general cleanliness. My partner had spent an entire hour in the indoor pool area and noted that nobody had come in to clear away empty glasses that were around the Jacuzzi area or remove dirty unused towels from the beds. When she pointed this out to me I then brought to her attention that she had spent an hour in the Jacuzzi which had someone's plaster floating around in it. She was obviously not impressed. I also noticed that the fixtures and fittings around the lights were suffering from some corrosion which were in desperate need of either cleaning or replacing.

In the men's changing rooms there were always staff around but on two occasions I was unable to find myself a robe. They just weren't being replaced quick enough. Even when I did find one it obviously needed to be replaced as it had a hole in it. This is understandable for a venue that has so many guests, but when you pay as much as some people do on their annual holiday overseas to come here, you expect staff to keep the areas clean at all times and to replace the robes and towels when they have holes in them! The gym was well equipped though and I enjoyed using it.

Finally I would like to give some more feedback on the hotel and staff. We found that all of the restaurant and bar staff were amazing. As always, they make every dining occasion a delightful experience. The housekeeping staff were also very good. I met a woman twice, who I can only assume was the head housemaid, who was checking that housekeeping was satisfactory, which it was.

The two major shortfalls we found were the receptionists and the room service staff. In their defence, the receptionists were probably being too efficient, as they came across cold at times and were rushing when talking to you both face to face and on the phone. I would suggest that they take their time and be more personable. As an example, when everyone is checking out at the same time we are prepared to wait. We would rather wait and be treated courteously rather than feel like we are being rushed when checking the final invoice. The concierge and porters made up for this experience by collecting everyone's cars from the car park and loading luggage when it was raining quite heavily.

The worst part of our stay was the room service. On our 1st night we ordered room service, from what was quite an inadequate menu in my opinion. I had a caesar salad which was fine, my partner asked for a prawn sandwich which was returned as the bread had turned dry. I know they have their own bakery, but on the whole I didn't enjoy the bread here. The sandwich was £10 but fell short of what you could buy in a supermarket. Very disappointing. On our 2nd morning we called room service at about 0915 and were pleased to hear that they could accommodate at such notice. When the food arrived the tray was placed on our table and we were asked "do you want to check everything is there?". What happened to laying the table for us? Needless to say, everything was not there.

The porridge I had asked for was barely warm and I had to drain liquid from my scrambled egg. My partner had asked for poached eggs with her full English breakfast and received only 2 poached eggs. We were told that he would rush down and get the rest of her breakfast, and he turned up about 30 minutes later with the excuse "sorry 'he' just wrote down 'poached eggs' and we had to cook a fresh breakfast from scratch". I never quite understood this comment when there is a buffet downstairs. I think that the room service staff need some more training. They were obviously young and inexperienced.

As I have suggested, housekeeping were very good, but we returned to our room at about 4pm on the 2nd day to find that our room had not been serviced. We still had dirty plates from the night before in there. We called the front desk who we felt quite rudely implied that we were asking for a turndown service early at 4pm. We made it quite clear the room was dirty, listened to a cold apology, and asked them to bring us some champagne flutes and an ice bucket. This then turned into about a 30 minute circus show of young boys rushing around with 2 ice buckets, making statements such as "room service are so busy". When housekeeping did arrive, a single woman then started having an argument in the bathroom, with who I can only assume was her supervisor. A few minutes later a small army of housemaids arrived to finish the room. We were both quite relaxed after a day at the Spa but the hotel staff quickly brought us back to reality.

On reflection I feel like I have run this place down, but I am only highlighting shortfalls during what was a very good experience overall. We enjoyed ourselves here and we would return. I hope that next time the issues I've raised will have been addressed. I would highly recommend the room "Violet" but I wouldn't recommend staying here unless you are taking advantage of a discounted rate. When I see another deal I will consider returning.

