“QUIET AND GREAT VALUE.”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Ashford, United Kingdom
“QUIET AND GREAT VALUE.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Used this hotel for a nights stay before our holiday, parked car there for two weeks, together cheaper than parking only at airport, really nice old refurbished manor house in 35 acres. Had excellent dinner in their resturant (not expensive). Taxi to Gatwick only ten pounds. Best airport hotel we have found,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Always a real pleasure to read comments like this. We know we're not perfect but we do aim to look after our guests because it's always nice to hear they'll use you again because they've enjoyed everything about their stay.

Hopefully we are now on your list of places to stay before flying off and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Stanhill Court Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent a couple of nights at Stanhill Court and liked it very much overall. When we arrived, there was no one in Reception, they were quite short of staff on a Sunday evening, and we observed two other parties also having trouble booking in that evening. The same young man was having to cover the bar and reception, not easy. There is no lift, so he also helped carry our bags to our room. Our room was comfortable, with an amazingly large bed. The furniture was dark and quite heavy, in keeping with the Victorian period, the house having been built in 1881.
There was no room safe or mini bar, but as we were only paying £79 for the room, we could hardly question this. It was very good value. We had two dinners there, the first because we were tired and the second because we had so enjoyed the first. The food was freshly cooked and the wines well chosen.The dining room was panelled, and felt a bit like a Pousada in Portugal. It is a traditional country house hotel, very peaceful, with a lovely terrace overlooking the lawns. Clearly their bread and butter comes from weddings, for which it would be a lovely setting, and Gatwick Park and Stay customers. We were delighted to find that there was a charming, panelled, residents's lounge, a feature increasingly rare in hotels, but a pleasant place to read. The cooked breakfasts were good, the buffet less so. No yogurt. All the staff were polite and helpful, and we feel we now have a good place to stay should we ever decide on a Gatwick flight.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor. I have made a note of everything you mention.

We very much look forward to you making Stanhill Court Hotel a regular port of call and we will see you again, soon.

Milton Keynes, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

Used the hotel for 1 night's bed + dinner + parking package, booked via Holiday Extras, en route to Gatwick.

It's far more pleasant than the typical larger airport hotels and well priced for what we got. The room was fine for the two of us and well situated at the front of the hotel overlooking the pleasant entrance. I did notice that guests and taxis leaving very early in the morning were very considerate and quiet - with the windows open and being a light sleeper, I heard people leaving at 5am, but that's just me. One comment about the room - the carpet was absolutely filthy and needed a good hoover. It clearly hadn't been hoovered since the last guests, as there were biscuit crumbs and general debris all around. Looking outside our room in the public areas, a good hoover wouldn't have gone amiss there either. It was a Sunday - maybe the person who manages the hoover had the day off.

The dining room is pleasant and overlooks very pretty gardens. We has a nice window seat, being the first in there. The meal was fine although to be uber critical, few dishes appeared to be freshly cooked. There seemed a lot that was pre-cooked (or even extracted from catering packs, perhaps?) with over-cooked vegetables. The surroundings and attempts at some kind of outdated finesse (why the waiters' white gloves??) is not matched by the cuisine. However, all dishes were well presented and perfectly edible. Given the price we paid, it seems churlish to criticise and this would not stop us coming again, but our expectations would be lower.

Our return journey back to the hotel was easy although I did have to ring 2 taxi companies on our arrival (the hotel supplies 2 telephone numbers who offer a good rate, but factor in the cost of 2 taxis when making price comparisons). Picking up the keys and the car was painless.

Would certainly use the hotel again when travelling to Gatwick. We usually arrive the day
before and buy a hotel/parking package. On this occasion, there were several serious accidents on the motorways en route to Gatwick which caused many passengers to miss flights. Our flight was delayed on the tarmac for over an hour whilst flight crew and passengers were delayed. Even then, it took off half full, and reinforced our decision to travel the day before. If you do the same, this hotel is a good pre-flight option.

Room Tip: You might to avoid the front of the hotel if you are not leaving early, to avoid hearing the noise o...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I must apologise for the poor upkeep of the carpet, they are regularly shampoo'd and I'm unhappy that housekeeping did not vacuum the area properly. Our housekeeping department operates seven days per week, so there were not excuses and thank you for point this out.

Our food is all prepared fresh and with 2 rosettes I can assure you we don't do vacuum packs, either. In line with industry standards, popular food is prepared prior to service and kept hygienically ready for use. I see the food going out every day and it's a rare day when veg is overcooked but thank you for pointing that out.

