“Great Pre-Holiday Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Great Pre-Holiday Hotel”
Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

My wife & I booked to stay here the night before we flew off for our honeymoon & couldn't of hoped for a better start to it.

This is a very nice hotel with lots of character. After checking in we headed into the bar which was very nice & had a very tasty dinner which was reasonably priced & a few drinks. Upon returning to our room we realised the heating wasn't as hot as it should be so the room was a little cold so called down to reception. Within 5 mins there was a member of staff with an oil filled radiator at our door, he then put that on & said he'd see what else he could sort out. After another 5 mins there was another knock at the door from the same member of staff ( I think his name was Luis) saying he'd like to move us to another room which was warmer & then proceeded to help move our luggage. This was a much larger room with a four poster king size bed. For me wherever you stay in the world you will always get small niggles, it's how the hotel deals with the issues that shows how good it is & this for me showed excellent customer care!

Breakfast the next day way also excellent & we left our car at the hotel for a further 14 nights while we jetted off. My wife & I always stay at a hotel the night before we fly from Gatwick as we live over 100 miles away. We've never stayed at Stanhill Court before but this will now be our pre-holiday hotel of choice & will definitely be staying here again. Fantastic.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank robb t
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor. I've said this before but it's worth repeating, and that is that we do aim to give all guests the best experience; we don't always get it right but as can be seen from the TripAdvisor reviews, we do appear to get it right most of the time.

Now that you've had this experience, we very much look forward to welcoming you again whether you are departing out of Gatwick or thinking of a special weekend away. Check out our website for details.

Director
Stanhill Court Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed at this wonderful hotel on Friday and Saturday nights including a special valentine's package on the first night. We were made to feel very welcome by the delightful staff and the food was delicious and beautifully presented. We had paid for an executive room but were upgraded to a four poster room which was a lovely surprise. We would certainly return to this beautiful country mansion.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Your comments on TripAdvisor are much appreciated. I think I was personally involved in taking some of the details of your booking. We are glad you enjoyed yourselves and look forward to welcoming you again, soon.

Reviewed 14 February 2014

Me and my boyfriend stayed here the night before our flight to Las vegas. It was a perfect loaction near Gatwick airport and they even arrange a taxi to the airport for a cheap flat rate charge. We were able to park at the hotal and leave the vehicle there for the week :)
On arrival i couldnt believe how lovely the hotel looked both outside and in.
The only downfall about the hotel is that there's no lift. Luckily i had my man to carry my bags to the room on the next floor up :)
The room was lovely, big and clean.
We had a lovely meal there that night in the restaurant- i had the most tast Sausage and Mash ever.
Perfect nights sleep ready for our trip ahead.
Would definetely stay here again !!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. We have built up a very good reputation with guests who stay with us the night before their trip who now come to us direct year after year.

Reference your luggage, we do offer to take people's luggage upstairs. This historic country house and former family home wasn't built with a lift in mind.

We're always here to help and look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion.

Wiltshire
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on a Tuesday night prior to a conference. I arrived at 8pm and had a charming welcome from the manager who whisked me to my room carrying my bags. I can't remember when that last happened! A beautiful building built in 1881, it gave me confidence it would withstand the storm that was blowing a hooley that night. It was lovely to sit in front of the roaring fire and the service was very attentive from the waiting staff. We had two high quality meals and good wine in the dining room and similarly breakfast was excellent. The conference the next day went very smoothly and the catering was top notch. It has a separate entrance, cloakroom, great loos. We had a big room with an effective sound system and acoustics plus all the gear (e.g. a roving mic). Due to the weather we didn't get to sample the grounds but there Are some lovely walks available. It's 10 min drive from Gatwick with the hotel arranging preferential taxi rates (£10 one way) on request - just ask! I would most definitely stay here again especially pre-flight and recommend highly as a conference centre.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank WiltshirePhilippa
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments on TripAdvisor. We know you have choices when booking venues for meetings (especially in the Gatwick area) and we like to think we go that Extra Mile!

We look forward to welcoming you again on other occasions.

Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

We booked on a special offer at a local wedding fayre and looked forward to staying in a beautiful characteristic hotel. Unfortunately, when we arrived at our meeting time, there was no one to be found on reception or anywhere obvious in the hotel. We met another bemused guest also looking for someone to check him in! Eventually an unenthusiastic wedding co-ordinator met with us, but although we liked the hotel, she didn't sell it!
We booked for dinner and wanted to relax in the bar beforehand, but the place was desserted until dinner so there was no-one to serve us.
We went back to our room to relax there, thinking we could enjoy the jacuzzi bath....imagine our disappointment that it did not work, yet no-one had bothered to tell us!
We enjoyed a delicious dinner, but some of the service was very slow.
Through no fault of the hotel, there was a power cut in the night which resulted in pitch black darkness, no running water, no toilet flushing, no heating, no shower or washing available and definitely no hot breakfast.... this was disappointing, but what was worse, was the attitude of each member of staff we met that morning. NOT ONE explained or apologised or asked if guests were okay! They were only slightly bothered that their card machine could not take payments!!!!
Overall, we were appalled and will never stay there again, let alone consider it as a wedding venue.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kay R
We were obviously very disappointed to read your comments on TripAdvisor especially as we had already dealt with this following your email to us in October 2013 at which time we made a refund to you.

Power cuts are a traumatic experience and generally out of our control.

We were approximately half full during your stay and I am not happy to read that you could not find a member of staff to assist with checking in/out or your use of the bar and this has been discussed with all staff so that they are more aware.

With regard to breakfast, we provided additional food because of the situation and there was hot water available for drinks. Our staff were also busy dealing with room-service as not everyone realised there was a power cut.

We are always concerned for our guests' welfare, particularly so during a power cut (which, thankfully doesn't happen often, here).

We are a very successful business with most guests leaving satisfied and happy with their stay. Please accept my personal apologies that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion.

Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were looking to book New Years Eve next year for 12 people and had previously heard favourable reports about the meal and the hotel. However, having read the review below and talked to others that stayed at the Hotel on New Years Eve about the dreadful breakfast which was cold and served on cold plates, I have been put off. A shame as previous reports had been good.

Clearly my ratings are not based on MY experience - but on comments made by others on this board and by talking to others who stayed but felt that they could not recommend this hotel this time.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding New Year's Eve. May I ask you to read my comments to the previous reviewer. Overall, everyone had a marvellous time and we have bookings for 2014 as a result. It seems that the extended time period for breakfast as well as lack of thought from staff regarding keeping lids on dishes and keeping plates warm seemed to spoil the experience for some.

Do call us to discuss your requirements for New Year's Eve 2014 with our staff. I can guarantee the same thing will not happen again!

Tadley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I, together with two friends, went here for a New Year's Eve dinner/dance with overnight accomodation. The hotel is situated down a short lane and it is a very impressive building, formerly a manor house. We were greeted with a warm welcome, which was encouraging as the weather was terrible! The lobby of the hotel is also an impressive feature with the charm of a bygone era. Our room, No. 3, was very clean, warm, and comfortable, with the usual amenities. The event itself was excellent, with a great meal and a very versatile DJ who played a wide selection of music to suit all tastes. All the staff we encountered were extremely friendly. I would have given 5 stars but for the fact that the buffet breakfast did not meet our expectations. The food would have been good but for the fact that the plates were stone cold and by the time we got to a table the food was also only luke warm. Also, our friends did not share exactly the same views. Their room, No. 2, was apparently not as comfortable as ours, with a bit of a draft from their window and a bathroom door that would not shut properly. Overall, nevertheless, I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your very fair comments about New Year's Eve. My husband and I were both present for the party and stayed overnight and were also disappointed with breakfast service. This was not up to our usual standard. The 1st January 2014 was an extended buffet breakfast service from 8 - 10.30am and a keener eye should have been put on warm plates and hot food; all staff are now aware of better attention to customer service standards when a buffet breakfast is being served.

On the flip side, general feedback to us was that everybody had such a good time, so much so that we are looking at the possibility of putting on a Summer Ball this year, in fact a Masked Summer Ball, probably in July. We shall be emailing all New Year's Eve guests as soon as the information is ready but for others reading this, please feel free to contact us about it.

From our word of mouth proposal about the Summer Ball, we already have enquiries!

I don't know what you think but in my mind, our New Year's Eve Party felt like a House Party. The atmosphere was warm, welcoming and enjoyable and we have repeat bookings for this year.

Thank you once again for taking the time to leave your comments.

Kind regards,
Stanhill Court Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Travelodge Gatwick Airport Central
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!