“The Best Spa and country setting”

Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bagshot
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We stayed at the Pennyhill Park Hotel as part of a team bonding trip with work but it could effortlessley be a romantic getaway location or an extravagant Hen Do. The Spa is amazing-even the locker rooms are plush with swinging benches in them! We shuffled about in our huge robes and slippers around the grounds. The spa has everything from masage chairs looking out over the grounds to an icy plunge pool, aromatherapy steam rooms with optic fibre lighting. I recall about 7 different spa rooms! Come here for the spa-not the food sadly though the buildings are stunning. There are other activities on site such as archery and clay pigeon shooting. All the rooms are different so be sure to ask for details as some of the lads ended up in small basic rooms while some of us had 2 level rooms with footed baths at the end of the bed! I would definatley recommend a stay at the Pennyhill Park is a plush Spa is your thing.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed 21 December 2008

We did not actually stay at the hotel but had a family get-to-gether (10 us in total) to celebrate my Mum's birthday. We had tea, which consisted of a selection of sandwiches, cakes and scones with jam and cream. At £22 per head, we were expecting something special. Unfortunately we were disappointed. The scones were more like large biscuits and the raisins tasted burnt. The strawberry tarts disintegrated as soon as you tried to pick them up. I suspect a lot of it has been frozen. We did not complain as it was meant to be a family celebration and we did not want to upset my Mum. We have just put in down to experience and will not be going back!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank candybarLondon
Reviewed 4 November 2008

I have stayed in hotels all over the world but this hotel is outstanding. Yes the prices in this kind of hotel are quite expensive but if you stay in any top class hotel it is the same, it is not unique to this hotel, but take it from me this one is worth the treat.

My aunt and I booked a 1 night spa break which was fantastic value for money, we got access to the spa for both the days we were there, a 1 hour treatment, evening meal in the Brasserie and had a great breakfast all for £175 each! When we added up what was included in the price the hotel room cost us £35 each.

We arrived early on our first day and the staff at the hotel were more than happy to store our luggage whilst we nipped off to the Spa. The Spa is outstanding, the best I have been to, I had 2 treatments and the staff there were fantastic. The Spa treatments are pricey but to be honest they are normally expensive at any hotel spa, I decided to have a Mikiri facial as my inclusive treatment, this would normally cost £95. The inside pool is beautiful. The only gripe I have was with the Spa Restaurant, Themis, I didn't think they had a fantastic choice on the menu but the sweet potatoe frittata (omlette to you and me!) was fine. The glass of chamgagne I had was great though! Don't think going into a spa is just for the ladies, this was being used by a lot of couples who were staying at the hotel, but there is a small area just for ladies and I think there was one for the men as well. Great outside jacuzzi that you enter from inside the spa. They also had a beautiful pool outside (for a warm day!)

As to the hotel, our luggage had been sent to our room when we left the Spa and our room was lovely, newly refurbished, a deluxe double. The bathroom was a sight to behold, great shower with over head and side jets, his and hers sinks and a TV at the end of the bath! The only let down in the room was the tired looking firniture but who cares about the furniture anyway!

We had a drink in the Ascot bar before we went in for dinner, there was a pianist playing background music which was very nice. Try the Dolce Vita champagne cocktail it is fantastic.

The Brasserie is lovely and the food was superb. The service was excellant. We also had breakfast in the Brasserie the next morning, what a choice including healthy smoothies should you feel so inclined, homemade muffins and pastries and a hot buffet including 2 types of sausages, 2 types of bacon, 2 types of mushrooms, black/white pudding, grilled tomatoes, hash browns, beans and eggs to order, you won't go hungry!!

Considering this a top class hotel (they have many celebrities staying here) the staff are not at all snobbish, they made us feel very comfortable and very welcome. We even had the England rugby team staying with us as their official training facilities are in the hotel grounds. There is a lovely open fire in the lobby area which looked beautiful, great place to sit and read your paper on a cold day.

I enjoyed this hotel so much my husband and I have decided to spend a weekend here very soon. Treat yourself, it is worth it.

• Stayed: October 2008
Reviewed 3 November 2008

We stayed at Pennyhill for 2 nights as a birthday treat. We were checked in to the fabulous "Royal Ascot" suite - a vast set of very luxurious rooms. The flat screen TV in the lounge was enhanced with Bose speakers, the bed was huge and comfortable and the bathroom was simply huge! The Spa at Pennyhill is its real strength - I doubt that there can be a better spa in Europe. Treatments are unhurried and provided by very professional staff. The "Thermal Heaven" complex of saunas, steam rooms, aromatherapy rooms, hot tubs and pools is like a spa theme park - you can easily spend all day just moving from one relaxing treat to the next. However for all this luxury and style, Pennyhill is badly let down by the food. We ate in the Brasserie on the first night - this is the informal dining option. The starter was lacklustre - the main course (fish cake) was simply inedible. I sent it back as it was made with uncooked potato and the very same fishcake (complete with bite removed) was returned to me on the same plate (complete with bed of lettuce) that had been micro waved to try and cook it a bit more. Needless to say I sent it back again and we left...The next night it was the turn of the Latymer - the "exclusive" dining option. I have never seen such a ridiculous, fussy menu (and I've seen a few in my time). Each item came with an average of 8 additional "flavours" which meant that my salmon starter was barely noticeable amongst the tomato jelly, gazpacho soup, confit tomato, caviar sauce, scallop froth and lobster smear on the plate! The "main" course of game bird breast and leg could have sat neatly in a desert spoon! Utter nonsense and pricey to boot!
Breakfast was the saving grace - again served in the Brasserie it was a large scale buffet, but all items were fresh and hot. The Themis cafe in the Spa does a nice line in light midday meals so my advice would be eat a hearty breakfast - take a snack in Themis at lunch and go out for dinner!
Such a great hotel and spa – it deserves much, much better dining.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank quin-i-bog
Reviewed 29 October 2008