Room Tip: You may need to upgrade to a Deluxe Junior Suite to get anything that isn't Traditional décor.
2  Thank Eidorian

Thank you very much for your detailed review and I have noted all your feedback comments. I have discussed them with the Reception, Housekeeping and Room Service teams to ensure that they are followed up and action taken to ensure these issues are resolved. We have an ongoing programme to update the bedrooms and the spa and you will continue to see refurbishments each time you return. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Visited here with my boyfriend in June, he lives nearby and I live in wales so he took me out for some drinks. We see here on a Monday night so it was fairly quiet, quite impressed with the drinks menu, me and my partner both had a pimms, my first one ever and I must say it was so good, plenty of fresh fruit and veg in it too. I then had a passion fruit mojito and by god was it good! So fruity and beautiful, by far one of the best I've ever had and text again, a fresh passion fruit on the side for decor. At £15 a cocktail it was very good value! Will definitely visit again, maybe even for the spa!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tori
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your cocktails. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Wow. Wow. I found Pennyhill Park and The Spa by simply searching for 'lovely hotels in Surrey', and although I was impressed after viewing the short promotional video online, that didn't prepare us for the phenomenal facilities that we encountered when we arrived. The Spa is absolutely second to none, it's out-of-this-world good from the hugely impressive indoor and outdoor pools (indoor pool plays underwater music for you), to the massive Jacuzzis, to the many steam rooms and saunas, to the plunge pool and innovative Ice Cave, to the 21 different treatment rooms and the surprising Relaxation Room, to the gym (where you might even see Johnny Wilkinson). Oh and the treatments are lovely too. You can happily lose yourself in there for a few days.
And the rooms themselves are great too, we had Junior Suite with an impressive bath in the main room and a lovely enormous shower/wet room. Beds were soooooo comfy. We had a slight problem with our room when we arrived (blind missing in bathroom window); I called reception and Maintenance were up in our room seeing to the issue five minutes later which was much appreciated.
The breakfast (which is included) is really impressive too, there is so much choice and it's all delicious. We ate in the Brasserie one evening; it's expensive but the food was very good and in all it was a lovely experience.
On top of it all, we found the staff so incredibly helpful and pleasant. There is nothing they wouldn't do for you, and absolutely everyone who worked there made pleasant conversation with us wherever we went. They were really top notch.
We were so impressed with this gem of a place, already planning our next trip back. A fabulous place to get away from it all and unwind for a few days.

Room Tip: Apparently there is a suite called 'Violet' which is two stories; the staircase goes from th...

Dear Dave and Allison
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Maybe these places become too big and corporate. Spent an overnight here in July 2014.

Was a sunny day, so managed to sit out by the pool in the afternoon. Spa nice. Treatments extortionate ... So didn't bother... Staff cold and unfriendly... especially by the pool...

Upon arriving at the spa were told where we were not allowed to sit! VIP area only.... nice elite attitude.... Gym was nice... Pools were freezing....

Room was OK for money... Bed lovely though.... Shower also great... As you would expect...

Generally I think the place concentrates on Weddings and corporate events as well as day spas. I thought it was very impersonal... Was a wedding anniversary for us... usually when places know this they comp you a bottle of champagne or some chocolates... They didn't. Small details make all the difference....

Restaurant (bistro one) was average - expensive and average.... Nothing to rush back for... they had included a credit for £40 per head in booking price...although restaurant had no knowledge of this.... Wine and cocktails expensive...

So it was a completely unmemorable hotel experience - made great only by the friends we went with!... Personally I would never go back.... even though its only half an hour away!...

Check out was hilarious - was as if the receptionist had never heard of 'numbers'... making the simplest of maths tasks look ever so complex was very well executed! What should have taken 20 sends...didnt!! Again unfriendly and a fitting end to a place that have lost sight of the smaller details in favour of the corporate machine.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TheUndercoverTourist
JulianTomlin, General Manager at Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Thank you for your review, whilst I was pleased that you enjoyed the room I was concerned about your other feedback. We do have a membership of the Spa and part of the membership offering is a private area for members only. I would be very pleased to speak to you at your convenience about all matters and ask you to contact me directly 01276 478 426.
Kind regards Julian

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We were welcomed by very courteous staff. We stayed in the impressive main building in a room that was traditional and luxurious. Very Country Living. The Spa was fantastic. There was ongoing building work during our stay and the hotel notified us prior to arrival and it did not affect our stay. Looking forward to returning and seeing the completed work.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have stayed at Pennyhill on three separate occasions both times we have had a fantastic time. The rooms are sumptuous, with unsurpassable levels of comfort. The staff are bright and attentive,they do everything they can to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. The facilities are great and the treatments were first class. I would add though that we had good weather for our stay and with the bulk of the spa being outside, it might not be so great in poor weather. Lastly a word or two about the breakfast, it is immense. I have never in my life experienced such choice or quality. When we were staying, the England rugby team was there and they got to the buffet before me, I panicked at first wondering if they'd be any left, my concerns were unnecessary and I feasted beyond my contentment.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!