“Lovely Spa but awful Customer Service”

The Spa at Pennyhill Park
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Bagshot
More attraction details
Owner description: Blend together 45,000 sq. ft. of pure relaxation with unrivalled five star facilities including eight indoor and outdoor pools (one with underwater music), a thermal heaven heat experience and treatments that are just as 'feel good' as they are effective and you have the most perfect spa experience you could wish for. Recently voted Best Spa for Luxury 2015 by The Good Spa Guide.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lovely Spa but awful Customer Service”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I booked the '2 Treats in One Day' spa day for my birthday in January - We had a really nice day, and I had lovely treatments with Francesca who was delightful.
However there was an incident which did slightly dampen our experience with
and could have had extremely serious consequences

Whilst making the booking with the reservations team over email I mentioned my
partner had a nut allergy and requested that the restaurant be informed. I
followed this up with a call to the reservations team on the 13th January
to confirm they had a note of his nut allergy in the booking. I asked if we could have sandwiches and scones instead of cakes and pastries to
minimise the risk of anything containing nuts. The lady I spoke to on reservations (I think her name was Charlie) reassured me that all details of his allergy were in the booking and that the relevant people would be informed. I felt confident that we would be in safe hands,
especially because on the website they state 'We are proud to be able to cater for all dietary requirements for afternoon tea, please discuss any you may have upon booking'.

When we arrived for our Afternoon Tea I mentioned it to our waitress who
confirmed they knew about his allergy and bought out our sandwiches and
scones confirming they were nut free. I tried one of the cucumber
sandwiches with green bread and thought it tasted like pesto bread (Pesto contains pine nuts). I asked the waitress to confirm what the bread contained, she spoke to your
Patisserie who confirmed he couldn't have the bread as it did contain nuts
and so she brought us over some other sandwiches.

As I had mentioned this to Pennyhill staff on three separate occasions and
whilst it may have been acknowledged in both writing and verbally, a clear
lack of understanding and care of what their products contain could have
meant my partner entered into a serious state of Anaphylactic shock. This
has left us feeling really disappointed with the establishment, despite having a lovely time throughout the rest of the day.

I wrote and email a couple of days after our visit explaining what happened however I didnt hear anything back so I followed it up a week or so later with a call where I was told the spa manager would call me back ..... Im still waiting for that call....

9 Thank Freya L

Eastbourne
“Spa Struck”
Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

A 5 star spa experience .
A beautiful pool & so many other steams , & hot tubs to choose from
, there is lots of things to try,
I loved my duo aroma massage with Marion, she was an exceptional therapist and I fell asleep because I was so relaxed .
I will request her to look after me on my next visit as she was so lovely.

Guildford, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Pennyhill Park Spa Day”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Very accommodating admin team as I missed that there was a 1 year cut off point for my gift voucher. When I rang to explain this the Admin team allowed me an extra 3 months, so I was able to use the (very expensive) gift voucher.
When the day came, I parked in the car park, and trekked (quite a way from the car park) through the rain to the Spa Reception. Id forgotten to bring any paperwork, but the cool receptionist was efficient and sorted that out for me. Although I did get shown around, I would rather have had some kind of plan of the facilities and gym classes available emailed to me in advance. I was given a list of exercise classes on arrival but due to the times of the treatments I had pre-booked I couldnt make use of any of the classes. So between treatments I was a bit lost for what to do, which was a shame as I was on my own. The lunch was delicious however. Again, the restaurant staff were very accommodating as I didnt have enough time to enjoy my main course and desert before my next treatment, so they suggested I have my desert later.

It is an absolutely lovely venue and would have been even nicer to visited on a sunny day. I was rung in advance to be forewarned that the outdoor pool was closed (it was January!) but they didnt mention that there was building work going on, so sadly, throughout my relaxing treatments there was the very audible noise of diggers and dump trucks overwhelming the calming muzzak. Would I go again? yes but on a summers day after confirming there is no building work taking place. ps the rose body scrub treatment was to die for!!!

2 Thank BA2727
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Great Spa”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Came here for a one night spa break in January. The one nights stay entitled us to two full days in the spa. We were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival as none of the standard rooms were ready. It was a lovely room, very clean and decorated to a very high standard. Bathroom was amazing with disco tiles, walk in massage shower and TV.

Hotel common areas were gorgeous and we particularly enjoyed having tea and biscuits in the homely and romantic setting of the drawing room with its roaring open fire.

Staff were attentive, genuinely friendly and didn't push for tips.

The spa itself is huge, with plenty to do. We never get bored, even after clocking up over 8 hours in the place!! Everything was done in marble and granite.. Very luxurious feel.. It's the girst and only spa I've been to in the UK which is up to the standard of those I've visited in Vegas. It opened in 2005 but it's so clean, it looks like it was built last year. My wife had a treatment (30 min facial) which was expensive at £60 but she said it was very professionally done. Loved the indoor pool with underwater music and all the wet saunas were spot on temperature-wise. There's nothing to complain about, but I could suggest a few improvements. More towels about the place would have been good, and would have prevented the floors from getting so wet and slippery (and less of a job for the poor staff who are constantly mopping up). I missed a dry sauna too. Maybe they'll build one here at some point.

We dined at the Brasserie restaurant in the evening. £100 for a 3 course dinner for two with a glass of wine was expensive, but not as crazy as I expected in a 5 star hotel. Food was tasty, portions, as expected, were 'fashionably' small.

Overall, the break cost us £400 , but we did come away feeling relaxed and refreshed, and the nice memories justified the cost.

Tip: ALWAYS phone the hotel and ask for deals before booking online. They frequently offer deals that are not available or advertised on the interweb.

Enjoy!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Nick_Antera_309
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“If your not a famous celebrity do not expect to be treated well”
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I found the property stunning and the facilities excellent. However the staff were sloppy and times down right rude! We were not treated with respect and when we voiced our concerns we were asked to write it all down in a report. It was absurd I do not work for them so why I was preparing a detailed report about the actions of their staff was ridiculous. Then to make it worse the staff member whom I complained to who should of course been able to remember what I said to her. She then decided to show all the other staff what I had written, as I was a full member of the spa I found this very inappropriate. I was also told off for singing while I had a shower. Again terribly rude disrespectful people.

7 Thank theone333