We booked this hotel as a present for my in laws, and as we were also travelling with our 1yr old and my husbands brother, we needed a perfect stay that would accommodate all of us.

I had never heard of Pennyhill until I started doing some online research and every review was excellent and I can see why.

After going to spa's all around the world and being a member of Sequoia at The Grove and a previous fan of Champneys, I have to say Pennyhill spa made all of the others seem like YMCA's, this was by far the most outstanding spa I have ever been to or seen.

We did clay pigeon shooting too at the hotel during our stay and the gentleman who did it was wonderful, great people person and was so helpful that I even shot 4 clays down. We had a great time and it was a lot of fun.

We did the Jazz brunch on Sunday and rather than the usual sitting there and watching a band perform, they went around each table and interacted with everyone asking for requests, they were really great and added to the great time we were having.

The only complaint I have was with Latymers, we thought this was really dissapointing. Me and my husband love going to all the best restaurants and we are used to small portions in Ramsay eateries. However, this was particularly poor, it just wasnt that great at all, and actually left us feeling as though it was the first let down and we['d rather had eaten at the Brasserie as we had done the night before.

So in summary, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The service was excellent, staff couldnt do enough to assist us, I even left a few things in the room and without question these have all been sent to me.

I will definitely go back

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 October 2008

I've been to Pennyhill 3 or 4 times before for short breaks, but recently stayed with my Mum for a well earned "Sunday Spa Treat" - which is £380 for a Sunday night stay with dinner, bed and breakfast and a 60 minute spa treatment each.

We arrived at 12.30 on Sunday, but our room wasn't ready (we weren't really expecting it to be) so the Valet took away the car and bags and we headed straight for the spa. I had been before, so didn't need the guided tour, but I needed to point out my very pregnant tummy to the receptionist and ask which facilities were safe for me to use. I was slightly confused as her version of what was safe was different to when I had phoned the spa a few weeks earlier and spoke to one of her colleagues. However, I'm picking holes here, it was no big deal, I just decided to err on the side of caution. Mum really enjoyed her aroma massage and my Mikiri facial - very professional, lovely treatment room and my face was glowing for days afterwards.

Our package included dinner, where we were given a small Table D'Hote menu to choose from in the Brasserie. The food was excellent, however I wouldn't have paid £100 for it, which is what it would have cost if we hadn't been on the Sunday deal. We asked for a bottle of dry house white and were given a £35 bottle of New Zealand white. They didn't seem to have a house wine and all of the wines were well over £30, which I think is ridiculous. The staff were very attentive, but some of them were let down by their poor English and misunderstood a few things.

The bedroom was a delight and the pillows were like sleeping on clouds. Great bathroom, massive shower, whirlpool bath and a telly in the bath!

Breakfast was fab, everything you could think of and great quality. You can order additional dishes e.g. eggs benedict, kippers etc. but for an £11 supplement on top of what would be £20 each if not included in your room price is again ridiculous.

Finally, on checking out, there was £5 unaccounted for on our bill - ok it's only £5 but I was made to feel like I was been silly over £5 and heard a sigh from the receptionist before she agreed to knock it off.

Overall we had a lovely time in the spa and the room was beautiful; I'm only being really picky as it is getting so expensive for the same service, rather than raising their game along with the prices. I would definitely stay again, but only on a "deal" as that 24 hours would have cost us £600 ish if we did "pay as you go" which in my opinion is just not worth it, wherever you are.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2008

The Latymer is the only restaurant any where in the world where I have heard the words "Health and Safety" and "tablecloth" used in the same sentence. The restaurant manager was more concerned with attaining their first michelin star than the opinions and requests of customers.

Food was pretentious and trying too hard. Roux this is not, unfortunately the chef and the staff believe and act as though they are. They are a million miles away from a single star let alone the three Monsieur Roux has. Portions were microscopic and drowning in a sea of foam. The lobster with pousin starter was in fact two miniscule roulade of over cooked chicken with a sliver of lobster (3mm thick). To be fair the taste was adequate but not of a standard befitting both description or price.

All in all this restaurant will not get a star with the current delivery and service levels. Sarcasm (in French) from the manager at the en of the meal having just spent £800 for four was particularly appreciate. Fortunately I could translate his profanities and respond accordingly (in both English and French)

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank abscdeg
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bagshot
Great Fosters
#1 of 8 in Dorking
Brooklands Hotel
Brooklands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Weybridge

Been to Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!