“Disruptive and Overpriced”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My girlfriend and I spent three nights over the Valentines weekend at the Frimley Hall Hotel. As soon as we arrived at the check in they didn't have the booking information that I had when I booked online, so I had to show them the confirmation email I had on my phone. I had also booked some surprise spa treatments for my girlfriend for each day of our stay, which the receptionist then read out and had spilled the beans about, so there and then the surprise was ruined. Later that night we went to the Linden restaurant for dinner, the menu is limited however, the food was good. Once in bed there was a constant noise coming from the extractor in the bathroom which you couldn't turn off and therefore having to close the door every night before bed.

Day two of our "relaxing" weekend away we were rudely awakened by a phone call to the room we were staying in at 6am to let us know a car (that we didn't order) was waiting for us outside! It took us a while to fall back to sleep, especially from the shock of an unexpected loud phone call so early in the morning and also because of the ridiculously soft mattress that sagged in the middle like a poorly made cake.

Day three, house keeping were keen on servicing the rooms everyday which we were fine with apart from when we refused on this particular morning as we wanted to sleep in because we were exhausted and the weather was rubbish, I thought they would have enough time to service the room while we were out having breakfast and at the spa having a treatment but we felt quite harassed when we received a blunt letter slipped through the bottom of our door from the house keeping manager about us refusing to let them clean the room first thing in the morning.

Upon checking out its a good job I checked the bill as I was hit with a bill just under £200 more than I had anticipated and of course I got the manager to cross reference with the booking with the confirmation email on my phone and the receipts from the restaurant and bar, they had charged us for meals and drinks on a day we had gone out for the day, turns out someone else who was staying at the hotel had knowingly signed receipts to our room's account (but had not printed a name) for food and drinks, which made me question the hotel's security and professionalism as to why they hadn't checked the signed receipts before presenting us with the final bill. The manager did apologise, removed the food and drinks we didn't actually have and the discretionary service charges (which I obviously wasn't going to pay anyway) and discounted two breakfasts' which I was happy-ish about but I would have preferred that everything had run smoothly and feeling relaxed instead of leaving annoyed and irritated.

The rooms and public areas are dated and could do with a revamp, we had to recharge our card keys at reception every time we wanted to get into our room because they never worked which was tedious and particularly annoying because it was a bit of walk from our room to reception. There wasn't much to do in the hotel and overall quite boring considering their location, they might have had something more to do round the hotel. The spa was ok, I had a decent "full" body massage at the spa, but my head and feet were hardly touched, I've had better massages for a cheaper price, it defiantly could have been better for the price they charge. Overall it was overpriced and disappointing. I shan't be returning and I therefore wouldn't recommend anyone to stay there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AntRox12
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,079)

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Autumn Secret spa break, great value for money. Adequate gym, good steam room and sauna, poolside chairs in short supply but due to noisy kids in pool, this wasn't a problem as we found sanctuary in the relaxation room!
Pleasantly surprised by the "bento box" lunch - superb!
Hot stone back massage and facial were good, polished off with a pedicure, thanks Holly!
All in all a grand day out!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Many thanks for our review. I was delight to read that you enjoyed your Spa Day with us and indeed that you enjoyed your Bento Box Lunch. With regards to the number of Loungers by poolside, we cannot fit any more that 10 as this would interfere with Health and Safety regulations. I do hope that we will see you in the Spa again very soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

The saving grace of this hotel is the staff, who were very helpful and pleasant. However the interior of the hotel is dated and when we were there the public areas could not cope with the number of residents never mind visitors.
The restaurant menu could do with an overhaul and some more variety.
Nice grounds, but generally the hotel needs some investment.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JAMES P

Thank you for your review. I was sorry to note your comments regarding the decor being dated. I must point out that this is a grade II listed building, and as such we must ensure that our refurbishment is in keeping with the age and character of the surroundings. I can confirm that we have refurbished all the public area furniture and 16 bedrooms. as phase 1 is completed. Further investment will follow shortly. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I booked a special package for the spa which included full use of the facilities including the gym and two 30 minute treatments and a lunch box and it was fantastic. I have been to the spa before and paid full price for a facial and didn't feel that this 30 minute treatment was in any way inferior. The back, neck and shoulder massage was amazing and I left the treatment room a much happier lady that I had gone in - thank you Rachel ! For lunch I expected to be greeted with a relatively small wrap and drink but had a lovely lunch box with humous and carrot sticks, salad, fresh fruit salad and a cake! The staff in the hotel reception and bar and the girls in the spa were all professional yet friendly. I only wish I could have stayed longer!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your Spa Break with us and many thanks for your kind comments. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a very warm welcome back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

My wife and I had a spa weekend at this hotel. The room was good. Staff was very attentive. Food was good. The steak is not to be missed. We both had spa treatment which was good. The swimming pool was okay but getting a bit busy at times. Overall a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and indeed, that you enjoyed your Steak!! I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa in the near future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Had a great one night stay at this hotel. The rooms were lovely and my back massage and facial at the spa was fantastic. The food was excellent and the restaurant manager was particularly friendly and helpful. Would go back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Many thanks for your review. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

Staying for one night on business, I was given a room that was extremely cold (almost icy). Despite turning on the radiator and aircondiitoning, neither worked. I asked for a change of room, to be met with questions about my ability to turn on a radiator. The new room was fine. However, after ordering an evening meal at the bar, it arrived almost an hour later. Breakfast was equally slow service, at least one person walked out, as they could not wait any longer. The final problem came at check out, when despite being 3rd in the queue, I was still there 20 minutes later, as one member of staff struggled to work the credit card machine. In summary, when on a business trip, fast efficient service is expected, and this hotel was sadly lacking.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DK1008
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Thank you for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards of service and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that your comments have been discussed, at length, with the departmental managers, who in turn will take immediate steps to review and action these points accordingly. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Runnymede on Thames
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!