“Do not leave your car in the "care" of this hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Charlwood
London, United Kingdom
“Do not leave your car in the "care" of this hotel!”
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Used this hotel for one night stay and car parking during a holiday. After parking in hotel car park we were given no indication car may be moved and told our keys were only required by the Fire Brigade, just in case. On our return a further deception by the unhelpful staff told us the car had not been moved but on inspection we found a car same make model and colour in our original space. Coincidence? When it was found the car had been moved without our authorisation dumped on waste ground (see picture) with many others. The car was filthy with mud, bird droppings, pine resin etc. We complained to the management whose attitude was most unapologetic and seemed to think they could do what ever they liked with the car whilst in their care. This is not what you need after a 11 hour flight and should make you wonder if these attitudes carry over into the general running of the rest of the hotel's business.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank John F
luxury4poster, Owner at Stanhill Court Hotel, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Ah, yes, I do remember this complaint.

From memory, I believe you stayed in early June. You and I had a rather long discussion outside the hotel because you were shouting at my reception staff inside. I told you then and I repeat now, we do NOT deceive people. Due to an unexpected surge of business during the period of your stay, our parking strategy was not perfect. I would also remind you that we are NOT a Car Park but provide facilities for you to leave your car while you are away on holiday.

We now have a dedicated 'long term' parking area within the grounds - in a section of woodland adjacent to the hotel.

I think it's worth pointing out that on another booking agency site, we have 100% response that guests would stay with us again, so we must be getting something right.

I did apologise to you most profusely during our conversation and even offered to wash your car before you went home but you continued to berate me, nothing would appease your anger. Nobody 'dumped' your car and I would also remind you that the hotel is located in a country woodland area where we cannot avoid the occurrence of bird droppings, leaves and dust.

We are happy to deal with genuine grievances but please don't make things up. It is not helpful.

Stanhill Court Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
sheffield
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Strange driveway with statues all along it but lovely gardens and an impressive looking house on arrival. Only stayed one night before flying out and left the car there for 2 weeks.. very reasonable price and the car was perfectly safe in the huge grounds. Very handy for the airport!
Please if you book here be organised and just take an overnight bag into the hotel, we didn't and had to drag suitcases up flights of stairs because there is no lift! A member of staff saw me as I struggled but turned a blind eye...
The room was nice and there were 2 beds, which were very comfortable Bathroom was quite large Didn't use the dining room we preferred to go into the village and have a bar snack and had breakfast at the airport the following morning

Room Tip: If firness is a problem ask for a low level floor.. no lift!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Penny P
Thank you for your kind comments. Everything seems to be OK but you didn't want to eat with us - we receive so many compliments for our food which is either served in our beautiful Restaurant 1881 with uninterrupted views into the sunset or in the bar. Good food, prepared to order - what's not to like?

I'm not sure what time you had to be at the airport but the restaurant opens at 7.30am which may have been too late for your schedule.

Many guests come with large amounts of luggage - we do say on all third party websites that we do not have a lift but that staff will provide assistance or you can leave heavy luggage in the Porter's Lodge overnight.

We look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion where we will be pleased to help with your luggage.

Worcestershire
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We regularly use this hotel for a pre-holiday stay with parking when flying from Gatwick airport. In our opinion it is by far the best low cost hotel in easy reach of the airport. The staff are lovely; the car park is huge and your car stays on site at the hotel during your holiday; the views from the terrace are stunning; the food is lovely; and they serve champagne by the glass! We always enjoy our stay here, and feel this hotel offers a much friendlier 'airport hotel' experience than any of the others we have tried. Love it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank checkleys
Thank you so much for your very kind comments and the Champagne is on ice awaiting your next stay with us.

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel is situated in large grounds and has a country manor feel. I booked this hotel for a stay the night before an early morning departure from Gatwick, and to leave my car parked there for the duration of my stay abroad. The car park is not particularly large and not paved very well. Parking is very tight in places. On my return the bumper on my car had been slightly damaged, and the alarm had been triggered. When I explained this to the person at the front desk he said that he was not aware my alarm had gone off. I didn't feel it was worth pursuing any more. The hotel has a grand lobby that is all covered in wood giving a very dark appearance. My room was difficult to find, but when found I found it to be quite small, and in need of refurbishment. Bed was ok. I left early in the morning so breakfast was not available for me. I booked this hotel because of the price, and I think the hotel is ok for the price I paid

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank pdsfinance
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor. You have titled your comments 'OK for the cost'. I'm not sure what you were expecting but if you booked one of our special low cost deals, choice of room would have been limited. Most of our bedrooms are 4-poster rooms which come into a different price range.

We look forward to welcoming you on another occasion. It might be an idea to book direct when we can ascertain your full requirements to avoid disappointment.

gwent
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

After reading reviews we decided to book this hotel as they also look after your car while your on hols.

