“Quiet country house hotel near Gatwick”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Quiet country house hotel near Gatwick”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here for a weekend when we visited the area for a family party. We got a good deal on laterooms so we only paid a fraction of the cost for our two nights. The hotel is impressive when you come up the private drive and the gardens and grounds are superb (lots of bunnies running around). The terrace is a sun trap and is great for a relaxing drink in the afternoon / evening (as long as there isn't a wedding on!). Luckily there wasn't a wedding during our stay but I would imagine it could be a bit noisy when there is.

The rooms are OK but the extractor fan in our bathroom wasn't working and wasn't fixed when I reported it. The TV signal was a bit patchy too (but we didn't need it anyway). The bed was comfy but it was hot and the duvet was quite thick. We could have done with a lighter-weight one. The dining room is beautiful but there is also a tapas bar area for bar meals (we had the chicken curry and it was superb). The library was great with wooden panels, leather sofas and lots of interesting books on the shelves.

The staff are friendly and helpful but a bit short-staffed as there was often no-one on reception when we needed them.

Despite this being very close to Gatwick the planes didn't come overhead and the noise wasn't that intrusive. We asked for a quiet room and were put around the front of the house (room 28) which was OK at the weekend but Monday morning was noisy from very early on as guests left for the airport and some workers arrived.

Overall - great if you can get a cheap deal and a superb location for exploring the beautiful local area.

Room Tip: 26 - 39 are round the front and away from the wedding reception areas
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian L
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. And, yes, it it quiet here as we're not in a flight path. Always a bonus when you're in the Gatwick area.

Thank you for bringing to our attention the bathroom fan not working, this has now been fixed. It's not always possible to attend to maintenance immediately. Most of us are quick with light bulb changes, etc., but some things take longer to organise.

We look forward to welcoming you again, soon.
Owner/Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Norfolk
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Booked it last minute. Arrived 10 minutes after the call to book and the woman on reception couldn't remember what room she had allocated us. That was after we waited a good 5 minutes for her to arrive at reception to help.
The room was pleasant but lacked finesse. Hairdryer was old fashioned and blew warm air only. Bath and shower were not very nice of effective. tea and coffee was awful.

Went o the bar for a drink. Had to call out for someone to service us - after a 10 minute wait. They finally arrived and then were less than interested.

Restaurant has 2 AA rosettes - well they must be from a long gone era as the food was dreadful. Worse than a 3rd rated pub. Asked for rare steak and got cremated rubber. Service was lacking all round.

Left at 7.30am . No staff to be found - anywhere. Had to leave keys on an unsecure shelf in the hallway as reception was locked.

Won't be returning. Not even if it is last minute.

Shame, as has much potential.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ali M
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for your comments and I am left with some questions of my own:
Did you complain on the day about any of the points raised? For instance a hairdryer could have been changed over in minutes.
We have checked the bath/shower and need to get more information from you about their ineffectiveness.
Your comments regarding your experience in the restaurant are derogatory and extreme. I often see the food going out from the kitchen and it is nothing less than first class. It would be against the principals of our professional brigade of chefs to send freshly cooked food out that was unpalatable. My staff have no recollection of either any food being presented that looked like "cremated rubber"or any complaints about their food. All complaints are dealt with seriously and your food would have changed straight away if it was not to your taste but I do question your description.
And your comment, "Service was lacking all round" - I don't quite understand what you are saying. Did you complain about this at the time?
Finally, the slanderousdescription of being "worse than a 3rd rated pub". A totally unjustified comment. Our food is prepared and cooked fresh to order. We are proud of Stanhill Court Hotel and our high standards. We're not perfect and mistakes are made but never, never would I accept such deleterious comments.
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Used this hotel for a nights stay before our holiday, parked car there for two weeks, together cheaper than parking only at airport, really nice old refurbished manor house in 35 acres. Had excellent dinner in their resturant (not expensive). Taxi to Gatwick only ten pounds. Best airport hotel we have found,

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Always a real pleasure to read comments like this. We know we're not perfect but we do aim to look after our guests because it's always nice to hear they'll use you again because they've enjoyed everything about their stay.

Hopefully we are now on your list of places to stay before flying off and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Llantwit Major, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We spent a couple of nights at Stanhill Court and liked it very much overall. When we arrived, there was no one in Reception, they were quite short of staff on a Sunday evening, and we observed two other parties also having trouble booking in that evening. The same young man was having to cover the bar and reception, not easy. There is no lift, so he also helped carry our bags to our room. Our room was comfortable, with an amazingly large bed. The furniture was dark and quite heavy, in keeping with the Victorian period, the house having been built in 1881.
There was no room safe or mini bar, but as we were only paying £79 for the room, we could hardly question this. It was very good value. We had two dinners there, the first because we were tired and the second because we had so enjoyed the first. The food was freshly cooked and the wines well chosen.The dining room was panelled, and felt a bit like a Pousada in Portugal. It is a traditional country house hotel, very peaceful, with a lovely terrace overlooking the lawns. Clearly their bread and butter comes from weddings, for which it would be a lovely setting, and Gatwick Park and Stay customers. We were delighted to find that there was a charming, panelled, residents's lounge, a feature increasingly rare in hotels, but a pleasant place to read. The cooked breakfasts were good, the buffet less so. No yogurt. All the staff were polite and helpful, and we feel we now have a good place to stay should we ever decide on a Gatwick flight.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor. I have made a note of everything you mention.

We very much look forward to you making Stanhill Court Hotel a regular port of call and we will see you again, soon.

Milton Keynes, UK
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Used the hotel for 1 night's bed + dinner + parking package, booked via Holiday Extras, en route to Gatwick.

