“Disappointing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
St Albans, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were moved here by the sister hotel who totally assured me that this hotel was of the same quality. The service however was some of the worst I have experienced. There are no lifts due to age of the building, so therefore you have to ask for help with cases as valet's are not on hand or easily visible
The bar was tiny and messy. We had to correct the receptionist on the late check out that had been agreed.
But worst was the fact that the next morning at 5:30am, we could over hear an all-mighty row going on and the doors on our floor were so noisey just from being opened and shut (not slammed either)
The soud-proofing as really not to standard and nor is the breakfast. We had over a 1/2 hour wait for food and so did many other tables - therefore, if you cannot service your guests properly, then make provisions for the food to be in buffet format
Overall a very disappointing stay which left me rueing the fact that I agreed to move hotel. I did get my taxi's paid for though as a gesture and a small discount, but the small discount did not make it worth all the hassle that it brought

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Karen Y
Stephen A, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I can only apologise for the noise experienced from other bedrooms, however had you notified the Night Porter this may have been resolved for you. My apologies for the slow service during breakfast. I have asked my Restaurant Manager to review this immediately. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Expected more from a 4* hotel
Poor quality bed linen
Some of the rooms noisy on function nights (disco playing loudly). Check whether or not there is a wedding expected during your stay!
Cooked breakfasts could do with improvement

Room Tip: Not over function room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Pamela C
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations in terms of bed linen, noise from function discos and the cooked breakfast. I have requested that my Head Housekeeper and Head Chef conduct a review to ensure that these are isolated incidents. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights as friends were getting married nearby. Our bride and groom had booked and paid for the honeymoon (Osbourne) suite for Friday and Saturday night a year beforehand but had their booking for Friday night 'mysteriously' disappear when the hotel later decided to book a wedding at the hotel on the Friday. They were not impressed.

That said, the hotel is very pretty the grounds are lovely and the reception staff were efficient and friendly and the room was spotlessly clean and nicely decorated. Our room overlooked the Carpark which was disappointing but actually very quiet and we weren't disturbed by the wedding being held there on the Friday (others were).

The staff at breakfast were friendly and attentive, the hotel seems proud that the food is locally source, whether possible. It's just a shame they served a hot breakfast that's gone cold. It happened both mornings. Our friends' breakfast took over and hour and was also cold. Portion sizes are very small for an English breakfast.

I was also bemused by the lack of hair dryer in our room and no alarm clock.

Overall this is a nice hotel, we had a few issues and for the price I think perhaps they could have done a bit better.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back (nos 60-70 ish) overlook the Carpark but when there's a wedding at the hotel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for not delivering your expectations regarding breakfast on this occasion. Please be assured that I have requested a full review by my Head Chef. All bedrooms have a hair dryer either in the dressing table drawer or in the wardrobe. Unfortunately, we do not provide alarm clocks, again, my apologies for your disappointment. I do hope that we can welcome you back to Camberley soon.
Constantia, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed for 1 week at the Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, whilst I was in the UK on a course. The reception staff were very polite, helpful and knowledgeable. The staff serving and working at breakfast were first class. However, I found the bar staff a little overwhelmed when they had more than 2 groups of people to deal with, the service both in and at the bar was slow and sloppy, tables still full of glasses and plates from the previous occupants, a little more attention to detail required. The Spa and gym facilities were fine. There needs to be a little bit more control on where the smokers can smoke, the smell of cigarettes was very obvious in the air at the bar area, it was noted by a few other customers, who also thought it was foul. All in all not a bad stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I was pleased to note that in general you enjoyed your stay. However, please accept my sincere apologies for the Slow and Sloppy Bar service. With regards to smokers, we have allocated an area outside at the front of the building, however, I am sure that you will agree you can smell a smoker from a mile away!! Again, my apologies if this tarnished your enjoyment. I do hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back very soon.
Douglas, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I had such a relaxing time here during ascot week stayed for 3 days,
Ate in the restaurant ,the steak was gorgeous, my wife had the Guinean fowl and my son had the pollock his girlfriend had the pigeon and all the meals were a real gourmet treat and tasty well worth there rosette I would say, wines again a lot to chose from and very reasonable,
Very buisy this week but no problems with speed of service, we had a lovely little Colombian waitress who seved at breakfast as well she was a real hoot and a real asset to frimley hall as was the the head waiter very attentive and dealt with everybody with great professionalism.
I'll be back next year.

Room Tip: No lift so pick a room near the stairs,65 was our very nice room. Book restaurant before you travel...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for your review and kind comments. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. We are looking forward to welcoming you back for Ascot next year.
Jersey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

I have to confess I was worried about staying here with the recent reviews on here, I needn't have been my mum and I had a fantastic 2 night stay here. We had stayed here before for ascot, it is a great location and is in a beautiful setting. We had a twin room which was clean, comfortable and very quiet. We had dinner both nights and on both nights the staff were friendly and efficient, the food was very tasty and a good choice of wine. We had our nails done and a wrap at the spa which was good, we didn't use the pool this time. Breakfast was again efficient and tasty, a good range too. Check out was pleasant and easy. We will be returning in 2016, again for ascot.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Many thanks for your review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and delighted to read that you are visiting us again in 2016 for Royal Ascot. We look forward to extending you a very warm welcome back.
Ashbourne, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Regrettably not the quality we expect!

Firstly the sat nav (new) took us into the middle of a residential area. We were not the first to face this problem as we saw a large sign indicating that a particular road did not lead to Frimley Hall.
Would be helpful if the website offered more guidance in this respect. Stay on main road and watch out for the brown location sign.

On checking in we had been allocated a room on the second floor. My wife actually needs a lift having been in hospital recently. So not good for disabled! We should have checked on booking but the large hotels we book usually have lifts. Receptionist however reallocated a room on the first floor. Luckily when I went up to view the room I realised that the rooms at the back on the first floor were actually on the ground floor as the hotel is on a hill! We therefore used the fire door for the 3 days to access the room then walk through the grounds to the hotel dining room. Good weather was on our side!
Again staff should be better briefed on disabled issues and how to offer advice to residents
But the room was very very dark and required all 5 lamps on

Restaurant is of a high quality - food and staff were excellent. Really helpful staff re gluten free selection with a special menu!

However whilst a varied menu, selection is very restricted if you do not want to pay a supplement! We did £8 extra each for the lamb which was excellent.
But then the age old problem! 10% service charge. Okay but not when they then set out an empty gratuity box inviting customers to pay twice! I recall that Westminster City Council had told all restaurants in their area to refrain from this!

Worse to come
Up at 7am but no hot water! We waited nearly two hours for the engineers to remedy the problem.

Not happy the gardener decided to use his noisy motor to blow leaves away at 0800 right outside our window!

And finally the bill!

We had dinner at a cost of £122 for two but the invoice had three entries for food
£75, £33 and £66 and by my arithmetic this came to more than £122
Strange thing was that my sign bill was also in the pack of charges!
Someone must have given your room number was the response!

No we shall find another hotel for future visits to Ascot.
At £226 a night we really do expect much better than this!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations. In terms of your Sat Nav, we do state a Sat Nav specific Post Code, for your use, on the Website. I am sure that had you stated when booking, that your wife had recently been in Hospital, we would have happily allocated a more convenient bedroom to avoid reallocation on arrival. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the Restaurant. I can only apologise for the boiler break down, resulting in no hot water. This was very much beyond our control. I do hope you will consider returning to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Camberley hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
Pennyhill Park, an Exclusive Hotel & Spa
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!