Reference the local taxi service, we have negotiated an excellent rate to/from Gatwick and the drivers are paid direct. The reason we provide 2 telephone numbers for your return journey is that sometimes, the original taxi company may not be able to collect at the required time. The cost is the same - there is no need for a phone round for price comparisons with the taxi firms we recommend to you and if you are charged differently, I want to know about it!

We look forward to welcoming you again, soon.
Worc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

Having booked a holiday which had an early flight from Gatwick, I needed a hotel which was both close and offered parking whilst away.
I found Stanhill Court fitted the bill to a tee. Not only was it a VERY good price, considering the parking, but it was also a beautiful place to stay. An enchanting old building set in acres of equally beautiful gardens.
We decided to push the boat out and upgraded to a 4 poster bedded room, the room was lovely, spacious, quiet, nice views and hard to believe you were only a stones throw from Gatwick.
We also had a meal there, which again was brilliant, the service was excellent and the food much much better than average.
There's a bit of me which doesn't want to publicise the fact how good this place is, as I fear it will be fully booked next time I need it. However, from here on in, if ever I fly from Gatwick again, then this is most definately the place I will stay.
Thoroughly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Try a 4 poster bedroom, I believe they're slightly larger
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Trip Advisor and what a review! We do hope you pop by this way again soon.
Aylesford, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

After a long days work and another in the same area the next day i asked the boss to put me up in a hotel local to the job. The text came through with the address so after finishing work i popped the postcode into my satnav and drove.

On arrival i initially thought i must be at the wrong place and maybe had driven up David Beckhams driveway. Tree lined on each side with statues a real beauty ! The the main building comes into view and then i thought i had definitely pulled into Beckhams Mansion ! This building is Gorgeous. Obviously an old Stately home that has been converted into a hotel i'm thinking wow i have found a place here but will the rest of the stay compliment the outside of the building?

The simple answer is YES!

Walking through the main door to check- in i was greeted by a very welcoming lady and simply went into the main waiting area.

Now i have been transported back in time, beautiful decor, well maintained, a real oldy world feel to it. The lady at reception came through after a minute gave me my KEY, yes a key not a card and explained where my room was. I had a heavy bag that i needed to drop off to my room before getting a drink and venturing outside as it was a beautiful day so walked up the staircase to my room. On opening the door my jaw dropped, 4 POSTER BED, CLEAN, AIRY and the VIEW oh YES!

Right that was it im out the door and to the bar and i'm greeted by a Polishman and a Spaniard
who were great. I ordered a couple of bottles of Cider, 1 pint glass with ice, paid and proceeded outside.

Walking through the patio doors to the outside grounds well all i can say is stunning. Fields, trees, a tractor doing it's job, Beautiful ! After 15 minutes the Polish waiter/barman came outside and sat down and we had a nice chat, he actually spoke better English than some of the Englishmen i know.

Sun started setting so it was dinner time.

To cut the story short the food was great which didn't surprise me as everything had been perfect so far.

So would there be a downfall ?

Well the only thing that bothered me was the price of the cider. £4 for a 440ml bottle of cider !

I liked this hotel so much i asked to stay there 2 days later when i was back in the area.

This is a must stay if in the area.

My overall rating has got to be 4.75

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
It appears we bowled you over! You're not the first customer to feel that way. Glad you came back and hopefully you may become a regular if your work continues in the Gatwick area. See you soon!
Newent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Having been delayed for three hours sitting in stationary traffic on the M23 when heading to Gatwick I missed my flight. I needed somewhere to stay urgently close to the airport so I could quickly get to Gatwick early the following morning. I found a good deal on Laterooms.com at Stanhill Court and was pleased with the hotel. The staff and management were very welcoming, our room clean and comfortable and the bar meal we had very tasty.

The hotel is around 10 minutes drive back to Gatwick. It offers free parking for the length of your travels to anyone staying at the hotel and I will certainly avail myself of this in future. Not only cheaper than the long stay parking at the airport but also stress free and I don't plan on missing my flight again.

The property is an old manor style house set in 35 acres which was pleasant to walk around on an early sunny evening in June.

Beware, no lift!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind response and we look forward to welcoming you again soon. Glad you found us!
Maidstone
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

A lovely hotel in a lovely setting. We stayed here the night before jetting off from Gatwick (about a 10-12 minute drive way). It was a great start to one's holiday. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the food in the restaurant was superb and the view from our (four poster) bedroom was of beautiful countryside. The grounds were nice to walk around and the hotel was surprisingly tranquil considering it distance from the airport! We are going back for a weekend stay in the near future.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you! I hope it's not too long before we welcome you both once again.
Stanhill Court Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Sofitel London Gatwick
Ghyll Manor Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!