“Expected better”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Swansea
“Expected better”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Well where do I start, most importantly I suppose was the extraction of funds (Twice) from my account. Luckily my wife noticed that 'McDonalds' had taken the money for an advanced booked weekend once by their central office and again by Frimley Hall. When we contacted the hotel and informed them we were asked to wait and when they came back on the phone they said that the money had only been taken from our account once. Obviously now we were pretty 'unimpressed' and asked them to check again and they came back with the same answer and requesting us to send a copy of our bank statement for them to check. The following month they then re-embursed our account with the money they had over-charged sending us an email to say we had been re-credited but with no apology!
On booking into the hotel we were ushered up to a room in the 'annex' for want of a better word and although the room was clean and comfortable it was pretty 'cramped'. We had booked in for two nights for a friends wedding along with another couple and to be honest we were all bitterly disappointed, breakfast on both mornings was to say the least an 'ordeal' waiting for ages, ordering and re-ordering, eventually recieving breakfast but no toast, tea or coffee and even when asking several staff several times on both days they just couldn't get it right - it was a complete shambles! We actually had dinner on the first night and we 'suffered' a similar experience and they actually tried to bill both parties when departing at the end of our stay for the overall cost of the evening meal!
Also a £10 credit note they had given us for booking online was never 'honoured' when we booked out, which another farce as people were queuing for up to 20 minutes to pay their bills with the 'formed' queue extending up the stairs at one time. The staff were friendly and totally apologetic each time but overal it was a total farce and they all need far better training than they had already recieved and although I give it an average rating I feel that I'm being 'over' generous!

Room Tip: Although a nice looking hotel, avoid the annex if possible or as I would do next time go elsewhere!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank GilbertSwansea
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I was most concerned to read your feedback as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards od service and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel and Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies. I have discussed your all your comments with my departmental managers, who in turn will take immediate action to ensure these were very much isolated incidents. I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Gosport
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This was the best hotel I have ever stayed in.
The staff were unbelievably friendly and you could see they enjoy their jobs.
There was an oriental waitress in the dinning room who gave the best customer service ever !
The breakfast was the best breakfast we had ever eaten, It was gorgeous.
The hotel was spotless and set in a beautiful location.

The only thing that spoilt it a little for me was children in the room above us constantly running up and down, I think It would be better to put children on the ground floor.
If anyone wants a romantic weekend away then this hotel would be perfect.
We will definately return.

Many thanks
Mr & Mrs Shepley

Room Tip: Check to see if the room above you has children staying.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Many thanks Mr & Mrs Shepley for your kind review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to extending you a very warm welcome back in the near future.
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Hotel was clean and tidy and generally staff were pleasant and helpful. But a group of 6 of us there on business decided to eat in the bar. all 6 of us ordered at the same time - 7.00ish. It took 90 mins for the 6 plates of food to come out, one after the other, such that none of us ate at the same time. we complained to the Food and Beverage manager, who in fairness apologised and refunded some drinks for us too. Breakfast was very good though and it wouldnt stop me going there again, although I would think twice about eating in the bar. Oh and yes the bar prices £10 for a glass of red wine - that's just profiteering.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Many thanks for your review. I was sorry to read your comments regarding the time taken to deliver your Bar Food order. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service experienced on this occasion. I was pleased to note that my Food and Beverage Manager addressed the issue with you at the time and indeed gave some recompense. I do hope that this will not deter you from considering Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel and Spa for any future visits as we would welcome the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back.
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Had a fantastic stay here with girlfriends. We had a spa weekend, the best facial I have ever had (thank you Kerry), all the girls thoroughly enjoyed their treatments. The pool sauna and steam room very good, a bit short on sunbeds around the pool, and could do with a jacuzzi, but otherwise all great. the spa staff were excellent, very organised and welcoming.
Hotel very comfortable and clean. great reception staff. lovely food - the dinner in the restuarant in the evening and for breakfast was first class. only criticism is the slight lack of atmosphere - could do with some music or a band/singer??
all round a great weekend and we all be coming back -thank you!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sophie230378
Many thanks for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care, which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 November 2013

A lovely looking hotel which promised high standards and award winning food!!
We booked for a very special family spa weekend and were very unimpressed!! The food was a huge part of the weekend and both our lunches and dinner meals were very poor..hardly any flavour, and were sent back to the kitchen..Also the inclusive glass of wine was awful. We were offered a £20 per person refund which was very small. One of the rooms had a rusty base on the inside of the bath,plus the toilet seat had corroded and needed replacing!! This was unhygienic and unsatisfactory.
It's very hard to keep pace with the charges when you get your bill as they are not clearly shown. Also drinks etc are very expensive eg 3 biscuits were £3.50..
Have emailed customer services 10 days ago to complain attaching photos of the room issues and as yet no reply!!
Looking at other reviews it seems no improvements are dealt with but mere platitudes are given. Would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Julie B
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Thank you for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion. I have checked with Customer Services and as yet, we have not received your correspondence. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Camberley hotels

Farnborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I got taken here for a birthday treat by my husband. I will start with the positives, lovely position and most of the hotel is full of character. The spa is nice and I cannot fault the treatments I had which were some of the best I have had. The room was clean and comfortable and all the staff we met were lovely, helpful and friendly. Now the minus points, the food, firstly the restaurant has no atmosphere it is lit so brightly you feel like you are in a Premier Inn/Harvester kind of restaurant not a 4 star hotel restaurant. Our starter of mussels was stone cold, the main courses had been put onto scorching hot plates which promptly carried on cooking the food so all the sauces had evaporated, we ordered a side dish which despite a reminder to the serving staff didn't arrive until 10 mins after our plates had been cleared, we had to be given side plates to eat them. The dessert was frankly disgusting we ordered steamed bramble sponge with vanilla custard, the sponge was like a rock I could have used it as a doorstop, considering the menu said you would have to wait 5 mins as it was cooked to order we waited 30 mins for something that had been microwaved to within an inch of its life, the custard was stone cold, and in blobs on the plate truly horrible. There was no apology and no offer to take this off the bill. I will say the breakfast was nice (obviously a different chef), I did wonder if as there was a wedding on whether we got junior staff cooking which to be honest is not fair to other guests. On this topic the hotel needs to think about other guests when weddings are on, guests roamed all through the hotel despite having a separate suite where the function is and so there was limited space in the bar and lounge and service here was slow. Also a wedding guest had vomited on the main staircase (not the hotels fault more the calibre of the guests) but unfortunately we had to walk past this to our room which was not pleasant. All in all there were glimmers of good things especially the staff and spa but overall some significant improvement is required to justify a 4 star.

Room Tip: If a wedding is on I would suggest you ask for a room away from the main house area.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cougs88
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Thank you cougs88 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion.
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

My Mum arranged a treatment for me and her for my birthday when we got there the person on the desk was helpful and polite. We spent some time in the relaxation room before going for our treatment! (It was a little busy)
We both had facials, Rachel gave me a facial and she was great really friendly and a lovely girl! Kerry gave my mum a facial and she was really impressed! Overall we were both really happy with the treatment we were both given and I felt totally relaxed afterwards.
We then went over to have our lunch, Adam the bar man was very attentive, the meal was good and the room was ate in was beautiful!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Many thanks KatieeC for your review. I was pleased to read that you and your Mum enjoyed your Spa Day with us. I will pass on your kind comments to the team, thank you. I do hope that you will visit us again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham
Savill Court Hotel & Spa

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!