The place looks like an infirmary on the outside. Silly statues all down the drive. We got room 22 which had the most uncomfortable bed ive ever slept in. The mattress was rank and old with springs poking through.

We paid just shy of £40 on two meals in the bar. Burger and chips. Absolutely disgusting food and a complete rip off. Other couples in there we talked to also agreed.
When i raised this issue with reception the woman looked at me and said she was very surpised by this. No apology, no offer to resolve this and frankly not a nice lady.

Mold growing in the bathroom/shower, dirty in general.

After collecting our car today it was delivered outside the reception the car was stinking dirty, covered in twigs, leaves, and animal excrement.
I would strongly urge you to avoid this place. I am disgusted with the amount we paid and the general attitude of the staff. Rip off.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank guinness1975
Gosh! I'm not sure where to start with these comments; animal excrement? I don't think so. Are you sure you stayed at Stanhill Court Hotel?

Hotels and restaurants always recognise that they don't get everything right all the time which is why they are only too pleased to put things right on the day of stay.

Wherever you stay, wherever you eat, if you are not happy with the situation, please, please, tell staff in the restaurant that you are not happy with your food as soon as it is delivered to the table or at the latest, halfway through the meal. We can then make immediate adjustments.

We now have new beds throughout the hotel and do not accept your comments of everything being 'grubby'.

We run an honest business, here and are proud of what we present to the public 365 days a year. If Stanhill Court Hotel was such a terrible place why do guests return again and again, why do we host 60 weddings every year and receive such wonderful praise for staff and food and why have we managed to retain corporate business customers for years on end.

We have owned this hotel for 23 years, now. 23 years ago you may have had cause for complaint but not in 2014.

Perhaps you could make yourself known to us on your next stay and we can discuss your complaints in more detail.

Owner
Fleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel the night before travelling from Gatwick. As a family of 5 adults travelling with two children under 2 years we wanted to be close to the airport on the morning of our departure as take-off was at 7am and a lot of the party lived over 2 hours away. Our stay was fine, food ok but not up to the standards I'd expected. We had 4 cars within our party, which we parked in the hotel car park and left our keys at reception as requested. Upon our return, we arrived back at the hotel just after 10pm after a 4 hour delay on our flight. We went to reception to collect our keys, which were handed over and off we went to get our cars to drive home, assuming that they were parked where we'd left them a week earlier. The car park was pitch black, which was a nightmare as we tried to carry our sleeping babies. We were astonished to find that one of our cars was missing. Naturally, we panicked, thinking that it had been stolen as no one at reception had informed us otherwise. We looked for ten minutes, walking up and down the car park by the light of our phones. When we realised it definitely wasn't there we hastily returned to the man at reception who initially told us that it hadn't been moved because there was no note left with the keys. He didn't show much concern for our situation but got his mobile phone out and went back into the hotel, returning a few minutes later to advise it was within the hotel grounds and that it had been moved during our week away. We were obviously relieved but completely disappointed with the situation especially after our arduous journey home up to that point. We won't be using this hotel in the future.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Louise S
We must apologise for your experience when collecting your cars upon return from holiday. We have been delighted that at last business was enjoying a resurgence not seen for some time. Unfortunately this large influx of business did catch us unawares and we were rather untidy with the parking situation.

This was resolved as quickly as possible and we now have a dedicated 'long term' parking area set to one side of the hotel. I'm also dissapointed that the lighting wasn't working as the timing is set to midnight and we also have sensor lighting in place covering other areas.

Our staff should have informed you of where cars were parked as they were certainly aware of the situation. I appreciate that this is not helpful when you have experienced a delayed flight but trust that because you enjoyed your stay that you will return to us again on another occasion.

Kind regards,
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 June 2014

This hotel is well placed for the airport and the rooms are adequate given the price of the hotel. Me and my wife met my parents there (they were flying out of Gatwick and we had just arrived in the UK from Hong Kong) for a night and choose the hotel on not only its location but the idea that the restaurant would serve us up a nice meal. The setting and the service of the restaurant is very good however the food was below standard. It felt that the chef was trying to punch above his weight and it didn't quite hit the mark. I wouldn't let the food put you off staying for the night but don't expect too much.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review - we are disappointed with your comments regarding our food - more often than not, we get praise for our food and guests return again and again. I'm sorry we got it wrong during your stay.

In any event, we look forward to welcoming you again on another occasion.
Stanhill Court Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlwood
Langshott Manor Hotel Gatwick
Gatwick Corner House Hotel
Sandman Signature London Gatwick Hotel
Premier Inn London Gatwick Airport (North Terminal) Hotel
Holiday Inn London-Gatwick Airport
Copthorne Hotel London Gatwick

Been to Stanhill Court Hotel? Share your experiences!