“A relaxing stay”

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My best friend came over from Ireland so I treated her to a relaxing night away and we weren't disappointed. This charming hotel is easy to find and very peaceful. The gym, pool and spa facilities are available for use so we made the most of our time there. The gym and the spa are perfectly adequate but the pool was a lovely surprise as it is a good size for a swim. The shower facilities at the pool are fine but I love to have proper shampoo and condition available for use rather than hair and body shampoo (to avoid the frizz), but that's just me.

In the early evening, we were looking forward to a cup of tea in the bar but were astonished that the cost was £4 for a pot. We couldn't actually find anyone to serve us though so took ourselves back to our room to use the complimentary tea service in there.

For dinner we booked into the Linden Restaurant. The food was very tasty and presented beautifully. The food and the wine list were on the pricey side though so be prepared to spend. Our meal came to £90 for two including wine by this was two courses but it was well worth it and I would recommend having a meal here. The breakfast was also very good quality with plenty of choice.

The room was clean and comfortable and we both slept very well. I would definitely recommend for a good value getaway or if you need somewhere to stay in the area.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed the Spa facilities. My apologies that you were unable to be served in the bar, please be assured that this is not our normal levels of service. In terms of our pricing for Dinner and Wine, we conduct regular reviews of our competitors to ensure that we offer good quality at a sensible price. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

We booked our trip looking forward to a relaxing weekend away, we were very disappointed. When we arrived there was no one to greet us (this was fine as we noticed there was a wedding on so understood people were busy) we flagged a gentleman down to check us in and he seemed annoyed we had asked for his help! He rolled his eyes, was blunt with the questions and was not interested in us at all!! We finally got to our room which was ok and then decided to go across to the spa. This was the only highlight. Holly did my massage and she was lovely, very friendly and good at her job. When we returned to our hotel room later in the evening there was a pop (no lie!) in the corridor by our room. A complaint was made to reception but it took ages for it to be cleaned up! It was awful and stank the place out! We went down to dinner and the food was disappointing too!! The evening staff were more welcoming than the day staff but still not overly impressed! After a disappointing day we decided to head to bed and start a fresh in the morning. The walls are so thin you can hear people next door, walking down the corridor and light switches being used! Breakfast, well I have no idea what the scrambled eggs were cooked in but they were awful! In the end we decided to pack up and leave as we were so unhappy! Will definitely not be returning or recommending to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NikkiBoon
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments, as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this very important occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Our wedding held here at Frimley Hall was absolutely fantastic; we wanted to say a massive thank you to everyone at Frimley Hall for making our day so perfect. From start to finish our day ran like clockwork and all the staff involved (especially Nick and Gareth) helped make the day so brilliant. Nothing was too much trouble for any the staff and all our guests commented on how helpful the staffs were, and also how delicious the food and evening buffet were. We couldn’t have asked for a better day and will remember Frimley Hall for any events we need in the future!

Room Tip: Room 303 has fantastic views over the front lawn!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Thank you for your review and your kind comments. As you have experienced, we are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care to all our wedding couples which goes a long way to achieving the accolade of being one Surrey's premier wedding venues.I do hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

...with a difference......Pizza takeaway and Prosecco.
Upon entering the lovely main Reception area we were greeted with an advertising banner which immediately raised our expectations..."We're serious about food, with your taste in mind".. .."It's our dedication to serving only the highest quality food that makes us different".
But the afternoon did not go quite as planned.
It started with no staff on hand to direct us in the right direction when we arrived.
Eventually shown to our table and in doing so had to go past the buffet station where we noticed that the dishes were all empty, but gave benefit of the doubt, thinking that they were in the middle of replenishing them prior to the arrival of the later lunch bookings (us and others).
We had booked our table (9 people) for 3pm to avoid the lunchtime rush. The day had been advertised as an all day Carvery til 7pm.
Drinks order was taken without too much of a problem, but we had been seated for over 20 minutes and the starter dishes still had not been replenished we enquired to the waiting staff on more than one occasion but no one really seemed to have a satisfactory answer "staff changeover in the kitchen" was one of the responses. If this is really the case it should not make any difference to the guests that are Dining.
The Function Suite that had been converted to the Mothers Day Dining Room had no atmosphere; piped music would have helped to create a better environment or special decorations in the room to mark the special day. But saying that, they did give all the Mothers, when they arrived, an organza bag containing a heart shaped biscuit and 2 chocolates.
We were offered bread (a roll cut into 3) so only a third part, and when the starters did arrive it was a very poor selection, but by this time we had almost given up. The Staff kept disappearing from behind the buffet station, so when you went up to see what the delay was or try and ask a question there was no one around to ask.
There was a further delay for the main part of the meal, no meat, roast potatoes, no vegetarian option or gravy...so we sat there for a further 30 minutes. At last we thought, its now here, but some of the items looked as though they had gone from freezer to oven (yorkshire puddings were small round biscuit type) whereas prior yorshires we had seen on other guests plates had been big fluffy home made looking ones.
In the meanwhile, the table party adjacent to us had gone up to the buffet table on 3 separate occasions, but always returned empty handed. (Eventually they upped sticks and left without having their meal.)
Then there was an unfortunate incident where a guests' shirt caught fire on one of the gel burners, that was keeping the food hot. A major health and safety issue… There was a lot of shouting and screaming whilst trying to put the flames out. This was all very un-nerving and was very distressing to see and hear. The Staff did not seem to know what to do, they stood around in amazement - it was obviously a shock to them too.
One of our party had asked for chicken, which apparently was not a problem, but when it did arrive it was not 'Roasted' chicken, but a piece of breast that had clearly been put in the microwave and for far too long so it was dry and rubbery.
To our amazement whilst we were still seated at our table pondering as to whether we would try, what was left of the desserts, the lights were switched off over the servery stations, which we assumed was a sign for us to go!