It's far more pleasant than the typical larger airport hotels and well priced for what we got. The room was fine for the two of us and well situated at the front of the hotel overlooking the pleasant entrance. I did notice that guests and taxis leaving very early in the morning were very considerate and quiet - with the windows open and being a light sleeper, I heard people leaving at 5am, but that's just me. One comment about the room - the carpet was absolutely filthy and needed a good hoover. It clearly hadn't been hoovered since the last guests, as there were biscuit crumbs and general debris all around. Looking outside our room in the public areas, a good hoover wouldn't have gone amiss there either. It was a Sunday - maybe the person who manages the hoover had the day off.

The dining room is pleasant and overlooks very pretty gardens. We has a nice window seat, being the first in there. The meal was fine although to be uber critical, few dishes appeared to be freshly cooked. There seemed a lot that was pre-cooked (or even extracted from catering packs, perhaps?) with over-cooked vegetables. The surroundings and attempts at some kind of outdated finesse (why the waiters' white gloves??) is not matched by the cuisine. However, all dishes were well presented and perfectly edible. Given the price we paid, it seems churlish to criticise and this would not stop us coming again, but our expectations would be lower.

Our return journey back to the hotel was easy although I did have to ring 2 taxi companies on our arrival (the hotel supplies 2 telephone numbers who offer a good rate, but factor in the cost of 2 taxis when making price comparisons). Picking up the keys and the car was painless.

Would certainly use the hotel again when travelling to Gatwick. We usually arrive the day
before and buy a hotel/parking package. On this occasion, there were several serious accidents on the motorways en route to Gatwick which caused many passengers to miss flights. Our flight was delayed on the tarmac for over an hour whilst flight crew and passengers were delayed. Even then, it took off half full, and reinforced our decision to travel the day before. If you do the same, this hotel is a good pre-flight option.

Room Tip: You might to avoid the front of the hotel if you are not leaving early, to avoid hearing the noise o...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. I must apologise for the poor upkeep of the carpet, they are regularly shampoo'd and I'm unhappy that housekeeping did not vacuum the area properly. Our housekeeping department operates seven days per week, so there were not excuses and thank you for point this out.

Our food is all prepared fresh and with 2 rosettes I can assure you we don't do vacuum packs, either. In line with industry standards, popular food is prepared prior to service and kept hygienically ready for use. I see the food going out every day and it's a rare day when veg is overcooked but thank you for pointing that out.

Reference the local taxi service, we have negotiated an excellent rate to/from Gatwick and the drivers are paid direct. The reason we provide 2 telephone numbers for your return journey is that sometimes, the original taxi company may not be able to collect at the required time. The cost is the same - there is no need for a phone round for price comparisons with the taxi firms we recommend to you and if you are charged differently, I want to know about it!

We look forward to welcoming you again, soon.
Worc
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Having booked a holiday which had an early flight from Gatwick, I needed a hotel which was both close and offered parking whilst away.
I found Stanhill Court fitted the bill to a tee. Not only was it a VERY good price, considering the parking, but it was also a beautiful place to stay. An enchanting old building set in acres of equally beautiful gardens.
We decided to push the boat out and upgraded to a 4 poster bedded room, the room was lovely, spacious, quiet, nice views and hard to believe you were only a stones throw from Gatwick.
We also had a meal there, which again was brilliant, the service was excellent and the food much much better than average.
There's a bit of me which doesn't want to publicise the fact how good this place is, as I fear it will be fully booked next time I need it. However, from here on in, if ever I fly from Gatwick again, then this is most definately the place I will stay.
Thoroughly recommend this place.

Room Tip: Try a 4 poster bedroom, I believe they're slightly larger
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to put your review on Trip Advisor and what a review! We do hope you pop by this way again soon.
Aylesford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2013

After a long days work and another in the same area the next day i asked the boss to put me up in a hotel local to the job. The text came through with the address so after finishing work i popped the postcode into my satnav and drove.

On arrival i initially thought i must be at the wrong place and maybe had driven up David Beckhams driveway. Tree lined on each side with statues a real beauty ! The the main building comes into view and then i thought i had definitely pulled into Beckhams Mansion ! This building is Gorgeous. Obviously an old Stately home that has been converted into a hotel i'm thinking wow i have found a place here but will the rest of the stay compliment the outside of the building?

The simple answer is YES!

Walking through the main door to check- in i was greeted by a very welcoming lady and simply went into the main waiting area.

Now i have been transported back in time, beautiful decor, well maintained, a real oldy world feel to it. The lady at reception came through after a minute gave me my KEY, yes a key not a card and explained where my room was. I had a heavy bag that i needed to drop off to my room before getting a drink and venturing outside as it was a beautiful day so walked up the staircase to my room. On opening the door my jaw dropped, 4 POSTER BED, CLEAN, AIRY and the VIEW oh YES!

Right that was it im out the door and to the bar and i'm greeted by a Polishman and a Spaniard
who were great. I ordered a couple of bottles of Cider, 1 pint glass with ice, paid and proceeded outside.

Walking through the patio doors to the outside grounds well all i can say is stunning. Fields, trees, a tractor doing it's job, Beautiful ! After 15 minutes the Polish waiter/barman came outside and sat down and we had a nice chat, he actually spoke better English than some of the Englishmen i know.

Sun started setting so it was dinner time.

To cut the story short the food was great which didn't surprise me as everything had been perfect so far.

So would there be a downfall ?

Well the only thing that bothered me was the price of the cider. £4 for a 440ml bottle of cider !

I liked this hotel so much i asked to stay there 2 days later when i was back in the area.

This is a must stay if in the area.

My overall rating has got to be 4.75

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
It appears we bowled you over! You're not the first customer to feel that way. Glad you came back and hopefully you may become a regular if your work continues in the Gatwick area. See you soon!
Stanhill Court Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Copthorne Hotel Effingham Gatwick

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!