There is not much point into going into the dessert section or lack of...there had been a cheese selection, but again not replenished for the later arrivals.
If bookings and pre-payment are made in advance, you would expect this calibre of hotel to know exactly how many people they should be catering for and at which time of the day. As we and other guests had a later booking, you would expect the buffet/carvery to be adequately set up for these later arrivals.
This is a hotel that is used to dealing with major corporate clients, holding meetings and social functions for large numbers, therefore holding a Sunday Carvery should be a walk in the Park!
I was truly amazed at the lack of competent staff on hand. The whole thing was a shambles.
Mother’s Day 2014 will be one we will never forgot.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I bought a spa day with lunch and massage from Travelzoo and went yesterday. My friend and I really enjoyed our day and emerged feeling relaxed and happy - which actually is all I want from a spa day. The spa facilities are very good and the back massage was great. We weren't sure what a 'Bento Box' lunch would be but it's like an up market in flight meal (in a box) and we both enjoyed it. Our waitress was quietly efficient and really lovely. The service was excellent and we would certainly go back. There is an air of calm about the older part of the building and we both enjoyed just relaxing with a book on comfy sofas in a beautiful lounge with high ceiling and view of the garden, between lunch and treatments.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Many thanks for your review and kind comments. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your Spa Day with us, booked through Travezoo. I am sure that you will agree that this was a great promotion giving value for money. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Myself and my boyfriend stayed here for a weekend away. The hotel is lovely. The rooms were clean although a little on the small side.

The spa facilities were excellent and the staff very helpful and friendly.

The breakfast was fantastic, best hotel breakfast I've had. All hot food was cooked fresh so you just order what you want rather than the buffet style in a lot of hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Many thanks for your review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your kind comments regarding the staff and your breakfast. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We are local and decided to spend a mothers day lunch at this Hotel. The beef and the pork in the buffet was excellent. Everything else was way way below even a two star. This hotel appears to be run by a group of apprentices, with a few good people managed by bumbling amateurs.
Let me start: booked a table by telephone. Sometime later, (not sure when as I only picked up the message 3 hours before) message left of mobile to say they had made a mistake and that they could only offer us a table one hour later and asked us if we wanted to still keep the booking. We decided to stick with it.

The atmosphere was completely soul-less and sterile. Walked in through the grand entrance and the reception area was deserted, we turned left and turned right and found the where the buffet was being held. Shown to our table no one came to us To welcome us, explain the set up, we had to ask.

We asked if we could move tables as where we were placed it was a little draughty. Having literally just seated and with many other tables free, we didn't think this would be too much to ask. This seemed create an embarrassing amount of confusion that involved around 4 members of staff discussing this request 10ft away from us. When one of them eventually came to us,, clearly a case of Chinese whispers had taken place but once explained, we were moved.

The first course was very basic, considering this was a buffet just short of £25 you would expect greater choice - quite basic really. Just before the main course an incident occurred at the serving buffet table. A customer had come into contact with the flames used to keep the food trays hot. I think the poor guy's shirt caught fire. There was a lot of screaming and shouting and we felt sorry for the people involved and some of the staff. But it did leave a bit of an aftertaste and it was a little while before people started to venture back to the serving table. Personally, I think this was an accident waiting to happen, the gel, used for the flames, were far too near the edge of the table!

The main course, as mentioned earlier, the meat was good, but a lack of vegetables, roast potatoes turned up later, yorkshire pudding dry and crusty, gravy cold with a layer of fat on top. Empty horseradish sauce pot. I heard another customer complaining saying that perhaps there should have been some chicken and the vegetables consisting of steamed leeks and courgettes was unite poor, to be told that there were carrots, but they had run out!

Sweet won't go into detail, but alo poor as was the cheese, which I would normally enjoy.

We realised later, only when we saw a waitress serving out bread rolls to new customers, that we had not been offered any. We also realised, because as mentioned at the beginning, that near the sweet section there was soup, burgers and French fries.

Dirty plates were collected efficiently, but it was all done in a functional way, no smiles, no eye contact, no warmth. When we asked if coffee was included and told no, seeing our faces, made the waiter offer is free coffee. A nice gesture, but at that price, surely should be included.

Unfortunately this is one place we will not want to visit in a hurry furthermore I'm going to have go to a proper restaurant next weekend to make up for this!

1  Thank harleyD2000
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
The Runnymede on Thames
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
Aviator Hotel Hampshire
#1 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!